Please help! Possible hardware failure!

This is a discussion on Please help! Possible hardware failure! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Okay so I've had my ps3 slim for about 2 years I think, and I've never had a single problem. ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Please help! Possible hardware failure!

Okay so I've had my ps3 slim for about 2 years I think, and I've never had a single problem. Recently I've played Far Cry 3. Alot. And I noticed some minor lag in the game so I turned off the console and let it rest for a while and then turned it on and the lag was gone, I've had to do this a couple of times when I've noticed lag.

HOWEVER, yesterday when I turned on the console first time of the day, I heard the eject sound upon start-up but no disc came out, so I was like WTF. I checked the game section and no disc was recognized (no disc game symbol in the game section in the XMB.) So I pressed eject and the disc came out as usually and then I put it back in, it started reading the disc but I didn't recognize the read sound, it wasn't as usual, and I also heard some wierd "clicks" coming out of the disc tray. The game popped up however and I didn't think more of it.

Today when I started the console, same sh*t happends, except it can't recognize a disc even if I take it out and put it back in. I hear it starting to read and then it stops. Nothing more. PLEASE help, I love my ps3 more than I love my gf so I'm kind of desperate here. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

> Restart Button <

You need to give your GF some more loving

The only thing I can think of is when I had like 10 PS2s and all of their lasers went out and I would hear the disc tray trying SO hard to read my games. You may need to have it checked out becuase it definetly sounds like your PS3 isn't reading your disc.

Try a few different games and see how those work. It could be just your Farcry disc.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

A friend of mine had this happen to him. It will still read a disc on a rare occasion every so often for a short period of time but its just a tease. Try watching a blu ray, dvd or another game. If no results your screwed and basically will have to just buy digital versions of games or get a new ps3. You could always do somee surgery on it but I dont know how handy you are or if you even want to do that. Sorry bro

Death to zombies!!

I had this problem once where some days it wont read a disc and others it will and i get the noise like its trying to read it but then nothing loads and makes a ejecting noise, what i did was take the PS3 apart and clean the lens. It only takes 10 minutes and works like a charm now the disc reads everytime.

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by themute88orl View Post
    You need to give your GF some more loving

The only thing I can think of is when I had like 10 PS2s and all of their lasers went out and I would hear the disc tray trying SO hard to read my games. You may need to have it checked out becuase it definetly sounds like your PS3 isn't reading your disc.

Try a few different games and see how those work. It could be just your Farcry disc.
    Just kidding man

Anyways, I just put in Black Ops 2, NO PROBLEMS. After that, put in FC3, it does read it now but I still head that clicking sound..

Prayer Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by PainCakesX View Post
    Just kidding man

Anyways, I just put in Black Ops 2, NO PROBLEMS. After that, put in FC3, it does read it now but I still head that clicking sound..
    if you put in another game and you had no problems then it's probably FC3 disc

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 8 - Gold

Check your FC3 disc, maybe it cracked. If it persists with other games it could be your BluRay drive.

illegal in 9 countries

If it turns out to be the BluRay laser, they're very easy to buy and replace. Cracking open a Slim is an easy job, particularly to replace the BluRay components.

That said, it sounds like the disc if no other games display the same problem. See if you can return / replace it at where you bought it.