Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The Last of Us' Multiplayer is Not "Tacked On" Naughty Dog Assures

This is a discussion on The Last of Us' Multiplayer is Not "Tacked On" Naughty Dog Assures within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; From ps3 trophies .org Following the unveiling of pre-order bonuses for The Last of Us teasing multiplayer, Naughty Dog has ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

The Last of Us' Multiplayer is Not "Tacked On" Naughty Dog Assures

From ps3 trophies .org
    Following the unveiling of pre-order bonuses for The Last of Us teasing multiplayer, Naughty Dog has been busy allaying fans' fears regarding the addition of online modes for the studio's latest action adventure.Responding to the PlayStation community's concerns regarding multiplayer in The Last of Us, Naughty Dog's Community Strategist, Arne Meyer responded to comments on the US PlayStation Blog.“We don’t approach MP in any of our games as tacked on. And we also always have separate teams working on the different components so that we can maintain full focus on making SP and MP up to our standards," Meyer stated. “We have faith that our MP will stand on it’s own. If we felt like it would be tacked on, we wouldn't have added it. We want all our game experiences to be of the highest quality and that’s what we work extremely hard to deliver.“MP has never taken away resources from the SP game in any of our games, always separate teams, separate resources. The folks working on the single player campaign always have the resources and support to complete that portion of the game to the vision they planned for.”Meyer concluded to the concerns, commenting, “The SP portion of the game hasn’t been skimped out on in any way.”Naughty Dog has previously brought multiplayer to Uncharted 2 and 3, so multiplayer in The Last of Us could follow a similar template. The Last of Us is out on May 7th, 2013. Missed the VGA 2012 trailer? You can watch it below.[Via MP1ST]
    Last edited by Randy66; 12-11-2012 at 11:36 AM.
    Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games
    Are awesome

Prayer Warrior

i honestly don't see a place for MP in a game like this. it's going to feel tacked on no matter what they do. i just hope it doesn't take away from the SP cause this could be goty next year.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

PRO Member

I do have faith in a MP in a game like this, I think it has potential to be good and a different experience from the SP

PRO Member

I agree, doesnt need multiplayer, although, in naughty dog we trust............

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by tottenhamshelf View Post
    I agree, doesnt need multiplayer, although, in naughty dog we trust............
    agreed. if anyone can do MP right it's ND. but i still really feel uneasy about it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I'll believe this when I see it.

Lvl 4 - Silver

How was the multiplayer in uncharted? Did it feel tacked on?
    Are awesome

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Randy66 View Post
    Honestly yes, it did.
    Although if you're a mindless naughty dog fanboy then you will convince yourself it's an epic masterpiece.
    I thought it was boring and pointless, third person bullet orgy's within a small map isn't my idea of fun, even if the physics and graphics are top notch.
    Last edited by Trains; 12-11-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Grammar mistake lololol

Prayer Warrior

in UC 2 i feel it was tacked on. i haven't played it in UC3 yet so i can't be the judge of that one. but MP would make more sense in a game like UC than in a game like TLOU. just my opinion of course.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    in UC 2 i feel it was tacked on. i haven't played it in UC3 yet so i can't be the judge of that one. but MP would make more sense in a game like UC than in a game like TLOU. just my opinion of course.
    who cares if it feels tacked on or even if the multiplayer sucks,as long as the single player is good.You dont have to play the multiplayer,why would anybody bitch about added content that could extensively add to the amount of playtime to a game.Not saying that you are bitching.

Break from gaming

No, but it is shit, and needed given how short sp is

Big thanks to Bladia for awesome sig
    "Unfortunately the Nazi's don't play cricket - if they did, we wouldn't be on opposite sides now."

Kid, not loser

Idk what y'all are talking about UC2's mp feeling tacked on, it was GREAT when it came out and is probably one of the best mp's in a TPS to date.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    who cares if it feels tacked on or even if the multiplayer sucks,as long as the single player is good.You dont have to play the multiplayer,why would anybody bitch about added content that could extensively add to the amount of playtime to a game.Not saying that you are bitching.
    as long as the SP is solid and it's not a shortened mess then i don't care if TLOU has MP or not. i'm not in it for the MP. i only care about the SP. it just worries me cause the time spent on developing MP could have been spent making the SP experience even better/longer. but i'm not bitching bro....just making an observation lol

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    as long as the SP is solid and it's not a shortened mess then i don't care if TLOU has MP or not. i'm not in it for the MP. i only care about the SP. it just worries me cause the time spent on developing MP could have been spent making the SP experience even better/longer. but i'm not bitching bro....just making an observation lol
    Exactly what I was about to say. As long as they make the single player great, then I don't mind MP.

| YouTube Channel | GDT Comp Banner by djunglist |

Lvl 4 - Silver

I feel like rockstar should make the multiplayer for the last of us. They do a good job making multiplayer that would regular be a single player only game. Of course rockstar isn't own by Sony so they can't make it. Naughty Dog isn't that good at making multiplayer for their games.
    Are awesome

Korean Girl Group Groupie

As I pointed out in one of the other threads on this subject - no single player franchise that has introduced a competitive multiplayer element later, has ever benefited from the element - whether it be in terms of overall quality, polish, expanded lore, sales or reception. I challenge anybody out there to show me facts otherwise.

If The Last of Us comes out with anything wrong with it what so ever, we all know what the scapegoat is going to be for it. Resources are being wasted, in my opinion, in including a mode that is only there to sell online passes, and allow for cheap DLC to a niche market. Those people that Naughty Dog are devoting to multiplayer would be better off spent on making the single player the best looking, most well written, most immersive experience possible. Instead of hiring people to make a multiplayer experience - hire those people to create some DLC add-on scenarios that further shape the world, do more to expand upon the epidemic - or something Ubisoft should have done - hire as many play testers as possible so that the game launches without any hiccups or unwanted nuances.

This game needed multiplayer like male's need a third testicle.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Labels

Multiplayer could work as long as it's something completely original.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig

"I went from the slums of hell to paradise in heaven, from a sling shot to a wall of Mac 11's"

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    You dont have to play the multiplayer.
    Undoubtedly you will if you want the platinum!

INTJ

if they can pull a portal 2, go for it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    As I pointed out in one of the other threads on this subject - no single player franchise that has introduced a competitive multiplayer element later, has ever benefited from the element - whether it be in terms of overall quality, polish, expanded lore, sales or reception. I challenge anybody out there to show me facts otherwise. If The Last of Us comes out with anything wrong with it what so ever, we all know what the scapegoat is going to be for it. Resources are being wasted, in my opinion, in including a mode that is only there to sell online passes, and allow for cheap DLC to a niche market. Those people that Naughty Dog are devoting to multiplayer would be better off spent on making the single player the best looking, most well written, most immersive experience possible. Instead of hiring people to make a multiplayer experience - hire those people to create some DLC add-on scenarios that further shape the world, do more to expand upon the epidemic - or something Ubisoft should have done - hire as many play testers as possible so that the game launches without any hiccups or unwanted nuances. This game needed multiplayer like male's need a third testicle.
    You can't prove that adding multiplayer has hurt sales either,Call of duty is proof that multiplayer is a money maker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast