Star Wars Battlefront III was 99% done.

This is a discussion on Star Wars Battlefront III was 99% done. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; We were THIS close to getting a third Battlefront game. Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis said the game would have ...

PRO Member

Star Wars Battlefront III was 99% done.

We were THIS close to getting a third Battlefront game. Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis said the game would have been a turning point for the company after falling into development trouble with Haze.

"We were making a game with very high ambition," Ellis said in an interview with gamesTM magazine. "You could start a battle on the ground, jump into a ship and fly into space, continuing on to dock in a capital ship and continue the battle there."

An early version of the game leaked this past April. An hour of additional footage leaked the following July.

"We'd had to build all kinds of new tech and overcome numerous technical challenges and limitations but we had done it. We had a 99% finished game that just needed bug fixing for release," he added.

"It should have been our most successful game, but it was cancelled for financial reasons. I'm happy that people did at least get to see what we were working on and share the team's enthusiasm for it"
    Battlefront III Was 99 Percent Finished - News - www.GameInformer.com

Do you believe this??? I find it very hard to believe that a game could be 99% completed and then just scrapped.

Sig by Bladia

-i- love myself.

Spend all that money to make a game and then cancel it right when it's about to be finished. It just needed 1% more which was to release it.

Threat

Well that pisses me off..
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Angel of Death

So Haze screwed over this and Timesplitters... That game is cursed.

Kiwi Defender

More old news that just remind us how sad we are without Battlefront 3.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Gaming since PONG !

#hashtag

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Probably one of the best Star Wars game, had a blast on II back on the PS2 and I always wanted a III. Now you're telling me that when they got to 99% they cancelled it? Due to financial problems that occurred after the release of Haze, no wonder that game was total garbage, this is a total disappointment.
    Awesome Sig By Apokolypz

Change is mediocre

So we got Haze instead of Battlefront 3.

If they knew Battlefront 3 was gonna be a success, they should've waited to release Haze and release Battlefront 3 first, then use that money to waste on Haze. At least then they wouldn't be completely destroyed.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Ah it's just another game developer being jaded cause one of their games didn't do well. So they want some satisfaction in rubbing our noses in a game lots of fans have been waiting for over 7 years for. If it was truly 99% done they would have finished it and released it in hopes that they would get some money in return for the long development cycle. They may have been working on it but they were probably 75% or under and lost the rights to the game when George Lucas sold the rights to Disney.

дурак

*playing Star Wars Battlefront II on Steam*

Hmm... wait what? Oh, I'm sorry, I got this game to keep me happy. Battlefront III would be nice, but I could play Battlefront II for the rest of my life.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Lvl 9 - Gold

Just another reminder of how publishers love to screw us over with nearly-finished games...
    Bayonetta 2 (not anymore thankfully), Battlefront 3, Megaman Legends 3 (this one hurt me the most)...

But this is a bit of old news anyway, so it's not as shocking.
    By the way, the gameplay footage is down though, but I watched it backin July and it was quite awesome.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Because a former employee was bound to say something:
    Former LucasArts employee on why Star Wars: Battlefront III failed - GameSpot.com

Lvl 4 - Silver

Star Wars: Battlefront III Release Wasn't Sabotaged Says LucasArts
    Written Monday, December 03, 2012 By Richard Walker
    View author's profile
    One of the most troubled projects in recent years, much has been rumoured and speculated about Star Wars: Battlefront III, including a claim from Free Radical co-founder Steve Ellis that the game was 99% complete when LucasArts reportedly decided to can the game."This 99 percent complete stuff is just bullshit," an anonymous former LucasArts employee toldGameSpot. "A generous estimate would be 75 percent of a mediocre game."Ellis' fellow co-founder David Doak and Audio Director Graham Norgate also claimed that LucasArts sabotaged the game, which the source also took issue with. "There are two sides to every story," the source said. "I was at LucasArts during this time, working on Battlefront III, and remember it well. Everybody from producers to marketing was 100 percent invested in making the relationship work."We were desperate for a next-gen followup to Battlefront (the claim that the project was sabotaged for financial reasons is ludicrous. The [Battlefront] franchise was a huge money maker at the time). When Free Radical continually missed dates and deliveries, [former LucasArts presidents Jim Ward and Darrell Rodriguez] made many 'good will' whole or partial milestone payments to keep the project going."Apparently, Haze's year-long delay - which also reportedly put the brakes on another TimeSplitters - took resources away from the first half of Battlefront III's development, which according to the source was frequently plagued by missed deadlines and builds of the game that just didn't function."In December 2007, Free Radical still did not have simple AI working in levels," he said. "For much of 2007, Xbox 360 builds simply did not work. Initially, Free Radical claimed it was a US/UK kit difference, but when we asked to FedEx one of their working machines to the US for a build review, they declined."Haze becoming a PS3 exclusive also affirmed LucasArts' fears that the developer's engine wasn't compatible with Xbox 360, while the source also notes that in 2007, Free Radical was allegedly spending more time developing Haze instead of Battlefront III. Free Radical subsequently attempted to pursue TimeSplitters 4, to no avail.With deadlines apparently missed in 2008, Free Radical and LucasArts settled on an April 2009 release window for Star Wars: Battlefront III. But the final nail in the coffin came with the critical and commercial failure of Haze, even after the extra development time had been earmarked to make the game an 85+ "gem". The poor quality of Haze alarmed LucasArts, and with the studio missing its August, September and October deadlines, it was decided that Star Wars: Battlefront III should be cancelled."The failure of Battlefront III was tragic for everyone involved, not least the fans," the source said. "There's a lot of blame to go around and many different perspectives. I won't though let Steve Ellis whitewash the part that he and Free Radical played. I'd suggest that everyone keep this as something tragic to muse over with a beer rather than throwing stones in public."At time of writing, Free Radical has yet to respond to the former LucasArts' employee's remarks.
    Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games
    Are awesome

Lvl 1 - Bronze

And we have a responce,with a very good question AND mention of Battlefront IV.
    Free Radical cofounder responds to Battlefront III claims - GameSpot.com