Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on GameFly

This is a discussion on Thoughts on GameFly within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I am thinking of trying it out. Right now I just trade in games I don't use so I can ...

PRO Member

Thoughts on GameFly

I am thinking of trying it out. Right now I just trade in games I don't use so I can get others or I borrow from friends. Just wondering if anyone has used or currently uses GameFly and what you think of it. Also, if there is a different company to try, let me know. Thanks.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

> Restart Button <

I haven't used it but it sounds pretty great. You grab a game, no time limit, and return when & if you want. That's how I percieve it but then again, someone who has used it will have more details on how it ACTUALLY works.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Angel of Death

I have it. It's convenient for short games, bad games, or quick Plat's.

> Restart Button <

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    I have it. It's convenient for short games, bad games, or quick Plat's.
    Is there a limit to how long you can keep the game?

Chuck Norris Approved.

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    Is there a limit to how long you can keep the game?
    There is no time limit. As stated above Gamefly is great for single player games with no replay value and games you want to try but not sink 60 bucks into the chance to see if you really will like it. Also you can buy a game from Gamefly when you have it at the house already and they will you mail you the codes, book and case for a discount. They will also have regular deals on used games and so on to purchase from the website. You also get access to the service they game to play games for free over the pc with the service. https://www.gamefly.com/registration/default/

I bought MW2 maybe a month after release for $30 from them. The only downside's are the online code's and for a new release you need to have a empty slot for the game to ship or you will wait a few weeks for other ppl to start returning the game before you will have it mailed. I always use the 3 game plan so I can make sure I have a empty spot for a game I really want on release also they ship the day before release ie if the game comes out on a Tuesday it will ship Monday. The time frame really hinges on how far you are from one of their shipping hubs on avg I would get the game on a wed from them when I lived in Tennessee haven't tried it yet in Maryland about to restart my acct shortly. Hope this helps.

Avy, Chambers35 Sig, dsluckay

> Restart Button <

That sounds pretty cool actually. I may think about switching how I get my games. Thanks for that detailed explanation and I hope Jaggy got what he wanted.

Chuck Norris Approved.

That sounds pretty cool actually. I may think about switching how I get my games. Thanks for that detailed explanation and I hope Jaggy got what he wanted.
    No problem, imo it is a great service and well worth the price for what you get in return.

> Restart Button <

Quote Originally Posted by Wargazsem View Post
    No problem, imo it is a great service and well worth the price for what you get in return.
    I forget how much the ad says it is. $10 bucks a month IIRC? It sounds great and my wife has asked me if I wanted to use it but I was just used to going to Gamestop for trades. I would definetly enjoy this because once I plat a game, I ask myself "Do I want this game for keeps? Will I enjoy playing this again?". It doesn't happen very often but I don't want to shell out $60 or even $40 for a game I won't keep but I don't know if I'll keep it until I play it.

Thanks again.

Chuck Norris Approved.

I forget how much the ad says it is. $10 bucks a month IIRC? It sounds great and my wife has asked me if I wanted to use it but I was just used to going to Gamestop for trades. I would definetly enjoy this because once I plat a game, I ask myself "Do I want this game for keeps? Will I enjoy playing this again?". It doesn't happen very often but I don't want to shell out $60 or even $40 for a game I won't keep but I don't know if I'll keep it until I play it.

Thanks again.
    1 game is $7.95 to start then 15.95 after the trial. 2 game's out is like $22.95 a month 3 is around $28 if I remember right. Even at $28 a month that is less then $360 a year so the price of 5 new games with tax. So by renting 3 games in 2 months the service has paid for it's self.

Prayer Warrior

Wargazsem hit the nail on the head. there's really no better way to describe the benefits better than he did so i will address you other question about there being other company's for this service. their are a few other companies but their service sucks so bad. you don't get new releases as quickly and the shipping is horrible. gamefly IS the best service for online game rentals. stick with it.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

> Restart Button <

1 game is $7.95 to start then 15.95 after the trial. 2 game's out is like $22.95 a month 3 is around $28 if I remember right. Even at $28 a month that is less then $360 a year so the price of 5 new games with tax. So by renting 3 games in 2 months the service has paid for it's self.
    This reminds me of something Blockbuster did when I was a kid. Through summer (June, July, August) it was $20 for a month and you got unlimted rentals. Up to like 3 games and you had till the end of the month to return where you could just renew the summer deal and take it back.

LIke that this deal is even better and too good to be true. Thanks thanks and thanks again.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

This reminds me of something Blockbuster did when I was a kid. Through summer (June, July, August) it was $20 for a month and you got unlimted rentals. Up to like 3 games and you had till the end of the month to return where you could just renew the summer deal and take it back.

LIke that this deal is even better and too good to be true. Thanks thanks and thanks again.
    Hell yes, Blockbuster summer pass was awesome.

PRO Member

Exactly. I used to have it...at one point the 3 game rental and had a decent cycle going. Then funds ran short, and I had to cancel the service

I think it's great and I highly recommend it as well. Opened my eyes to some games I didn't want to buy, but gave them a shot and ended up loving and buying them anyways (Resonance of Fate )

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Kid, not loser

I liked the service when I had it. The only downsides for me was that I too far away from any of the shipping centers,and I rarely got a game that came out brand-new even if it was the only one in my Q. It took about on average 7 days for a game to get to me after they received my first game. All in all I only got about 3 sometimes but rarely 4 games a month depending on how much time it took me to beat a game. I would suggest doing the Blockbuster service or any other local renting service first, that way you can go get the games you want when you want. Then try Gamefly if it doesn't work how you want.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

PRO Member

Exactly the type of reviews I was looking for. I do believe I may be getting Gamefly after my move.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

I would HIGHLY recommend gamefly to anyone. if you take a 3 game deal and keep those same three games for 4 months you are still ahead of the game but realistically I am sure that won't happen. There are a few upsides and a few downsides but most of the downsides are fair enough like not getting a brand new game on release because your game came in the day before release. The long shipping times can be addressed through gamefly. At one point it was taking a week to ship the games back and only 3 days to receive them and I was getting mad and called them up. The post office is supposed to run them through a machine to let gamefly know the game is on its way and they will ship you another game right away and the post offices weren't doing that but gamefly straightened them out and I was receiving games 4-5 days after sending one out and that isn't a bad deal when it takes 3 days to ship to me.

Honestly people like redbox and blockbuster are charging too much for this stuff and I would highly recommend gamefly to anyone. I haven't met one person that used gamefly that stopped using for any reason but their funds got a little dry and they needed to catch back up.

Legalize it...

This makes Gamefly sound that much better to me. Ive been on the fence about it for a while now. After I finish the 20ish games I have that are just sitting here I really might go ahead with it. Thanks for the info...

DON'T BLINK

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Honestly people like redbox and blockbuster are charging too much for this stuff and I would highly recommend gamefly to anyone. I haven't met one person that used gamefly that stopped using for any reason but their funds got a little dry and they needed to catch back up.

Can't speak for Redbox's part, but Blockbuster is $14.99/month for 2 discs out. $20 a month for 3 disc

https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/m/plan

I don't know how good their selection is though. Just saying that Gamefly is not cheaper than Blockbuster.

I used to have gamefly. And when I used them, they were awesome. But then for a time, money was a problem (i.e no job) and I had to cancel them.

Then I tried to come back.... and that is when the shit started.

The problem with gamefly is they don't accept my credit card. Kinda. It's one of those Visa cards my paycheck is deposited on and so they count it as a "gift card or re-loadable card" and therefore can not accept it. They will however accept it if I was to buy used games from them. So, until they will accept it all around, they aren't getting one penny from me. And I tell them as such every time I get one of those "come back to us for only $1" emails.

I've stopped into my local Blockbuster and they have assured me that they can use my card. The employee there even informed me that is how he is paid and uses his pay card with the Blockbuster service. Maybe he was blowing smoke up my ass just to make the account, I don't know. I'd like to think that since he was trying to get me to use that specific card, it would have been okay.

I haven't signed up to any service at the moment only because my wife is pregnant with our first child and right now all money is being focused on that, though I am sure eventually I will be signing back up with a service... be it Blockbuster, Gamefly (maybe they will eventually play nice with my card) or other.

Platinum Dohvakiin

If you can get gamefly where you live, get it. I've had it for a few years now, and have had little problems with it. There are a few tricks in getting new releases, like leaving a slot open, or I would just delete my entire queue and leaving nothing in it but games that have to come out. Which all but guarantees you getting the game. Mostly what I use it for are one and done single player games, that once you beat, you'll probably never touch again. And games that are just not worth buying. I would have to say a good 40+ games in my list came from gamefly. I'm also fortunate enough to live close to one of there Distribution Centers, so my games only take a day to get here and 2 days max to be 'returned'.

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    I don't know how good their selection is though. Just saying that Gamefly is not cheaper than Blockbuster.
    The only downside to Blockbuster is, it takes 3 months for new releases to be able to rented online. But you can always go in the store and rent them, but you have to pay more to rent it from the store, where as if you rent movies from the store with you online account it's free, go figure. I have Blockbuster too, I very rarely use it for games though, mostly movies, because I can just drop them off at the store, because there's a Blockbuster across the street from where I work.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

-i- love myself.

Wow, all this talking about GameFly is really wanting me to try this out. It does seem pretty cool getting games without having to leave your house to buy them lol. And I Would be able to get games that don't interest me as much, without having to buy them. I'm going to definitely check this out, probably even try the free trial.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast