• Medieval Moves

2 4.55%
  • Transformers Fall of Cybertron

2 4.55%
  • XCOM: Enemy Unknown

1 2.27%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

GDT's (Wrap-Up) Videogame Elimination Deathmatch 2012

This is a discussion on GDT's (Wrap-Up) Videogame Elimination Deathmatch 2012 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It's coming back at the end of this month Made by myself Got your attention? I hope so as I ...

Ice Cream Firefighter

(remember this) GDT's Videogame Elimination Deathmatch 2012

It's coming back
    at the end of this month

Made by myself
    Got your attention?

I hope so as I would like to do something like this
    for you guys as I think this could be quite fun.

There has been alot of awesome jawdropping games that have come out this year, so lets decide which game among all of this years releases is the best of best with an elimination style tournament. How I will work this will be really simple & I hope it will work out nicely, if so then this will happen every year.

First things first, I need to know what your favourite 5 games are from 2011/12 post them here, there is no need to PM me. All have to have been released this year (1st November 2011 to 31st October 2012 so it's a solid year), not just what you have played this year (eg Deus Ex Human Revolution
    :stare: NO (Too Old), Final Fantasy 13-2 YES (Good Time Frame), COD Black Ops 2 :stare: NO (Too Recent) see where i'm going) Nominating will be open until December 5th, i'm looking for 32 titles from any Console/OS before this deathmatch can kick off.

Now here is the interesting part the top 32 games that you guys selected as your favourites will get randomly paired against each other for 5 rounds until 1 game sits on top of the mountain & will be declared the best game of the year. Each Round lasts for 2 days & we will have our #1 Game by December 15th.

Round 1 - 32 Games/16 Matches
    Round 2 - 16 Games/8 Matches
    Round 3 - 8 Games/ 4 Matches
    Round 4 - 4 Games/2 Matches
    Round 5 - 2 Games/Final Match

Voting Example Round 3 (with older games)
    Match A
    Match B
    Match C
    Match D
    So you would go about picking like this

A. Fear
    B. GOW3
    C. Castlevania
    D. Crysis 2

So if this was the vote that counted this is what Round 4 will look like

Match A
    Match B
    Ok so now that I have explained how this works, lets start to nominate our favourite games. If you still have any questions feel free to ask & I shall answer it for you.That Being Said, Lets begin!

Game names in red are links to their corresponding game review

Nominations

Toggle Spoiler

5th - 7th December (Australian)

Toggle Spoiler

A - Assassins Creed 3 vs Dragons Dogma
    B - Uncharted 3 vs Batman AC GOTY
    C - Final Fantasy XIII-2 vs Skyrim
    D - Lollipop Chainsaw vs Gravity Rush
    E - Borderlands 2 vs Saints Row The Third
    F - Tales Of Graces F vs Sound Shapes
    G - PS Allstars Battle Royale vs Darksiders 2
    H - MGS HD Collection vs Sleeping Dogs
    I - Asura's Wrath vs Assassins Creed Revelations
    J - Goldeneye Reloaded vs NFS Most Wanted
    K - The Walking Dead vs Ratchet & Clank Collection
    L - SSX vs Okami HD
    M - Prototype 2 vs Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning
    N - Journey vs Jak & Daxter Collection
    O - Dishonoured vs The Unfinished Swan
    P - Rayman Origins vs Max Payne 3

7th - 9th December (Australian)

Toggle Spoiler

A - Assassins Creed 3 vs Uncharted 3
    B - Skyrim vs Lollipop Chainsaw
    C - Borderlands 2 vs Sound Shapes
    D - Darksiders 2 vs Sleeping Dogs
    E - Assassins Creed Revelations vs NFS Most Wanted
    F - The Walking Dead vs Okami HD
    G - Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning vs Journey
    H - Dishonored vs Max Payne 3

Quarter Finals

9th - 11th December (Australian)

Toggle Spoiler

A - Uncharted 3 vs Skyrim
    B - Borderlands 2 vs Sleeping Dogs
    C - Assassins Creed Revelations vs The Walking Dead
    D - Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning vs Dishonored

Semi Finals

11th - 13th December (Australian)

Toggle Spoiler

A - Uncharted 3 vs Borderlands 2
    B - The Walking Dead vs Dishonored

The Finals

13th - 15th December (Australian)

Toggle Spoiler

Best AMV
    1-2-3-4

Battle For Third
    Uncharted 3 vs The Walking Dead

Best GDT R.I.P. Condition
    August - September - October
    November -
    December - None

Coolest Losers Of 2012

Best Thread Bumper
    Dr Mayus-User-Mute-GDT

Official Final
    Borderlands 2 vs Dishonored

Member's Choice 2012
    Game Of The Year

Borderlands 2
    by Nagflar

Banner by Ramon3110.

Basic Information:

Developer: Gearbox Software
    Publisher: 2K Games
    North American Release Date: 18/09/2012
    European Release Date: 21/09/2012
    Trophies: 1 | 2 | 9 | 39
    Trophy guide: Borderlands 2 Trophy Guide by Davey

Overview

Borderlands 2 is the sequel to the original Borderlands, which was a huge success among everyone. With Pandora returning as the setting, a new set of Vault Hunters to play as, more customization options and over a hundred bajillion guns and grenades to choose from, Borderland 2 hit the stores with massive hype backing it up and boy does it live up to it.

Gameplay

The game has your standard FPS controls, from shooting, running, throwing grenades, zooming in, crouching, jumping and other things that are part of every other shooter out there. They are, as expected, smooth and comfortable to use, and even allow for personalization in case you don’t like shooting or jumping with the pre-determined buttons. Thanks to this you can jump back into the game at any given time without worrying about not remembering the controls.

Unlike other FPS out there, Borderlands 2, like its predecessor, has different characters, each one being a different class that offer different perks and abilities. The classes in question are the Siren, a “witch” with incredible psychic powers, the Commando, a hardened soldier that may release a turret to aid him in battle, the Assassin, a ninja that may turn invisible and deal high damage from the shadows, and the Gunzerker, a tank that can deal high damage and use multiple weapons at a time. Obviously every class has different proficiencies and how well they suit up to your game style depends on how you customize their skills.

With so many skills to choose from, you'll most likely find yourself playing the game again.

As with the original Borderlands, the game has borrowed quite a few RPG elements, like the health and shield bars, leveling up and status ailments. Like in the previous game’s leveling system, you level up by completing quests or killing enemies which grants you experience points, which increase your level and increase your stats and health. Naturally, this isn’t the only thing they increase, for after level five, they grant you a skill point which you may accommodate in your pre-determined class’s skill tree, which will grant you different bonuses that will, in turn, turn you into a killing machine. How well your skills work and how efficient you are with them depends on how you play the game, which let’s one experiment multiple times with different classes.

Thanks to these RPG elements, the game turns into more than a shooter, especially thanks to the status ailments. Each status ailment has a different use. Fire is extremely useful against flesh, so hitting a Psycho enemy with it will deal higher damage. Acid is very useful against armor, so it’ll be your best friend against vehicles and robots. Electricity is effective against shields, so electricity-weapons will be favorable against most bosses (since they always have a shield). Finally, there’s Slag, which will make whatever enemy that you cover in it receive higher damage from other status ailments. Thanks to this, the game offers more variety than just popping out of cover and shooting bad guys ‘till they drop, specially since some enemies are resistant to an element and, unlike the original Borderlands, sheer bullet damage won’t hurt them.
    As mentioned before, the game has over a hundred bajillion guns and grenades (and equipment, too!). This is thanks to some randomizer Gearbox programmed into the game, which allows for you to find many different kinds of weapons with different stats and abilities. For example, you might find a grenade that, when launched, will explode into smaller grenades that’ll explode into even smaller grenades that’ll cover your enemies in acid or a sub-machine gun that’ll deal electricity damage to whoever it hits. This makes the game even more entertaining for you’ll often look out for different guns or equipment that suits your needs or the situation at hand or simply because they are insanely powerful.

Another added thing is the “badass rank”, which increases with every challenge you complete. Challenges consist of different tasks that range from killing x types a kind of monsters, to dealing x damage with a certain element or to kill xnumbers of enemies with a weapon. Completing this will increase your badass rank which will, in turn, reward you badass tokens that you can then redeem for a few added bonus to your character (like increasing your reload speed or your melee damage). The greatest thing about the badass ranks and the perks you unlock with them is that they aren’t locked to your character, but to your profile, so even if you start a new game you’ll have all those stat bonuses added to your character. Awesomeness!

So much customization!

In short, the game borrows the same things it did in it’s predecessor and cranks it up to eleven, making the experience even more entertaining.

Singleplayer

Borderlands 2 has the player back on Pandora, this time as a different set of Vault Hunters than those of the original. Now, the objective isn’t to find the Vault, but to stop Hyperion Corporation’s boss, Handsome Jack (no, he isn’t handsome), from opening it again and bringing doom unto Pandora. As if wanting to destroy/conquer Pandora wasn’t a good enough reason, Handsome Jack tried to murder you and your comrades, so this is isn’t only social service, but a vendetta, too.

Handsome Jack. Millionaire murderer CEO and all-around asshole of Hyperion Corporation.

Unlike the original Borderlands that lacked any real story development, an actual drive to finish it and mainly lived from expositional elements (like ECHO messages found in side-quests) that told you a bit more about the world of Pandora, Borderlands 2 has a set story full of twists and familiar faces that makes you want to keep playing. It no longer feels like a simple fetch quest after another, specially since you’ve got an actual drive to reach the end, which is Handsome Jack, with some badass parts and plot twists in-between. To make things better, the previous game’s humor is still intact, so you’ll keep laughing with every new conversation.

The side characters are also much more entertaining and hilarious and a bigger involvement than just giving you quest after quest or selling you items. Not only do old faces return, but some of the newer faces are so hilariously insane that you can’t help fall in love with them. Handsome Jack is also the antagonist that many games should have, with adjectives like “murderous”, “egocentric”, “charismatic”, “hilarious” "memorable" and “evil” being just some of the ones that make him stand out.

Some of the side characters are quite insane.

The Borderlands are also quite different when compared to the way it looked in the original game. Snowy settings are very common, with wastelands, caves, rivers of acid and others making appearances throughout it. This makes the game much more varied (as well as the enemies) and, even though you’ll most likely find yourself backtracking due to a new quest objective popping up or something similar, you never really sense that “been there, done that” feeling unless you’re too troubled by backtracking.

Multiplayer

Borderlands 2 offers a multiplayer component similar to that of LEGO games, since the online has a drop-in/drop-out system that allows you to join any person’s game and leave it just as fast. This lets people connect easily and get to play right off the bat with their friends (which makes the game even more entertaining), which in turn makes the enemies of the Borderlands stronger so you both can’t just breeze through it as easily.

There’s also the much missed split screen feature that most games seem to be ignoring for unknown reasons. This feature works perfectly (even more so on gigantic TV screens) and allows you and a friend to laugh even more when playing.

Some enemies might be a little hard to murder alone, so don't hestitate to ask for help.

Another great thing is that, even if you’re stuck with a beneath-average internet connection, Gearbox’s servers are great and the connection is very stable. Although I suffer from a slow (and bad) internet connection, I had no issues whatsoever joining other sessions (or having friends join mine) and the lag was minimal at best. Props to you, Gearbox!

Technical

The game features the same cell-shaded graphics that the original did, which, coupled up with the game’s unique art-style, make the game stand out on and has a vibe of it’s own. Pandora and it’s characters look very well, and the animations are top-notch, too. Although some of them might be awkward, they’re in generally very fluid, even the lip sync, which rarely has an unnatural look.

Coupled up with the sweet looks is great voice acting that makes the characters stand on their own and a score that, while not incredible, fits the setting and environment, specially when fighting hordes of monsters or bosses. The rest of the audio isn’t anything special but works. After all, you’re not expecting there to be a bajillion different noises for all the weapons available in the game.

Now, anyone who played the original Borderlands most likely remembers there were a few glitches and bugs (mostly related to playing online) that resulted in one not being able to finish quests or in the save data getting corrupted. I’m glad to say that they have been practically eradicated and that I’ve yet to experience any. If anything, the only troubles I’ve ran into consist of enemies getting stuck on the floor or a structure, allowing me to easily kill them.

Trophies

The trophies for this game are rather standard. Complete x amount of story missions (and the story), kill y monster, complete this many objectives, etc. Nothing out of the ordinary and nothing too hard, either. The only bothersome parts consist of finishing every side quest, every level 1 challenge and killing a certain monster that’s rather hard to kill. That aside, the plat is moderately easy, even more if you use this handy guide to help yourself.

Closing Thoughts

Borderlands 2 separates itself from the rest of the shooters out there by implementing the greatest things it’s predecessor had and building up on them. This game is seriously fun (specially with friends) and is a serious contender for the game of the year.

Gameplay: 10/10

Much better than the original, with so many guns and features that’ll make you play and play and play. And play.

Singleplayer: 9.5/10

More interesting and varied than the first one. Handsome Jack and the rest of the cast make the experience even better.

Multiplayer: 10/10

Fluid as hell, and even if it doesn’t bring anything new to the table, it works very well and makes the experience even better.

Technical: 9/10

Outstanding, even if it lacks a little on the audio department.

Overall: 9.5/10 Super Brilliant

Merry Christmas To All

Check Out The Tags For Turkeys Comp
    6X$20PSN Cards Up For Grabs

Last edited by great_daze_tazer; 11-09-2013 at 07:38 AM.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Ice Cream Firefighter

for me my nominations would be

Saints Row The Third
    Assassins Creed Revelations
    Prototype 2
    Borderlands 2
    Assassins Creed III

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lord of all Goat-Men

Assassin's Creed III
    Borderlands 2
    Journey
    Uncharted 3
    Skyrim

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Kick-ass idea GDT

Darksiders 2
    Borderlands 2
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    Dragon's Dogma
    Skyrim

Ice Cream Firefighter

Some awesome games there 11 different games already keep the nominations incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Kick-ass idea GDT
    Thanks I hope it works out well

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

> Restart Button <

Yeah this is another great idea GDT. Is there always a crazy carnival of new ideas going on in that head?

Well, I haven't played many new games so I can't really come up with 5. I'll just through in what I HAVE played that's new.

Assassins Creed 3
    TES: Skyrim

I don't think it's an issue but maybe I need to have played 5 new games to really give an oppinion for a Best Game of The Year Elimination.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Local Drunk

Uncharted 3
    ACIII
    Dishonored
    SSX
    Mass Effect 3
    Last edited by Feral; 11-29-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    Yeah this is another great idea GDT. Is there always a crazy carnival of new ideas going on in that head?

Well, I haven't played many new games so I can't really come up with 5. I'll just through in what I HAVE played that's new.

Assassins Creed 3
    TES: Skyrim

Does it not count if I haven't played 5?
    That is absolutely fine if you haven't played 5 you haven't played 5 so yes they still count. I understand people are not rich & own every game nor deos anyone expect you to. I said 5 just in case there was a lack of members nominating. But I don't think it's going to be a problem.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

> Restart Button <

Okay, cool. It's cheaper and less dissapointing when you stay behind a couple months anyway IMO. So unless I'm ridiculously psyched for something (COUGH *AC3* COUGH), I just wait.

Good to know and interested to see others nominations.

Hats off to you again GDT.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Breakfast and Chill

Jak and Daxter Collection (extreme bias here).

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    Jak and Daxter Collection (extreme bias here).
    I'm counting that as 1 game. Got any more picks to go with it mate?

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Ice Cream Firefighter

All votes so far have been tallied so please refrain from voting again if you have picked 5

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Threat

Skyrim
    Assassin's Creed III
    Resident Evil 6
    Max Payne 3
    Prototype 2
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

PRO Member

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (1/31/12)
    Rayman Origins (11/15/11)
    Medieval Moves (11/15/11)

Those are the only ones I've played that came out this year.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Korean Girl Group Groupie

The Walking Dead
    Journey
    Dishonored
    Final Fantasy XIII-2
    The Unfinished Swan

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 6 - Silver

Do Vita games count? If so then I chose Persona 4 The Golden.
    Okami HD best HD remake as of yet

Thats all I can really think of at the moment. I have played a bunch of games this year but nothing really amazing besides the 2 listed.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by System H View Post
    Do Vita games count? If so then I chose Persona 4 The Golden.
    Okami HD best HD remake as of yet

Thats all I can really think of at the moment. I have played a bunch of games this year but nothing really amazing besides the 2 listed.
    Does not matter the system/OS if the game was released between between the 1st Nov 2011 & 31st October 2012 then it's eligible

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

Borderlands 2
    Walking Dead
    Skyrim
    Assasins Creed Revelations

Great Idea GDT

Ice Cream Firefighter

All nominations are tallied again & would you look at that we almost have ourselves our 1st ever PS3Trophies Deathmatch Keep em coming guys

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

WHAT...IS...THIS!!!?!?!?!?! A videogame deathmatch????

This is (like the cafeteria lady said to me once) gonna get sloppy, you betta grab a napkin

My list will be coming shortly.

Kudos to you GDT...+rep is incoming

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast