Are really hard games fun?

This is a discussion on Are really hard games fun? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've been playing a lot of Dyad lately and it is... extremely tough. If I get this plat., this would ...

NSFW

Are really hard games fun?

I've been playing a lot of Dyad lately and it is... extremely tough. If I get this plat., this would be one of the greatest achievements I can put on my trophy experience. I get frustrated easily though, but I still find the game oddly addicting, even though it's the equivalent of shoving my face in the dirt, and driving me over with a combine harvester. So my question is, do you guys find entertainment in really hard games like Ninja Gaiden, Demon/Dark Souls or WipEout HD? Do you like having a challenge even if you have to restart/retry a lot? I'm just curious.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

> Restart Button <

I like a certain amount of challenge for me. I liked how difficult Dark Souls was and you can (like most RPGs) overcome the scaling which is rewarding. Too bad the game felt old and creaky for me. I really liked the combat.

I played the Dyad demo and basically said "wtf...." Very difficult.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Threat

If a game is hard just being it's difficult overall, then yes, I can have fun. But if a game/difficulty is only hard because you get fucked over by bullshit stuff a lot then no.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Legalize it...

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    If a game is hard just being it's difficult overall, then yes, I can have fun. But if a game/difficulty is only hard because you get fucked over by bullshit stuff a lot then no.
    Exactly how I feel...

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    I played the Dyad demo and basically said "wtf...." Very difficult.
    Trust me... Those are the easy parts. I'm a bit over half way through and each level can take hours before getting completed.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

PRO Member

I like there to be some challenge. Usually I will start a game on the hardest setting unless 1) I know the hardest setting will make me rage quit constantly, or 2) I am playing with the wife
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

> Restart Button <

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    Trust me... Those are the easy parts. I'm a bit over half way through and each level can take hours before getting completed.
    Wait like Tony Hawk style where your on one level and you end up restarting like 50 times??

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Retired Staff Member

I personally hate difficult games. I play for the story and/or the be immersed in the environment. Dying, and having to do that same thing over and over against takes away from that.

NSFW

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    Wait like Tony Hawk style where your on one level and you end up restarting like 50 times??
    50? I wish...

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Banned

They are more fun than soft games anyway, more heated heart pounding moments, a better experience which encourages replay value, the environment feels more alive and interactive, but the length usually isn't all that long, it really just depends on your willpower, if you take your time to explore every nook and cranny it should last a lot longer and be more memorable lolol

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    Took the words right out of my mouth At 1st, I couldn't stand NGS2's Master Ninja difficulty, now it's a joke to me (yes, the A.I's cheap as hell), but I still have fun in the process

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

The part where the op says you keep trying and restarting is usually the part that keeps me going and determined to get what I need. When you get to that particular stage in a game, yeah the fun may have gone but that kind of thing shows what kind of character you are I think, wether you stick at it or not. One of my hardest plats was MVC3 and I cannot tell you how many times I got super mad, but not at the AI, but the online aspect of it and I'm crap at fighting games, believe me! Yet I kept on trying and playing because I wanted the plat and I was actually having fun even though it may not have seemed like I was.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Angel of Death

It all depends on if I go into a game expecting it to be difficult. When I play NGS2, I know to expect to die a lot, so I don't rage as much, but in God of War III, there was a part that I was not expecting it to be difficult, and I raged for 2-3 days.

PRO Member

It depends on how they make it hard. If they just have infinite spawning enemies or something dumb like that to make the game harder and therefore extend the game's length than no. If you are playing an RPG and maybe there is a boss that you must level up a few more times and buy some better equipment to beat than yes.

Sig by Bladia

-i- love myself.

I don't mind a challenge, I find them quite fun sometimes. Just can't stand games as hard as Dark Souls .

Deathless Destroyer

It depends on what you define 'Hard' as. If you define it as less health and more health for enemies then yes. If it's grind 10000 kills for one trophy then no.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Buy my book, Alteration

I like challenges when it comes to games where you can isolate mistakes and improve strategies, which can end up evolving how you play.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Is fun and rewarding for me ... you remember the moment too after all that hardwork ~

I like hard game as long it doesnt involved sports, music rhythm, or fighting game
    bcoz i usually take these game for fun ..

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I don't it being hard provided there are reasonable checkpoints and reasonable load times. As an example Spec Ops the Line on FUBAR difficultly is a pain in the ass. The CPs are okay. However, there is only one way to pass each battle, you can die in seconds and the load time is like 20 seconds. Painful.

PRO Member

I like challenging games and I will always go for the toughest thing to do in the game 1st, but I also like easy games after I've completed a hard game I enjoy both types of games but the main thing I'm interested in is the story and gameplay etc. ...reloading can be very annoying if the game takes long lol why can't all games be like Sound Shapes, you don't have to wait if you retry

I did Dyad in about 8 hours I'm 2nd fastest achiever although I think I should be 1st? The 1st guy got it in a few hours but I'm not 100% if that was legit or not.

Sig by Smashguy