GameCentre Worlds Most Popular Gaming Platform!

This is a discussion on GameCentre Worlds Most Popular Gaming Platform! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Game centre has over 50 Million users while Xbox Live has around 30 million. Speaking at the firm's Worldwide Developers ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

GameCentre Worlds Most Popular Gaming Platform!

Game centre has over 50 Million users while Xbox Live has around 30 million.

Speaking at the firm's Worldwide Developers Conferece (WWDC) in San Francsico today, Scott Forstall gave an update on the service with some landmark figures

Calling Game Center "the most popular gaming platform on the planet", Forstall revealed that there were more than 100,000 game and entertainment titles now available in the App Store.

But as Microsoft's E3 conference moved forward at E3 in Los Angeles, he also had a message for Apple's competitors in the gaming space.

"In just nine months we have 50 million Game Center users," he said. "To put that into perspective Xbox Live has been around for about eight years and they have around 30 million users."

As we reported in our live blog of the event, Forstall also revealed that Achievement points would be coming to Game Center, as the platform becomes more social. You'll be able to see what friends - and what friends of friends - are playing, and how well they're doing on your favourite games.

Player Hater

So Steve Jobs quit his position as Apple CEO to... concentrate on his ps3t.com profile?!?
    Welcome to the fold, Mr Jobs.
    I also disagree that GameCenter can be considered a gaming 'platform'. It's a social service that compares games played amongst friends. You can't purchase or download games from it. You can't play games on it. It's more akin to Facebook than it is XBox Live or PSN.

Crocodile Hunter

Sig by Apokolypz

An old-fashioned cowboy

Okay here's a couple things.
    1. 95% of those games aren't worth the time it takes to download them. In other words they're crap.
    2. iOS is not a gaming platfrom it's a MOBILE platform.
    3. Game Center is free to use while 360 users have to pay if they want to use online features.
    4. 80 million plus users play Farmville, does that make Facebook the world's largest gaming platform then?

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Keyser View Post
    So Steve Jobs quit his position as Apple CEO to... concentrate on his ps3t.com profile?!?
    Welcome to the fold, Mr Jobs.
    I also disagree that GameCenter can be considered a gaming 'platform'. It's a social service that compares games played amongst friends. You can't purchase or download games from it. You can't play games on it. It's more akin to Facebook than it is XBox Live or PSN.
    I would have to disagree because I'm sure you can call the whole ios devices a viable gaming platform, and on game centre you can download games in the GameCentre app and there is now achievement system, so i would call it a games platform.

PRO Member

Its still comparing apples to oranges as the old saying goes

Lvl 4 - Silver

I still think that game centre can be compared to the likes of XBL and PSN because Game centre is basically the online network while the iPhone, iPod touch or iPad are the advanced hardware that the network is accessed from.

Platinum Procrastinator

I have to disagree that this is the worlds most popular gaming platform. Sure it might have that many people according to the numbers. But home many of them have PC's, a PS3, a Wii, or a 360 and use it as their primary gaming platform. I'm sure each of these people might have an iPhone or iPad etc, so they have tried one of the 100,000 plus games. However, this doesn't mean its the best gaming platform. Like SrDrRoger said, look at Farmville on Facebook.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

A plat a month!

I'm going to go with the majority here and disagree with the though that Game Center is a true platform. First, I think this is geared toward a casual market, and 2nd the whole farmville/facebook argument holds a lot of water here.

Retired

*NEW* PS360 but instead of praising Microsoft and Nintendo, he/she praises Apple

More people have Apple's stuff (I think) and they can register in a very short amount of time, and GameCenter is portable.

You can't compare it to Live and PSN

The Old Guy

If you going to post this stuff here, you could at least be considerate enough to put it in the right forum: Apple

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by undrey View Post
    *NEW* PS360 but instead of praising Microsoft and Nintendo, he/she praises Apple

More people have Apple's stuff (I think) and they can register in a very short amount of time, and GameCenter is portable.

You can't compare it to Live and PSN
    they are both probably the same people

Resident PHD

I think it is time for this comic to return. The part about not picking a user name that automatically invalidates every thing you say. We get it you like Apple, but your claim is quite stupid. How many of those people are playing more than 5 minutes a day? How many of those people use that as their primary game engine. Prediction most of the people play Angry Birds waiting for the bus and then don't touch it again until the next day.

Toggle Spoiler

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 4 - Silver

Not all the games on iPhone are 'shitty little games' there are games on this platform like assassins creed, mortal combat, nova ect these games even run more smoothly than their DS/PSP counterparts. The fact that the people who can play these games can play TOGETHER with each other through GameCentre shows that is a online gaming platform!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

lmao there goal is to have more games but most of them suck ass

An old-fashioned cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by ApplePope View Post
    Not all the games on iPhone are 'shitty little games' there are games on this platform like assassins creed, mortal combat, nova ect these games even run more smoothly than their DS/PSP counterparts. The fact that the people who can play these games can play TOGETHER with each other through GameCentre shows that is a online gaming platform!
    Okay then by your definition then Facebook is also a gaming platform cause 80+ million users can use Farmville to play togeter everyday and here's another thing, Playstaion Network has 77 million users. So here's already 2 companies right there that surpass Game Center in amount of users. This was obviously just an attempt by apple to make Microsoft look bad since both companies are rivals and failed miserably.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Game Centre is not a Social network it has games and only games!
    Facebook is a social network with games so you obviously can not compare these two.

Also Game Centres user base is growing rapidly, in only 9 months it has grown to 50 Million users, compare that with XBL and PSN which botch have had 5-6 years and game centre has already passed XBL and will probably be ahead of PSN soon anyway.

Ghost Assassin

Serious question, are you being paid by apple to spread apple propaganda on this site?

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    Serious question, are you being paid by apple to spread apple propaganda on this site?
    The answer to your 'serious question' is no i am not.
    Last edited by ApplePope; 10-04-2011 at 12:30 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Me & Ming @ The Stash

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    Damnit I wish I still had rep

Awesomeness thanks to:Thunder for platbar | Bladia for sig | Sigs & Beyond