Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony Reveals PlayStation 3, Vita Black Friday Sales

This is a discussion on Sony Reveals PlayStation 3, Vita Black Friday Sales within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony has revealed that 525,000 PlayStation 3 units were sold in the United States between November 18th and November 24th. ...

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Sony Reveals PlayStation 3, Vita Black Friday Sales

Sony has revealed that 525,000 PlayStation 3 units were sold in the United States between November 18th and November 24th. “Black Friday bundle sales increased 15%, and total PS3 sales including hardware, software and peripherals, grew 9% over the same period last year,” according to Sony.

PlayStation Vita also enjoyed great sales in the US during the period ranging from November 18th to November 24th. 160,000 units were sold during that time period. Sony notes that Amazon in particular sold out of “specially priced [Vita] inventory” in under five hours.

Playstation Plus also saw significant growth. “Sales of PlayStation Plus subscriptions on PlayStation Network increased 259% compared to last year’s Black Friday period,” Sony states, with “customer satisfaction rates for PS Plus… above 95%.”

Source

Since Black Friday I've noticed the number of vita owners who show up on my Near app has almost doubled so I was curious about how well the ps3 and vita sold

Hero of Kvatch

Good to see that the PS3 is still selling well. To be honest, the only thing I care about the PS3 is how much I enjoy playing it.

Oh, and inb4 Ps360 adds their opinions, I DON'T CARE!

"War, war never changes."

Breakfast and Chill

Well would you look at that.

Kiwi Defender

The PS3's numbers are good (even if the 360's were better), but the Vita's aren't. 160k units in the "let's spend money like crazy!" season isn't much, specially for a just-released console. I wonder how better they could've been had they gave the Vita a price-drop a month or two ago.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The PS3's numbers are good (even if the 360's were better), but the Vita's aren't. 160k units in the "let's spend money like crazy!" season isn't much, specially for a just-released console. I wonder how better they could've been had they gave the Vita a price-drop a month or two ago.
    Well the 360 did have a better deal, and was basically giving away Kinects with the system.

The Vitas for a lot of places sold out - so it might have been a little bit of Sony's fault for not expecting as many to sell as they did, and not having enough available for distributors to sell.

I know here, that the first two things to sell out around these parts were the 360s and Vitas.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO Member

I picked up the Vita (black ops edition) from best buy during black friday online. It was like 199.99, but i used some reward zone coupons and got it for about $129.99 so I made out pretty well. I havent even opened it.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    Well the 360 did have a better deal, and was basically giving away Kinects with the system.
    Also they were giving away Forza 4 And Skyrim in the holiday bundle.

Lvl 4 - Silver

So what is the total sales for the vita now?

Quote Originally Posted by A random guy on youtube
    If you want to marry a Korean woman, you will have to beat their father in StarCraft first \(-.-\)

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by jooakim View Post
    probably around 2-3 million worldwide

aka terrible

The Bushiest Pig

PS3 bundle was a really good deal though, you got like a1 month PS+, the 3 Infamous games plus Uncharted 1 and 2 .... 5 games

I traded in my Forza 4 to Gamesto that i got with ym 360 bundle, got $21
    1st Place - VITA Trophy Guide of the Year, 2012 - Uncharted: Golden Abyss

2nd Place - CB Personality of the Year, 2011

2nd Place - DLC Trophy Guide of the Year, 2011 - Call of Duty: Black Ops Rezurrection

Kiwi Defender

The Vitas for a lot of places sold out - so it might have been a little bit of Sony's fault for not expecting as many to sell as they did, and not having enough available for distributors to sell.

I know here, that the first two things to sell out around these parts were the 360s and Vitas.
    Seems Sony screwed themselves over, then .

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by jooakim View Post
    According the VGChartz (The only website I know of which updates sales weekly for games and consoles). The Vita has sold 3.34 million. However this amount doesn't include black friday week yet. Also the website isn't very accurate (Though this can be both negative and positive). But I guess a poor sourced answer is better than a no sourced answer, though ideally both should be avoided where possible.

But these sales are very nice for both the PS3 and Vita. I think 160,000 for the vita beats its original launch amount for the USA (However I'm not sure). I guess this shows that people clearly have interest in the Vita. And 525,000 sales for PS3 is always a nice boost.

Side notes: 1) I wonder how much the Wii U sold this week (I'm guessing not as much since it would probably have been full price while almost everything else was on sales.) Black friday week isn't exactly a good time to launch a console or product in general.
    2) The Xbox360 sold 750,000 however this is in the USA which is the land of the 360. Also the deals were far better for the 360 than the PS3. In the end I would say PS3 only selling 225,000 less isn't that bad.
    Source

Seems Sony screwed themselves over, then .
    Well it's possible they couldn't create enough in time, considering most of the deals were on the two very new bundles (Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, and Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified just recently came out) that they weren't able to produce enough in time.

It's true that they might have screwed themselves over a bit, but I think that considering the alternative - of not selling them all - they did pretty well for themselves. Things did turn out well enough for Sony, and it does look like the Vita is now making a turn in the right direction (and hopefully the library of games continues to get better).

Angel of Death

Eh... Vita is selling horribly on a normal week to week basis. Still glad I have one though.

PRO Member

Was confused by the title. Looked at the post date, and was like...Black Friday? Ummm...sales should be announced during...not after...haha. Silly me.

Sony needs to really put on the pressure to get developers on the Vita. Too many are sitting back waiting for the one game that's going create the wave and send the thing flying off the shelves, and THEN they'll get their act together only to ride the wave, yet all of them are being too stupid to realize it could be THEIR game that causes the wave. Or maybe they're being realistic and realize their games are too trashy to be that impactful.

People complain that the memory card is a rip off and that's deterring people, yet get a must have title on the thing, and people will pay whatever the fuck they have to to get it, whether the memory card remains a rip off, or Sony goes bat shit crazy and decides to double the price. People want high value content.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Kiwi Defender

Well it's possible they couldn't create enough in time, considering most of the deals were on the two very new bundles (Assassin's Creed III: Liberation, and Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified just recently came out) that they weren't able to produce enough in time.

It's true that they might have screwed themselves over a bit, but I think that considering the alternative - of not selling them all - they did pretty well for themselves. Things did turn out well enough for Sony, and it does look like the Vita is now making a turn in the right direction (and hopefully the library of games continues to get better).
    Maybe they themselves didn't believe the product would garner that much demand .

Well, that's a little exaggerated to say the truth. Yeah, 160k units is great compared to how bad the sales for it have been, but it's still not enough to really claim it's doing well, specially considering they only managed to sell so many unites because of the deals you see during Black Friday. Also, the games don't seem to really be getting better, which is proved by looking at those two high-profile games you just mentioned have been slammed by a lot of people (specially Declassified), and while Persona 4 has been veyr well received, it isn't a console-seller, so the Vita is still in dire need of very popular games that also happen to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomlor0 View Post
    Side notes: 1) I wonder how much the Wii U sold this week (I'm guessing not as much since it would probably have been full price while almost everything else was on sales.) Black friday week isn't exactly a good time to launch a console or product in general.
    I'm sure it still sold a healthy amount of units, but it depends on how many were avilable. Afterall, the thing was pretty much unavailable a day or two after it was launched.

Toggle Spoiler

Maybe they themselves didn't believe the product would garner that much demand .

Well, that's a little exaggerated to say the truth. Yeah, 160k units is great compared to how bad the sales for it have been, but it's still not enough to really claim it's doing well, specially considering they only managed to sell so many unites because of the deals you see during Black Friday. Also, the games don't seem to really be getting better, which is proved by looking at those two high-profile games you just mentioned have been slammed by a lot of people (specially Declassified), and while Persona 4 has been veyr well received, it isn't a console-seller, so the Vita is still in dire need of very popular games that also happen to be good.

In fairness (or not to it's fairness) - just about anything can be tagged with Call of Duty on it and it would sell well. I highly doubt that the vast majority of people who are buying that title care at all about anything other than it being another Call of Duty.

I think we might be getting those two titles in the near future - in a Borderlands from Gearbox, and a Bioshock title from Irrational. It's one of the worst kept secrets in the handheld market that both are having titles worked on for the system, and I whole expect those brands to move a few more units and built it up. It's also just a matter of time until Square Enix (the developer) gets around to putting a Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy on the system, and when that happens that will make a fairly big splash.

A price cut is likely to come after the fiscal year changes in the spring, and with that and the PlayStation Plus growing and adding it's instant game collection library (and the PSPs) - it should push a few more people onto the unit.

The start was bad for the system, but then again so was the 3DS's, and it was able to gather steam - and they weren't giving away anywhere near the quality of games that Sony is with PS+ and the Vita. I don't think it is too bold a statement to say that the system is about to make the turn to being something that Sony can brag about, instead of the mediocre impact that it has made so far.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Comparison article by the same author as the one in the OP.

For quick reference, here are the sales figures for all consoles and handhelds during Black Friday week.

• Xbox 360 - 750,000
    • PlayStation 3 - 525,000
    • Wii U - 400,000
    • Wii - 300,000
    • Nintendo DS - 275,000
    • Nintendo 3DS - 250,000
    • PlayStation Vita - 160,000
    Full article here

-i- love myself.

The PS3 had some awesome sales! And not too bad for the Vita, but it's still falling behind.

Kid, not loser

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Comparison article by the same author as the one in the OP.

Full article here
    Only 250k for the 3DS? That is a lot compared to the Vita, but nothing compared to what it usually has every week. Black friday every system should be able to get its weekly sells np.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast