Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games.

This is a discussion on PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My main concern is this, how much is it gonna cost me to buy a PS4Orbis?...

Hero of Kvatch

My main concern is this, how much is it gonna cost me to buy a PS4Orbis?

"War, war never changes."

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_TKO View Post
    Probably the same the PS3 at launch.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by MTL_TKO View Post
    Probably a little bit too expensive like the PS3.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    I disagree. I'd be surprised if they sold at higher than $400 given the teething issues with the PS3 launch price.

Hero of Kvatch

Plus inflation and then plus x amount of added profit

"War, war never changes."

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    Lets hope these are rumours because this is all yet another incentive for me not to get one immediately which I wouldn't do anyway. And it will upset the general populous which it already seems to have done so, even if they are rumours. If this did come to pass, I'd be sticking with my Ps3 for a lot longer than I originally thought. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Good thing I'll do with my PS3 what I did with my PS and PS2: keep it . Regarding the rest, it was expected, but it doesn't mean it is any less disappointing.
    This stuff right here. I'm more than happy with my PS3 and I don't like the discs being locked to one account/system. That will prevent me from picking up upon release all by itself...not to mention the cost of the thing.

And what Ant1 said about music, movies, etc...they aren't limited so why should games be. I'm not looking forward to next gen

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

> Restart Button <

I just got to PS3/360 gen last July while some of you have been here for awhile. I'm comfy and I think the PS3 is good all by itself. There are still a bunch of games that I haven't played. I'm sure Sony will get there fill of launch buyers though.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    I just got to PS3/360 gen last July while some of you have been here for awhile. I'm comfy and I think the PS3 is good all by itself. There are still a bunch of games that I haven't played. I'm sure Sony will get there fill of launch buyers though.
    Well, you arrived late, but you did save yourself some nice time and money. Most of the 'best' games both console have to offer are already cheap afterall .

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    I disagree. I'd be surprised if they sold at higher than $400 given the teething issues with the PS3 launch price.
    That's very true, but $400 seems too generous at the moment. We'll have to see how technologically powerful the thing is first, then we'll be able to get a general idea ourselves. Then we'll have to wait for the next Microsoft console to get a tentative price as well, so we get a better idea of what Sony's approach might be.

Oh well, time to play the waiting game.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Music isn't licenced to one MP3 player, movies aren't licenced to one TV, books aren't licenced to one e-reader, Windows isn't licenced per PC account.
    Let's not give them any ideas.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

That's very true, but $400 seems too generous at the moment. We'll have to see how technologically powerful the thing is first, then we'll be able to get a general idea ourselves. Then we'll have to wait for the next Microsoft console to get a tentative price as well, so we get a better idea of what Sony's approach might be.
    Judging by the dev kit specs, it'll be a cheaply-made console using generic chips instead of expensive custom processors. I'm eagerly waiting to be underwhelmed, though it won't be to the same extent as the piss-poor Wii U.

They'll need room to move for discounting, so $400 USD / $450 AUD / £300 at launch seems about right so they can move down to $300 USD within 12-18 months. By that stage (early 2015?) the Wii U will be around $200 and force downward pressure on the PS4 & 720.

At most, I'd expect $50 more than that ($450 USD). If they hit $500 for the US market, they can kiss it good-bye.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'll just keep my PS3 and buy a beast PC to play next-gen games.
    If all this info is true then it sucks donkey balls and even the Wii U will be better. Not being able to play PS1, PS2 or PS3 games AND blocking used games is the most stupid idea I've read in a while. I liked those times when you could just get a console, put the disc on and fucking PLAY. beat the game? Your friends can just borrow it.
    Now it's becoming too damn shadowy and we're being charged for stuff like DLC and Online Passes that shouldn't exist.
    I still keep my old systems and I use them, but it doesn't mean the direction "consoles" are heading it's the right one.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 7 - Gold

Well then f*** Sony.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 8 - Gold

What the fuck have these companies been smoking? IT'S NOTHING BUT BAD NEWS!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I don't understand why they don't make systems backward compatible from the get go.

Lvl 5 - Silver

I just had a thought. if they lock each game to one account, how would something like gamefly stay in business? I mean that's assuming once you put the disc in your drive and run it, it'd be locked to that account. also wouldnt this put gamestop and other places like them out of business because nobody would be able to trade anything in.

Maybe im getting all this comepletely wrong but i dont really get how they can lock it to one account. is it something like a single code, similar to online passes? in which case you'd have to just buy a code then if your buying used? renting would blow tho if that was the case.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Eyekawn View Post
    I don't understand why they don't make systems backward compatible from the get go.
    It costs a lot of time and effort to develop a B/C chip, partly the reason the launch PS3 was priced at AU$1000 on top of the Blu-Ray and other good stuff. Also when upscaling a console designed for only 240/360p (like PS1 I think), the image would be incredibly stretched when paired with the [current] 4096p displays.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't want a ps4 to play ps3 games just like I dident want a ps3 to play ps2 games -_-

Lvl 6 - Silver

Surely not everyone HAS internet (or certainly not ultra fast internet that will allow games to be streamed, my net coughs and splutters from a film in lovefilm) so I can't see that streaming games like that as a viable option. I can't really see Sony getting rid of all the content on PSstore, so presumably they would give the option of full download (like it is currently) or streaming, but again, not everyone has net.
    The used game thing is pretty unrealistic too, places like gamestop and whatever rely heavily on the income provided by trading in games and selling them higher, it's a likely scenario that they would eventually tell Sony ''Bollocks'' and stop selling their stuff (or certainly, stop selling as much of their stuff at least) as obviously it would cost them loads, and if a company is costing someone else money, they aint gonna remain friends and want to sell their stuff.
    And the one account would suck for people who have families and stuff that play on their machines, doesn't affect me, but can understand why it would piss people off.
    Sorry, but as it stands, this is all hear'say, and therefore until I hear some concrete evidence, that's what it shall remain.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Pricing of the PS4 is likely going to be ridiculous (again - remember PS3 at start) - with no discernable additional gain for the gamer. I bought my PS3 three years in (IIRC), after a major price drop and I am really happy with it. There are still stacks of great games waiting for me, so a "whatever it is called but not 4" is something I can really do without for a long, long while.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Honestly, I think Sony will go bankrupt before the PS4/Orbis even begins mass manufacturing.

Betting on a end of 2014 date.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast