Results 1 to 19 of 19

Static IP

This is a discussion on Static IP within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm going to set up a set up a static IP for my PS3 so I can forward some ports ...

  1. #1
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Static IP

    I'm going to set up a set up a static IP for my PS3 so I can forward some ports to get nat type 1. I'm following this guide: Setting a static IP address on the Playstation 3 - PortForward.com

    On step 11, it tells me to enter my Primary DNS and Secondary DNS. The problem is, I already entered the DNS servers on my PC and it fails. I've even used public DNS servers (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) and it still fails at connecting to the internet. Here are my PC's DNS servers:



    Does anybody know how to fix this?
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  2. #2
    Deathless Destroyer
    Encorporeus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oi Mate
    Posts
    1,073
    Reputation
    46

    Put the DNS codes the same as for router, for example 192.168.1.254. Otherwise you could try 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.8.8. Otherwise reset your router.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

    SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

    Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel



  3. #3
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Put the DNS codes the same as for router, for example 192.168.1.254. Otherwise you could try 8.8.8.8 + 8.8.8.8. Otherwise reset your router.
    I tried the same as the router, still fails. Let me try those. Also, I downloaded namebench. It gave me 2 DNS:



    It didn't work either. What does resetting the router help with?

    One more question. Do I enable UPnP?
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  4. #4
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    Aratark's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Normally at work
    Posts
    88
    Reputation
    4

    Setting up uPnP just means you don't need to set up port forwarding normally, the router auto detects the ports to forward, you may actually find it easier to use uPnP on your router than set up a static for your PS3.

    Enc is probably referring to a hard reset of the router, so basically clearing all of the settings from it, to make it fresh out of the box again, possibly you have something on there that is conflicting.

    With regard to dns settings, I just use my router for it, so my dns settings are the same as my router IP address, for me 192.168.1.1. Try getting on to your routre and enabling uPnP there, may save you some time and effort
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

    YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

  5. #5
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Aratark View Post
    Setting up uPnP just means you don't need to set up port forwarding normally, the router auto detects the ports to forward, you may actually find it easier to use uPnP on your router than set up a static for your PS3.

    Enc is probably referring to a hard reset of the router, so basically clearing all of the settings from it, to make it fresh out of the box again, possibly you have something on there that is conflicting.

    With regard to dns settings, I just use my router for it, so my dns settings are the same as my router IP address, for me 192.168.1.1. Try getting on to your routre and enabling uPnP there, may save you some time and effort
    The thing is, when I connect my PS3 to the internet automatically, on internet settings it says UPnP is not available. So I don't know if my modem has that function.

    I reboot my modem from the interface. I input the DNS addresses my PC gives me, the ones namebench gave me and the public ones. It still tells me it fails.

    Is there any way I could know the DNS addresses the PS3 uses when it does it automatically?
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  6. #6
    Lvl 5 - Silver


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    312
    Reputation
    10

    I think its your ps3 that's already used to the old DNS. Doesn't matter how many times you change it your ps3 won't recognize it. I recommend shutting off your ps3 let it set itself and try again, sometimes you need to completely shut off all the power to the ps3

  7. #7
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    Aratark's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Normally at work
    Posts
    88
    Reputation
    4

    If it does it automatically, it will use the ones that your ISP uses, so maybe speak to them, see if they can provide you some of their static IP addresses. If your router doesn't look to support uPnP, then the static IP is probably the best thing to do.

    Try going back to automatic and take a note of the dns addresses that show there and copy them in? Mine is on automatic at the minute, because my rotuer does use uPnP and my dns is set to my router IP for the primary and nothing for the secondary, and I have no problems. May swap to your router IP?

    Just tried setting mine up as a static and used my router ip for dns and it worked fine.
    I was thinking about boasting about my :plat:'s and 100%'s, but then I thought why bother, not like they're anything amazing.

    YLOD: 9/10/11. RIP

  8. #8
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    For the record, NAT 1 merely means your PS3 is directly connected to a modem, without a router.

    NAT 2 means you're connected to a router, which is then connected to a modem.

    NAT 3 means they don't know what the fuck you've done with your connection.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  9. #9
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    Port-forwarding is a ball-ache. Whack the PS3 in the DMZ instead, all ports get forwarded.

    As far as DNS goes, check the settings on your router. Change them there or leave them as your network default. It shouldn't matter on the PS3.

    I've never bothered to get UPNP working, it makes very little if any difference.

  10. #10
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by ihulk5 View Post
    I think its your ps3 that's already used to the old DNS. Doesn't matter how many times you change it your ps3 won't recognize it. I recommend shutting off your ps3 let it set itself and try again, sometimes you need to completely shut off all the power to the ps3
    I let it rest all night. I turned it back on right now and input the first DNS servers. Still fails.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aratark View Post
    If it does it automatically, it will use the ones that your ISP uses, so maybe speak to them, see if they can provide you some of their static IP addresses. If your router doesn't look to support uPnP, then the static IP is probably the best thing to do.

    Try going back to automatic and take a note of the dns addresses that show there and copy them in? Mine is on automatic at the minute, because my rotuer does use uPnP and my dns is set to my router IP for the primary and nothing for the secondary, and I have no problems. May swap to your router IP?

    Just tried setting mine up as a static and used my router ip for dns and it worked fine.
    I set it up to automatic and then went to "settings and connection status list" it gave me the first DNS addresses I used at first. (10.1.2.254 & 10.1.2.253). It still failed. Could it be something else possibly interfering?

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    For the record, NAT 1 merely means your PS3 is directly connected to a modem, without a router.

    NAT 2 means you're connected to a router, which is then connected to a modem.

    NAT 3 means they don't know what the fuck you've done with your connection.
    I have my PS3 connected to my modem via wireless. It gives me NAT type 2. I get moderate nat on CoD games and on games like RDR, GTA, AC, etc I have a lot of trouble joining sessions. That's why I want to change to 1.

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Port-forwarding is a ball-ache. Whack the PS3 in the DMZ instead, all ports get forwarded.

    As far as DNS goes, check the settings on your router. Change them there or leave them as your network default. It shouldn't matter on the PS3.

    I've never bothered to get UPNP working, it makes very little if any difference.
    Yes I read about that last night. The thing is, I have to go through this process to do this.
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  11. #11
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I have my PS3 connected to my modem via wireless. It gives me NAT type 2. I get moderate nat on CoD games and on games like RDR, GTA, AC, etc I have a lot of trouble joining sessions. That's why I want to change to 1.
    If you're being serious, then you have a modem/router combo device, which is why you'll get NAT 2. NAT 2 is ideally what you're aiming for, not NAT 1. If somehow NAT 1 works better for you, then you seriously need to configure your router.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  12. #12
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    If you're being serious, then you have a modem/router combo device, which is why you'll get NAT 2. NAT 2 is ideally what you're aiming for, not NAT 1. If somehow NAT 1 works better for you, then you seriously need to configure your router.
    I don't have a router, just a modem. Here's the thing. My modem is connected to the cable box which makes it turn on/work. This is the modem:


    I want to change to nat type 1 because it DOES work better for me for some reason. Last time I forwarded PSN and Black Ops ports and I got nat type 1/open. Then I went to GTA and had no trouble joining my friend's party.

    When I'm using 2, I can't connect to other players that also have NAT type 2.
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  13. #13
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    What is the make/model of your 'modem'?

    If it handles wireless connections, then in turn, it must have a router built into the unit.

    NAT 1 is something you'll only use if your PS3 is the ONLY device on your network, which is extremely rare. You're going to want NAT 2, with a properly configured gateway to handle your traffic.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  14. #14
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    What is the make/model of your 'modem'?

    If it handles wireless connections, then in turn, it must have a router built into the unit.

    NAT 1 is something you'll only use if your PS3 is the ONLY device on your network, which is extremely rare. You're going to want NAT 2, with a properly configured gateway to handle your traffic.
    Motorola SBG900

    How would I configure it to where I don't have any problems?
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  15. #15
    Negator
    DarkFox's Piss Bucket's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    29520
    Posts
    4,619
    Reputation
    818

    Though you probably wont need to forward any ports, here's a good place to start Port Forwarding PlayStation Network on the Motorola SBG900 - PortForward.com

    Personally, I think you should try lowering your firewall settings, or disabling it all together.


    Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

  16. #16
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Though you probably wont need to forward any ports, here's a good place to start start Port Forwarding PlayStation Network on the Motorola SBG900 - PortForward.com

    Personally, I think you should try lowering your firewall settings, or disabling it all together.
    I had already done this. It's the time I got nat type 1 for the first time. Since the IP is not static, it changed and forwarding the ports did no use. That's why I want to setup the static IP for the PS3.

    I'm going to see if making a static IP for my PC does anything.
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  17. #17
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Eddie's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,199
    Reputation
    30

    Bump. I really need to fix this error.
    Platbar by Wadefan1



  18. #18
    illegal in 9 countries


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Ōsutoraria
    Posts
    3,822
    Reputation
    594

    I think you're making it too hard for yourself. Keep it simple - wired connection, static IP, default DNS and PS3 in the DMZ should do the trick. I've had a lot of trouble in the past connecting to EA servers in particular and have mucked around with port-forwards and third-party DNS to no avail.



    The static IP and DMZ does all of the port forwarding legwork for you. There's no need to specify ports to forward nor any firewall rules to configure.

    The DNS settings shouldn't make a significant difference. Your ISP should be the best option for your internet connection. If you want to use Google's DNS servers, plug them into your modem / router.

    Wired will make a huge difference to speed and stability if you have less than a perfect wireless signal. It proved to be the secret sauce to improving my multiplayer connection issues.

  19. #19
    Deathless Destroyer
    Encorporeus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oi Mate
    Posts
    1,073
    Reputation
    46

    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Wired will make a huge difference to speed and stability if you have less than a perfect wireless signal. It proved to be the secret sauce to improving my multiplayer connection issues.
    This is the answer if all else fails.

    Wired/Ethernet connectivity is a direct connection from, in this case a PS3, to the router/modem. This offers the best possible connection stability and should not give you DNS errors (signing out automatically), slow speed (dependent on server + bandwidth used), or online matchmaking errors. Ethernet cables are cheap and are very easy to set up. If your problems persist via wireless, I recommend permanently switching to this.

    If wired fails, you most likely fk'd with your router settings. What you should do is completely power off the PS3 (not on standby), switch off router after resetting to default settings and turn it back on after 5 mins. Then turn on the PS3 and attempt to connect.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

    SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

    Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO