PlayStation 4 Rumoured to Support Native 4K Resolution (Ultra HD)

This is a discussion on PlayStation 4 Rumoured to Support Native 4K Resolution (Ultra HD) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PS3 News: PlayStation 4 will support 4K resolution - report - ComputerAndVideoGames.com Sony's next-generation PlayStation 4 console will support ultra ...

Deathless Destroyer

PlayStation 4 Rumoured to Support Native 4K Resolution (Ultra HD)

PS3 News: PlayStation 4 will support 4K resolution - report - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Sony's next-generation PlayStation 4 console will support ultra HD '4K Resolution' displays, according to a new rumour.

Citing an anonymous source, Yahoo reports that the next-gen console will be capable of pumping out the super-high-resolution images expected to be possible on a rumored new 4K resolution TV from Sony.

Just as the PS3 was key in the establishment of Blu-ray HD and, later, 3D content, the PS4's super HD capability will apparently come as part of Sony's plan to push the new 4K resolution tech out to consumers.

4K resolution is the term used in digital cinematography to broadly describe a resolution (pixel count) of around 4000 pixels horizontally on a display. This is similar to 'Ultra HD', or 'Quad Full High Definition' (QFHD), which at 3840x2160, is four times today's full HD resolution of 1920x1080.

According to the report, the PS4's 4K resolution support will span both movies and games, the latter of which would prove mightily impressive if true.

PS3 is capable of 1920x1080 resolution, but only a small number of games manage to run at that spec, so 3840x2160 or higher at 60 frames-per-second would be incredible (if a little hard to believe at this point).

Despite rumours of a late 2013 release for at least one of Sony or Microsoft's next-gen consoles, Sony has said it's not prepared to reveal its PlayStation 4 console until the system can demonstrate 'a significant leap' in technology.
    What are your thoughts on this?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

illegal in 9 countries

Video only.

Don't care.

Prayer Warrior

while that's cool and all....i just bought a brand new 2012 model 3D tv this year and i love it and don't really want to or plan on buying another new tv anytime soon. i would like to have atleast a 5 year life span out of my tv now before i even think of purchasing another one. but i know me and i gota have the latest and greatest and once next gen hits i'll be in line to get the ps4 and a new 4K tv. damn you sony

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 3 - Bronze

how about make the ps3 play in 1080 first... most games play in 720
    how many games play in 1080? not nearly as many as I would like...

Kid, not loser

It's more than likely this will be for the PS4. Rumors of this actually have been coming out a lot. In a couple years, 4000k tvs will become much more broad, so in order for the PS4 to have a big life cycle similar to the PS2/3 it will need this.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWaWa View Post
    how about make the ps3 play in 1080 first... most games play in 720
    how many games play in 1080? not nearly as many as I would like...
    That's mostly on the devs fault, not really the PS3. If devs think it's good enough at 720p, they think "No reason to put the effort to make it better than this."

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Deathless Destroyer

The PS3 is fully capable of supporting native 1080p60 (1080p resolution running at 60fps). Developers just don't put the effort to develop native 1080p content.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Rangers F.C

The other thread says video 4k and games 1080p ( just rumors ) but still this is a bit strange for me , when I bought my PS3 it also made me upgrade everything because I wanted the best picture for gaming and the Blu-ray movies side of it was just a bonus to me but if the next gen console plays games at 1080p and movies at 4k then there would be no point in an upgrade at all , movies are great and all but 1080p for movies is a good enough picture . 4k for movies only would not make me even think about getting another TV . IMO it would be better if the PS4 did 4k for both because the games we do get in 1080p look great but I don't think its good enough to last the ten years of the consoles life .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

I will wait. Those 4k TVs are going for more than some decent cars

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 9 - Gold

Don't know if it could handle 4k for games with what people have said its GPU is supposed to be to get 4k games on a PC you need a lot more than what was rumoured to go into the PS4.

Alot of these rumours about next gen consoles are getting pretty worrying, lets hope theyre not fact.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    Don't know if it could handle 4k for games with what people have said its GPU is supposed to be to get 4k games on a PC you need a lot more than what was rumoured to go into the PS4.

Alot of these rumours about next gen consoles are getting pretty worrying, lets hope theyre not fact.
    Agreed , there are far too many different things floating about and to be honest have not liked the idea of any of them

1- 4k video / 1080p games ...... hmm thought this gen was SUPPOSED to do that
    2- Streaming games
    3- Games locked
    4- Not backwards compatible , not a big deal but I have enough stuff at my TV , surround sound player , sub-woofer , SKY HD box , PS3 , PC , and a shit load of cables , no room for 2 PS
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

-i- love myself.

Sounds pretty cool. If this is true, I cant wait to look at the outcomes.

Ghost Assassin

It would be cool, but it would cost a fortune to buy the display for the games. I just hope they never turn to game streaming to get that 4k resolution.

illegal in 9 countries

Very few high-end gaming rigs can run games at 4K. It's only in the last 2-3 years that 1080p has become the PC standard.

4K is roughly 8 x 720p, which is the resolution of most current-gen games. Even then, there are performance sacrifices on consoles to make most 720p games run at a decent FPS.

There's no way a $400-$500 2013/14 console will be able to do it, the next-gen will definitely be 1080p and will barely be capable of that.

4K won't become the standard for another 7-10 years when our 1080p HDTVs all kick the bucket. Wait for the PS5 if you want 4K games.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

wouldnt look into this until i see a real demonstration regardless of when its shown
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Very few high-end gaming rigs can run games at 4K. It's only in the last 2-3 years that 1080p has become the PC standard.

4K is roughly 8 x 720p, which is the resolution of most current-gen games. Even then, there are performance sacrifices on consoles to make most 720p games run at a decent FPS.

There's no way a $400-$500 2013/14 console will be able to do it, the next-gen will definitely be 1080p and will barely be capable of that.

4K won't become the standard for another 7-10 years when our 1080p HDTVs all kick the bucket. Wait for the PS5 if you want 4K games.
    The PS3 is fully capable of supporting 1080p60 (1080p content at 60 fps), and is priced at around $200. The console's GPU does much, much less work than a PC CPU, so let's say a PC CPU of 10GB RAM is the equivalent of a console's GPU of 3/4GB.