Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games.

This is a discussion on PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; New details about the PlayStation 3's successor: First, Orbis isn't the final name, but PlayStation 4 is out. Second, games ...

illegal in 9 countries

PS4 not backwards compatible. Will use Gaikai to stream PS3 games.

New details about the PlayStation 3's successor: First, Orbis isn't the final name, but PlayStation 4 is out. Second, games will look like Lucasarts' Star Wars: 1313. Finally, no backwards compatibility in the new console but classics will be in the cloud.

While the PlayStation 3 celebrates a major milestone even as its sun starts to fade, rumors about the heir to the PlayStation throne continue to leak out of the game development world. The latest details about the fourth generation machine come from Europe, shedding new light on how the PlayStation 4 or Orbis will support 4K resolution output, how used games will be handled by the console, and just how Sony will leverage the recently purchased Gaikai cloud-gaming service in its machine.

British magazine PSM3 (the details of which were reprinted by German website The G Net) provides a wealth of new information to supplement a recent story about the console that confirmed Sony will not call its console PlayStation 4. The reason: The Japanese word for 4 is “shi,” which also happens to mean death. While it might seem silly to break from nearly two decades of successful branding because a two words sound alike, it’s important to remember how branding has negatively affected the Xbox and Xbox 360 in Japan. Where “X” marks the spot in the US, it’s a negative sign in Japanese culture. (Hence why the circle button on PlayStation controllers is used to confirm most actions in Japanese games, not the X button like in the US.)

PSM3’s source claims that the device, which Sony refers to by the codename Orbis, will play games that look similar to recent tech demos for games like Star Wars 1313 and Square-Enix’s Agni’s Philosophy demo. These games, however, will not run in 4K resolution as has been hinted at in the past. If 4K playback support does make it into the final version of the fourth generation PlayStation, it will be for video.

Sony will be taking more severe measures against piracy. Previous rumors about the Orbis suggested that Sony might try to block used, disc-based games from working on the console. This new report claims that it will do so by linking each individual game to a specific PlayStation Network account.

Unlike past Sony consoles, Orbis will not have backwards compatibility with PlayStation 3, at least not with Blu-ray disc games. Sony will instead offer classic games through a cloud-based streaming service run through Gaikai’s infrastructure.
    Of all the rumors surrounding the next PlayStation, its lack of backwards compatibility is the most disappointing. PlayStation creator Ken Kutaragi was insistent that every PlayStation made be able to play the previous consoles’ discs at a hardware level. Obviously Sony started moving away from this philosophy swiftly with the very first hardware revisions of the PlayStation 3, but it’s still sad.

The PlayStation 4, Orbis, or whatever Sony decides to name it, is expected to debut at E3 2013.

Source: No PS3 games, but PlayStation 4 will stream classics through Gaikai | Digital Trends
    TLDR: B/C is out for PS4, PS3 games to stream on Gaikai, PS4 to be more like PS3.5 with 1080p as the default game setting, won't be named PS4.

Well that sucks, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who saw all of that coming. I'm not buying my PS3 games again for Gaikai, so it looks like I'll be sticking with the PS3 for a loooooong time to come.

INTJ

Look like Lucasarts' Star Wars: 1313.

so basically PC games?

Game streaming is a bad idea and i am glad onlive is effectively dead before they started it off.

can't wait for someone to crack into the ps3 os full force and make emulators for it.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Orbis suggested that Sony might try to block used, disc-based games from working on the console. This new report claims that it will do so by linking each individual game to a specific PlayStation Network account.
    Boooooooo

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Boooooooo
    Exactly what I thought.... No way I'm buying brand new games each time.
    Apparently it's against the Law in Europe/UK though. As you've got to be able to sell on games etc.

This all doesn't sound promising

INTJ

also yay this video is relevant again

The One and Only

Meh, I'll wait until a "PS4" Slim comes out, if I decide to get one. Not a big deal really.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    so basically PC games?

Game streaming is a bad idea and i am glad onlive is effectively dead before they started it off.

can't wait for someone to crack into the ps3 os full force and make emulators for it.
    Oh god this.

The PSV and PSP are only good for emulation, and it would be great if you could emulate on the PS3 finally, the PSP space is limited, and the Vita is garbage.

Honestly, my PS3 is only useful for exclusives, but if emulation were to come into play, it would be great.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Yeah I'm not keen for streaming PS3 games, or any games for that matter. Games running at 1080p was always going to be the target, so I'm not worried about that. I read a while ago that Sony was aiming for 3D games running at 1080p/60fps and this sounds on target. 4k implementation would be nice to futureproof the console as a home media player, but not really a dealbreaker at this point, especially when 4k TVs cost well over $10k atm.

It's all well and good to complain about no backwards compatibility, but in all honesty, after buying a PS3 the only times I ever touched my PS2 games were playing at a mate's place, and to see the graphical disparity between the PS2 and PS3 (which is huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge). Besides, my PS3 is going strong, so even if I get a PS4 (or whatever its called by then), my PS3 will still be around for me to indulge in nostalgia.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Linking games to a PSN account? Thanks but no thanks. I'm not too bothered by BC since I'm used to it, but linking games to an account I don't own is crap.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent Assassin View Post
    Linking games to a PSN account? Thanks but no thanks. I'm not too bothered by BC since I'm used to it, but linking games to an account I don't own is crap.
    You raise an interesting point there, I hadn't considered that. If for whatever reason your PSN account is "lost" to you, does that render your game collection as scrap? Screw that!

Lvl 5 - Silver

I'd only be behind this cloud service if ya know all the games i already paid money for and are already linked to my PSN via trophies, cloud saves, etc etc were given to me for free.

Also its not like it really matters because judging by how the PS1 and PS2 classics are treated now, there wont be much in there worth checking out anyways.

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Boooooooo
    This right here. It would really suck having to buy new games all the time. This would make me go crazy.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Myself personally I think this is a good move for the PS4. IMO they need to care more about the future of gaming & less about making it compatible with the older consoles games. Want to play a previous version game well you should own the previous console as well or just move on, simple.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

> Restart Button <

That's okay. I won't be getting a PS4 anytime soon after it releases. That does suck though for those who want it when it drops.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Sometimes I get the idea that Sony gets off on disappointing people.

WHO DAT!!!!

ill be getting my PS4 day one and i own 3) PS3's at this point so it wont matter to me. Im always ready for new TECH, so im down( whatever Sony does for the PS4 will be awesome)

PRO Member

It would be a shame to say this actually comes as a surprise for me ... the PS3 didn't have B/C (with the exception of the launch consoles) and Sony managed to turn that loss of a feature into more money by selling us old games we already own ... I kind of expected it would be the same thing for the "PS4"

This isn't what bothers me though ... what bothers me is the "linking games to your profile" thing ... its just got bad news written all over it to me

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Retired

Doesn't affect me anyway, I buy games new.

Although the linking game on one account bothers me.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

So not cool. First reducing active system limit and now bringing it down to one user? Yea, thanks but no thanks. My family likes to play games too you douches.
    Looks like my seldom used Gears 360 will start paying off sooner than expected.
    Check out my YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/GenCapGaming

Hesitation Equals Regret

Lvl 7 - Gold

as i buy only new games it doesnt effect me, but still i dont like it as usually i will sell these games after i finish them and at least get soem money back, seems like i will nto be able to do that

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast