Some questions about Playstation Plus (should I get it?)

This is a discussion on Some questions about Playstation Plus (should I get it?) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So yeah, I've been thinking about this for a long time and finally I have money to actually get the ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Some questions about Playstation Plus (should I get it?)

So yeah, I've been thinking about this for a long time and finally I have money to actually get the 1-year membership. I KNOW it's a lot of free stuff and that it's worth it, but for some reason I still don't know if I should.
    The thing is, I have only around 40Gb of space left on my console (damn 160Gb model) and I'm wondering if all the free games take up that much space.
    So of course I have a couple of questions regarding Plus, if anyone would be so kind to answer them I'd appreciate it A LOT.

1. If you get a free game on PS+ but then delete it, can you download it again, let's say, 3 months later (assuming I still have Plus by the way) for free?

2. My brother also has his own account and user on the console, if I get Plus and the free games, can he play them as well on his user/account?

3. I've heard you also get PS1 and Minis for free, is this true? And also, how much time are free games free? Only for that month or you can get them later too?

4. You get 1Gb of Cloud storage, but is it only for the account that is Plus? I ask because if I wanted to upgrade my PS3 HDD in the future, I know I can backup my savegames on Cloud, but since my brother also has his save data on his user, doing a system backup to an external portable HDD (or whatever they're called in English, these things) and then restoring it to the newly installed HDD on the console, could the data get corrupt and lost?

Well, thank you for your time, I know it can be a bit confusing, it's just that none of my friends have Plus and I just wanna make sure I can get the best out of it. Thanks again!

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

PRO Member

Some really thought out questions. I'm interested to see what people post, as I also, don't have the plus membership

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

PRO Member

I recently got plus as a gift from a friend, so i can't answer all your questions because i don't use cloud and such, however i can answer the following:

2. My brother also has his own account and user on the console, if I get Plus and the free games, can he play them as well on his user/account?
    YES
    Any account can play the PSPlus games as long as its on the same console

3. I've heard you also get PS1 and Minis for free, is this true? And also, how much time are free games free? Only for that month or you can get them later too?
    YES
    There are times when PS1 and Minis show up as free. it really depends on the month as the free games are always changing. The game is only free when its free, if you no longer have the downloaded free version on your console, when you go to get it again later it will cost the price that you now see.

Hope this helped

and also, any game you purchase while you have plus, even if its at a VERY discounted price, that game will always be yours, even after your plus expires.

Kid, not loser

1. Yeah I am pretty sure it works that way.

2. Yes, you can download it all on another console with the same account. I do the same with my brother.

3. There haven't been as many minis or PSOne games lately on there, but yes they do come up ever so often. You have a set period to dl them, and there will be a section in the store with the games that will expire soon.

4. No, at least I don't think. Many people use the cloud so the data won't get corrupted, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

PRO Member

1. Yes, as long as you downloaded it once and remain a plus member, you should be able to...I haven't been limited on my DLs at all.

2. Yes, he can play them on his account, especially if it's on the same PS3.

3. Yes, some games though have a "limited" amount of time that you can get them for free, but if you just put it in your DL list, you'll be able to go back at any time and actually download it

4. Yes, it's only for the account that is a plus account and with the recent increase of storage space and the never ending fear of losing your data, it is absolutely worth every single penny to subscribe.

I've been a plus member since launch and I don't plan on ever cancelling it I hope this helps you with your decision. I've been happy with it ever since!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 9 - Gold

Thank you all for your quick and helpful replies!
    I guess I'll just get Plus then, and tell my lazy-ass brother to get it as well so he can backup his saves, haha.
    Then if I got into my account in another PS3 (a friend's) he could get the free games too? This is quite useful!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I can't give you many definitive answers, but I can definitely give you a free bump and some things I've read/heard:

1. Pretty sure you can download things as many times as you want. I've never done it myself, but I believe my friend has before. His download list is ridiculous; almost 2000 items, I think. Assuming you still have Plus, the game will always be yours.

2. Just fired up my PS3 to see if this would work. I have Plus and logged in to a different account and the games I've gotten through Plus seemed to work fine. So your brother should be able to enjoy the games you get.

3. I've only had Plus for a few weeks, so I don't know about minis and PS1 games. Pretty sure it is true, though, as my friend who has Plus has a ton of minis and classics and I don't think he'd spend actual money on most of them. I haven't found any other "free" games on the store, so I think they are just free for the month, then you lose the ability to get them for free... But that could just be because I haven't had it long enough for stuff to expire. Oh. There's an "expiring soon" category in the PS Plus menu in the store, so... There could be your answer.

4. The online storage is ONLY for the account with Plus, so... Bad news there. BUT! I just upgraded my HDD to 1TB and I can tell you pretty much everything was transferred over with no problems using the backup utility. Just get an external hard drive or flash drive, do the backup and you'll be set with everything. It's a pretty painless procedure, assuming you can get the external drive formatted to FAT32. (And if you have that problem, some google searches will help you find a decent program for that.)

Gosh. For not having much to say, I sure said a whole ton. Anywho, hope some of that helped and hope the bump helps you find someone who actually knows some of this stuff.
    Got a YouTube channel? Join our group: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/group.php?groupid=109

Making random gameplay videos at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRevRickyD

Message me if you make videos on YouTube or can record a commentary track and want to collaborate on some gameplay/multiplayer together. I'd like to get a group of people together from PS3T's to start making videos.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Then if I got into my account in another PS3 (a friend's) he could get the free games too? This is quite useful!
    I'm not actually sure if that would work. I may be wrong, but I believe the second PS3 would have to be registered in your name for you to be able to download anything on it. I can't imagine that Sony would be too keen on person A subscribing to Plus and downloading a bunch of games, and then passing them on to person B, who isn't a member of Plus and doesn't want to have to either subscribe to it or buy the games.

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by StewartBros View Post
    I'm not actually sure if that would work. I may be wrong, but I believe the second PS3 would have to be registered in your name for you to be able to download anything on it. I can't imagine that Sony would be too keen on person A subscribing to Plus and downloading a bunch of games, and then passing them on to person B, who isn't a member of Plus and doesn't want to have to either subscribe to it or buy the games.
    No, it is possible for somebody to download the free games from your account. I've tried it before and it worked. It's a bad idea though, I know one person on here that got banned for sharing his account with one of his friends.

Lvl 7 - Gold

1. If you get a free game on PS+ but then delete it, can you download it again, let's say, 3 months later (assuming I still have Plus by the way) for free?

Yes. You will always be able to re-download the game as long as you have an active subscription. Even if you let the subscription expire and renew months down the road, those games will once again be available for you to re-download.

Yes. Anyone and everyone on your system can play. It's perfectly fine with Sony and they even tell you that in the fine print. It's meant to be like that so that sibblings/family/friends on your console can all use your games and don't have to buy their own.

Yes, minis and PSOne games are offered as well, though it seems like they've been leaning more towards PSN/PS3 games lately. The same rules apply minis/ps1 games as any other games - they're always available to re-download at any point as long as you're active. I suggest you just "purchase" them when they come out, even if you don't plan on downloading them. That way they're saved into your download history in case you forget about them in the meantime.

4. You get 1Gb of Cloud storage, but is it only for the account that is Plus? I ask because if I wanted to upgrade my PS3 HDD in the future, I know I can backup my savegames on Cloud, but since my brother also has his save data on his user, doing a system backup to an external portable HDD (or whatever they're called in English, these things) and then restoring it to the newly installed HDD on the console, could the data get corrupt and lost?

Cloud only works for the actual PS+ account, so your brother cannot upload his saves online. You should be fine backing up to an external harddrive. I've done it in the past, and use it to back up any data I don't plan on using for long breaks at a time.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 9 - Gold

Thanks again, everybody, you guys rule.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Qurb View Post
    No, it is possible for somebody to download the free games from your account. I've tried it before and it worked. It's a bad idea though, I know one person on here that got banned for sharing his account with one of his friends.
    Hmm, okay, I stand corrected. It may be possible to do so, but like you said, it's not worth the hassle if Sony get wind of what you're up to.