Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games.

This is a discussion on PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Pairing games with a network ID/console is really damning for someone like me who trades often....

Negator

Pairing games with a network ID/console is really damning for someone like me who trades often.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Bringing the PAIN

Yeah what happens when you go spend $60 for a game, play it on your acct, then say your son wants to play it too. But fuck him! It's on your account not his. Go buy him a copy, that or spend $10 to buy him a pass to play it!

Avi by:dsluckay
    Sig by:In2

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

...I guess I'm the only one who's aware this is still nothing but rumor right now? I'll wait until they actually announce some cold, hard facts about the system before I start calling the lynch mob and damning Sony.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Platinum Dohvakiin

No B/C not surprising, games in 1080, again not too surprising, linking a game to one psn account? You have to be sh*tting me! Are the f'ing serious? And here I thought Apple and their Itouches only being able to be linked to one pc library was a pain in the ass, this takes the cake. Congrats Sony, you have just made the most annoying, least user friendly device to date.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

PRO Member

I appreciated the backwards compatability with the PS3 to PS2 (if you had the fatboy, which I do), but what frustrated me about it was that the wireless controller always had to be plugged in. Honestly, though, I really didn't play too many PS2 titles on the PS3, I ended up trading them in and using the credit to buy PS3 games instead, same goes with the PS2 console.

I'm not sure the "no backwards compatibility" is that much of a bad thing. I mean, how many people out there, that are eager to buy a PS4, will entirely throw out their PS3? So the games won't work, play them on your PS3.

I'd rather play PS4 games anyways, because (hopefully) they're going to be that much more visually appealing.

It's really not that bad...IMO

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

PRO Member

Blizzard-Activision already did something similar to this with StarCraft 2. Each copy is essentially assigned to one Battle.net account. Might be the new normal to have multiple copies in the same house for games you really like.

I have only purchased one used game (and only saved about $5) and haven't traded any back in yet, so wouldn't be a big deal for me. Maybe there will be a system (or small fee) to transfer games from one PSN account to another, or at least we can hope. Probably likely that they will continue the online pass thing.

Either way, I don't think it's likely I'll get a PS4 for a long time, if at all.

Side note: I thought it was becoming more common nowadays to refer to 4 as "yon" (which is what you call it after 10, i.e. juuyon or 14) in japanese instead of "shi" because of the death thing. Maybe old habits die hard.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Pairing games with a network ID/console is really damning for someone like me who trades often.
    I never sell my games and I don't like the idea. What happens when that account of yours gets closed for whatever reason? These are still just rumors but if it turns out to be true I just might stop gaming.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Sony has been fucking up and to kill there own nextgen console before its wven out would be suicide
    So they want to shift people into digital downloads, even though to protect there system but hackers will crack it eventually
    then what were stuck paying high price for games a year old? Change your game plan seriously
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

The Temple of the King

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    ...I guess I'm the only one who's aware this is still nothing but rumor right now? I'll wait until they actually announce some cold, hard facts about the system before I start calling the lynch mob and damning Sony.
    I'll repeat this just in case others missed it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I did not hear any news from Sony themselves as of yet.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Angel of Death

Lots of bad news to me. Maybe I'll finally have to switch over to the 720... If they don't make the same stupid moves as Sony. Also, superstition is stupid...

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Lets hope these are rumours because this is all yet another incentive for me not to get one immediately which I wouldn't do anyway. And it will upset the general populous which it already seems to have done so, even if they are rumours. If this did come to pass, I'd be sticking with my Ps3 for a lot longer than I originally thought. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Deathless Destroyer

Really I'm not surprised with the rumours, except for the "linking to one account" BULLSHIT. I'd understand if it was linked to a console, but an account is taking it way too far. What if I create another account because something screwed up on said account? (hackers mess up game stats etc)

If this is true, then there is a high (not certain) chance that I'll be buying a PS4.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 5 - Silver

Well the account linked for playing games is crap, total crap. & the bc issue...? you know its tuff to say , but something tells me as awesome as next gen is going to be , that i will find myself going back to play some if not many of my ps3 games for awhile, more so than when i first had ps3 and played ps2 (i had a bc ps3 there) I could be wrong. And considering i have 2 PS3S which my 80gb fat just took its second dump on me (its now a good paperweight that stays on say bout 10 min before screen freezing), well all that in mind, it would be nice to have bc on ps4, but if not ,hopefully my slim last. And truthfully its all to far away, and hopefully more than 50% is speculation and not fact yet anyways. Just my opinions if it is.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i'll stick with the ps3 for a while i think

Threat

Doubt any of this is true.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Doubt any of this is true.
    PS4 dev kits are out. System capabilities are known to developers already, otherwise they can't fully develop games for launch. Rumours and speculation maybe, but the odds are it's well-informed. Everything points to an E3 2013 reveal, we'll know more by then.

The B/C bothers me because the leap from PS3 to PS4 will be a minor upgrade compared to PS2 to PS3. PS3 hardware fail rates are significantly higher than prior generations, so without adequate hardware support well into the next, our PS3 libraries are useless. Given the size of my PS3 library that's a problem, but I've bought enough PS3's to cover me for a decade to come. That's important given half my games were bought for my kids to play when they're older.

And yep...account-locking games is a ball-ache. I'm not buying multiple copies for my kids to play on their accounts, so either they play on mine at a time when I'm likely to want to use it, or they miss out.

Cheap online passes is a compromise I can live with, but if I own the game and the console, I should be able to use it as much as I like. Music isn't licenced to one MP3 player, movies aren't licenced to one TV, books aren't licenced to one e-reader, Windows isn't licenced per PC account. I understand the business imperative to maximise profit, but this will mean less money from me, not more.

Kiwi Defender

Good thing I'll do with my PS3 what I did with my PS and PS2: keep it . Regarding the rest, it was expected, but it doesn't mean it is any less disappointing.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Platinum Procrastinator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    PS4 dev kits are out. System capabilities are known to developers already, otherwise they can't fully develop games for launch. Rumours and speculation maybe, but the odds are it's well-informed. Everything points to an E3 2013 reveal, we'll know more by then.

The B/C bothers me because the leap from PS3 to PS4 will be a minor upgrade compared to PS2 to PS3. PS3 hardware fail rates are significantly higher than prior generations, so without adequate hardware support well into the next, our PS3 libraries are useless. Given the size of my PS3 library that's a problem, but I've bought enough PS3's to cover me for a decade to come. That's important given half my games were bought for my kids to play when they're older.

And yep...account-locking games is a ball-ache. I'm not buying multiple copies for my kids to play on their accounts, so either they play on mine at a time when I'm likely to want to use it, or they miss out.

Cheap online passes is a compromise I can live with, but if I own the game and the console, I should be able to use it as much as I like. Music isn't licenced to one MP3 player, movies aren't licenced to one TV, books aren't licenced to one e-reader, Windows isn't licenced per PC account. I understand the business imperative to maximise profit, but this will mean less money from me, not more.
    ^^This right here. I only have the one PS3 and if that one breaks I'd go out and buy another. However, after I finish college and get a good paying job I'll probably have two or three setups locates throughout my house and linking your games to one system is the worst idea I've heard yet. I would switch back to Microsoft or Nintendo before I supported this.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Angel of Death

Now that I think of it, the games will cost more than $60 without a doubt, so buying multiples will suck. Yeah, 8th gen might as well be dead to me now.

An old-fashioned cowboy

Not too worried about the BC since I always keep my consoles. I'm not thrilled about the locking of discs to one ID/console since my friends borrow games from me and vice versa.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast