Recording video guides. What do I need?

This is a discussion on Recording video guides. What do I need? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hey everyone, I've been wanting to record video walkthroughs for trophies for a while now. Just want to know what ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Recording video guides. What do I need?

Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to record video walkthroughs for trophies for a while now. Just want to know what I need to record my TV.

i don't want to use just a crappy video camera pointed at the TV. I have a spare PC lying about.

What else do I need?

Any advice would be awesome!

Currently Playing

Dead Nation | Killzone: Shadow Fall | Sly Cooper: Thief in Time | Strider | The Last of Us Remastered

PS3 & PS4 Trophy Guides and Walkthroughs
    WildeThang YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/wildethanggaming

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by WildeThang View Post
    Hey everyone,I've been wanting to record video walkthroughs for trophies for a while now. Just want to know what I need to record my TV.i don't want to use just a crappy video camera pointed at the TV. I have a spare PC lying about.What else do I need?Any advice would be awesome!
    HDMI cables and a video capture card. Depending on the quality, they can be from $30 - $200+ to buy. It's easy to set up the video cards.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Do you think there is a way to do it with a Mac Book Pro? Just think it'll be easier than upgrading my old PC. Also portability helps.

Currently Playing

Dead Nation | Killzone: Shadow Fall | Sly Cooper: Thief in Time | Strider | The Last of Us Remastered

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Currently Playing

Retired

Works on my HP laptop.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Think I've found the thing I need:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hauppauge-Ga...I1O2ZX2BJOQKPA

Can use HDMI cables and plugs straight into anything with a USB port.

Currently Playing

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by WildeThang View Post
    Do you think there is a way to do it with a Mac Book Pro? Just think it'll be easier than upgrading my old PC. Also portability helps.
    Elgato Game Capture HD

I use it with my iMac and both the capture device and the software are excellent for the dough.

The Elgato is restricted to component cables on PS3 thanks to Sony's implementation of the HDMI protocol (I assume the Hauppauge will be too), however it still records at 720p and 1080p. Given 720p is the HD quality setting on YouTube, there's no quality sacrifice.

It will also capture @ 1080p on a X360 and can also be used for video capture on iPad, iPhone and PSP.

No power cables and it's not much bigger than a deck of cards, so it's portable.

More info - http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/te...apture-hd.html
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 11-30-2012 at 08:04 AM.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Elgato Game Capture HD

I use it with my iMac and both the capture device and the software are excellent for the dough.

The Elgato is restricted to component cables on PS3 thanks to Sony's implementation of the HDMI protocol (I assume the Hauppauge will be too), however it still records at 720p. Given that's the same quality as HD on YouTube, there's no quality sacrifice.

It will capture @ 1080p on a X360 and can also be used for video capture on iPad, iPhone and PSP.

No power cables and it's not much bigger than a deck of cards, so it's portable.

More info - http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/te...apture-hd.html
    I'm getting one for sure I have a SD recorder but I rather play my games in HD first then normally I couldn't be bothered to play it again to record a walkthrough for it.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    I'm getting one for sure I have a SD recorder but I rather play my games in HD first then normally I couldn't be bothered to play it again to record a walkthrough for it.
    The video buffering feature of the Elgato is superb. You can play your game as per normal, then rewind the stream and hit record to capture / edit the bits you want to keep. It's a bit like Foxtel iQ.

Since most games run @ 720p, I haven't noticed a significant loss of quality when playing games using component cables instead of HDMI and could quite comfortably use them all the time. I have both HDMI and Component cables plugged into the PS3 and swap between the two when I get the urge to capture some video.

[update] I edited the above post - Elgato now captures @ 1080p on PS3. I'll test it over the weekend to confirm.

I also neglected to mention it can be used for PC and TV capture, in addition to consoles, tabs and smartphones that support Component or HDMI.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    The video buffering feature of the Elgato is superb. You can play your game as per normal, then rewind the stream and hit record to capture / edit the bits you want to keep. It's a bit like Foxtel iQ.

Since most games run @ 720p, I haven't noticed a significant loss of quality when playing games using component cables instead of HDMI and could quite comfortably use them all the time. I have both HDMI and Component cables plugged into the PS3 and swap between the two when I get the urge to capture some video.

[update] I edited the above post - Elgato now captures @ 1080p on PS3 and Xbox 360.

I also neglected to mention it can be used for PC and TV capture, in addition to consoles, tabs and smartphones that support Component or HDMI.
    You might actually be the person to ask about this mate as my computer know how is shit. I have a HDMI slot on the back of my PC would there be a way to do a direct hook-up? I think I tried once but failed, I ended up using it for a while to hook my pc sounds to my surround sound.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    You might actually be the person to ask about this mate as my computer know how is shit. I have a HDMI slot on the back of my PC would there be a way to do a direct hook-up? I think I tried once but failed, I ended up using it for a while to hook my pc sounds to my surround sound.
    I'm not sure what you mean by direct hook-up - from what output to what input?

Anything with a HDMI port can be captured by an Elgato. The port on your PC will be an output from your video card to a computer monitor, HDTV etc. So as far as capturing from PC to Elgato goes, yep, it should do the job. Not that it should be necessary...there's plenty of PC software that does it.

The Elgato box has HDMI pass-through, so you can still watch your games on a HDTV at 1080p while the video is streamed via USB to PC or Mac. Plug the HDMI cable from your console to the Elgato, plug the Elgato into a USB port, fire up the software, get into your game and record away.

As far as audio goes, I output my PC and PS3 audio via optical cable to my Astro Gaming MixAmp or my Logitech 5.1 speakers. I don't have HDMI out on my PC, so I use DVI to HDMI to connect to my HDTV when I feel like it. There's no audio in that signal however, so audio still pipes out via optical.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I use this: Newegg.com - AVerMedia Game Capture HD – Record Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii in real time without a PC! MTVGCAPHD The AverMedia capture device. It's another pass-through device.

You just hook up an external hard drive or flash drive to it and hit record. Real easy.

I looked at the el Gato, but I didn't see as many reviews for it on newegg and the like, so I wasn't sure how good it was. Seems that it is well liked, though.
    Got a YouTube channel? Join our group: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/group.php?groupid=109

Making random gameplay videos at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRevRickyD

Message me if you make videos on YouTube or can record a commentary track and want to collaborate on some gameplay/multiplayer together. I'd like to get a group of people together from PS3T's to start making videos.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Elgato is really good. I have the Avermedia Gamebroadcast HD only because I didnt want an extra box on my desk so I went with a video card for the pc. but the Elgato is als up there.