Games you never intended to heavily invest time into

This is a discussion on Games you never intended to heavily invest time into within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Have you ever bought a game that you thought you'd be done with in a week, yet somehow you still ...

PRO Member

Games you never intended to heavily invest time into

Have you ever bought a game that you thought you'd be done with in a week, yet somehow you still keep going back to it, and have probably spent hundreds, or even thousands of hours playing? I'm not talking about games like Skyrim, an FPS multiplayer, RPG, MMO or any other genre where it's expected that you dedicate a huge amount of time into, yet games where you didn't think would be so engrossed in after so many playthroughs, like maybe a puzzle or tower defence games.

For me, it would have to be Sudoku (a 'Mini' on the PSN) which I play on my PSP (now Vita) most nights before I go to bed. I've been doing this for a couple of years now, and have easily logged over 2000 hours in the game alone. I sometimes start it thinking it'll help put me to sleep in 30 mins or so, which it does most the time, yet on the rare occasion, I'll find myself still up 5 hours later (mostly because insomnia, yet the game helps too haha).

Another would have to be Starcraft II custom maps, specifically the 'Special Forces' map. I bought the game only interested in the single player campaign, as I'm not a fan of competitive multiplayer, yet as I'm sure many of you are aware, there are a ton of cooperative custom maps out there as well. I've probably spent over 500 hours with the Special Forces map, as I'll usually play it to wind down from the day, and listen to a podcast.

So...has anyone else had similar experiences with their past purchases?
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Platinum Procrastinator

I too have similar experiences with Sodoku except my version was free on the Android app store. I play 3-5 games on average per night before going to bed and probably another 3-5 games in the run of a day while in college. The game is really addictive and its fun trying to beat your times.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

PRO Member

Well, not going to say it's because I'm enjoying it so much, but I've put well over 100 hours into Earth Defense Force. I've been to that point of having to force myself to put it in and grind away "just a little more" several times. I've stopped playing it to play other games a few times too. Don't get me wrong it was really fun at first, but not anymore. Just talking about it is making vomit form in my throat.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I never planned on playing MW3, or its multiplayer, but a few people I worked with played it so I started. I have no idea how many hours I put in it, but I prestiged like 4 or 5 times then walked away from it.

I know thats not really what you asked for, but its all I could think of. I normally have a good guess how long a game is and unless I just don't like it I am normally plan from the start to see it to atleast the end credits.

Retired

Double Dragon Neon, when I read the IGN review, I expected it to suck, but it's great!
    LittleBIGPlanet 2, when I first played it I didn't like it, but I've spent over a hundred hours in that game.

PRO Member

For me? Probably LittleBigPlanet games. They're just extremely fun and full of endless potential. I pop it in every once in a while to try some newly developed levels.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Well, forgot to mention the ones I've enjoyed

Battlefield Bad Company 2
    Battlefield 3
    Kingdoms of Amalur

Another I just thought of that I didn't enjoy

Marvel vs Capcom 3 <--- just glad it's over
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Lvl 7 - Gold

Final Fantasy 11. Spent the better part of the past 4 years playing that game.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Up the Irons!

GTA IV

Believe it or not, I wasn't in to the GTA series going in to this game. So I was just going to play through the campaign and move on. Well, I got addicted, and now GTA is one of my favorite series.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 6 - Silver

borderlands my friends told me it was good i didnt have much of an interest in the game but then i got hooked on it and have spent many hours playing it

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by MoseSSesoM View Post
    I know thats not really what you asked for, but its all I could think of.
    Naw it matches perfectly. You didn't expect to play the MP, yet ended up mastering it

Quote Originally Posted by APriceless View Post
    GTA IV

Believe it or not, I wasn't in to the GTA series going in to this game. So I was just going to play through the campaign and move on. Well, I got addicted, and now GTA is one of my favorite series.
    Interesting. GTAIV had the opposite affect on me. Mind you, was the first time I only played it on a console.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Prayer Warrior

for me it would be UFC 3. i knew i would spend some good time with the game but it has now become my goto game. whenever i wanna play but now sure what to throw in i some how always find myself getting ready for a fight lol i love me some UFC

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Fifa 11 i cant find anyone to help me with professional club trophies
    if anyone is intersted on help me add gigiman18 please