Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's so great about the walking dead/should i get it

This is a discussion on What's so great about the walking dead/should i get it within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Everyone's saying good things about walking dead and it won Goty from VGA 2012 and Ign will also probably give ...

Lvl 7 - Gold

What's so great about the walking dead/should i get it

Everyone's saying good things about walking dead and it won Goty from VGA 2012 and Ign will also probably give it goty. Is it really that good and also do u need to read the comics or watch the tv series to understand the storyline?

PRO Member

Put aside the fact that it did get GOTY, and is part of an amazing franchise...the story is very engaging, your choices have after effects...and it the zombie apocalypse...I highly recomend it..
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

To Be Announced

You don't need to read the comics or watch the show to understand the storyline at all. It might put some things into more context by being a little more rewarding (i.e. characters from the comics/show having roles in the story early on) but overall, it really is its own beast. It's a story-powered game, where your choices actually have an impact, and leaves you thinking about what you've done (or, in some cases, didn't do) long after each episode is over. If you're looking for a pure action-driven game, look elsewhere; but if you're into something that totally embraces the concept of character growth and interaction with some awesome setpiece-type moments graciously sprinkled in between, get it. It's worth it for sure.
    Latest
    Borderlands 2

Currently Playing
    PAYDAY 2

Trophy Checklist

First Trophy Guide

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eckes13 View Post
    Put aside the fact that it did get GOTY, and is part of an amazing franchise...the story is very engaging, your choices have after effects...and it the zombie apocalypse...I highly recomend it..
    So you dont have to watch the series or read the comics to understand it right?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffx37 View Post
    You don't need to read the comics or watch the show to understand the storyline at all. It might put some things into more context by being a little more rewarding (i.e. characters from the comics/show having roles in the story early on) but overall, it really is its own beast. It's a story-powered game, where your choices actually have an impact, and leaves you thinking about what you've done (or, in some cases, didn't do) long after each episode is over. If you're looking for a pure action-driven game, look elsewhere; but if you're into something that totally embraces the concept of character growth and interaction with some awesome setpiece-type moments graciously sprinkled in between, get it. It's worth it for sure.
    Okay thanks think i will get it then once i am done with my other games

PRO Member

I wouldn't say you would have to have read the comics or have watched the television episodes to enjoy the game. The game itself is very enjoyable. Its not some hack n' slash game or FPS or tactics, its a story and your choices effect everything.

This game is one that all you have to do is sit back, play and enjoy and through regular progress you will achieve the trophies, eventually culminating in all trophies, as you complete the game.

I would highly recommend this game to anyone and as a side, you should definately pick up the TPB issues of the Walking Dead comics. The single issues are difficult to find. No matter what, the original story is far better than the tv series or the game.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

PRO Member

If you enjoyed heavy rain, that was steeped in story and had you at the edge of your seat then u will love TWD...and if your gonna put this in a timeline, it has nothing to do with the show...and dev, state, well atleast episode one, takes place while Rick is in the coma.
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

PRO Member

You can play the game without having seen the show or read the comics, you will still enjoy it. You really need to play it, it's amazing. And I'm sure after you finish the game you'll start with the show and comics!

The Incredible Marccap

Ive never watched an episode or anything but I just downloaded it yesterday and loving it. Its not expensive and you get a nice easy shiny plat

Add Me on PSN - Marccap

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Eckes13 View Post
    If you enjoyed heavy rain, that was steeped in story and had you at the edge of your seat then u will love TWD...and if your gonna put this in a timeline, it has nothing to do with the show...and dev, state, well atleast episode one, takes place while Rick is in the coma.
    I absolutely loved Heavy rain. Looks like i am definitely gonna get this now

Lvl 9 - Gold

I see that Episode 1 is currently free on the Store... migth just have to download it and see what all the fuss is about.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by StewartBros View Post
    I see that Episode 1 is currently free on the Store... migth just have to download it and see what all the fuss is about.
    Holy shit which store US?? my friend is buying the game so i am borrowing it from him in Jan. Its still not out in Singapore

Angel of Death

In my opinion, it definitely did not deserve any GOTY awards. It has a great story, and it makes you want to come back for more, but that's about it. It's still worth it though, just for the story.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    In my opinion, it definitely did not deserve any GOTY awards. It has a great story, and it makes you want to come back for more, but that's about it. It's still worth it though, just for the story.
    Oh okay If the story is good i will definitely play it and also my friend is lending me so i dont have to buy the game plus its a free plat

PRO Member

Walking Dead GOTY for a reason and its noot the easy Plat. I would just buy it if I were you its a measley 20 bucks but either way enjoy.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by abhinandhan22 View Post
    Everyone's saying good things about walking dead and it won Goty from VGA 2012 and Ign will also probably give it goty. Is it really that good and also do u need to read the comics or watch the tv series to understand the storyline?
    No prior knowledge of comic/tv show is needed to enjoy this game.
    WD is an awesome game in its own right.
    I absolutely loved this game,and it almost made me cry during a certain part(most ppl will know what i mean).
    The tv show is amazing,i haven't read the comics,although i bet they're good and the game rocks.

The Walking Dead is........................................AWESOME.

Lvl 9 - Gold

If you like the game I HIGHLY recommend the comic books. They're really good.
    I watched the first season of the tv series and didn't really like it but as far as I know they changed the story so it doesn't follow the comic books, I might go back to it just to have more insight on the TWD universe.
    Anyway, the game is really good, and the comic book too. There's a special edition of the game that comes with a retail copy and the first 40 numbers of the comic or so.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

PRO Member

Yeah, like everybody else has said, you don't need to know anything about this engaging world to understand what is going on. It has an all new cast of characters besides a couple of guest appearances. This is possibly the best story ever told in a game. Hell, I rate its story higher than Metal Gear Solid's. And coming from me, that is saying a lot. So if you enjoy a well crafted story in a game than do yourself a favor and pick this up ASAP You will not be disappointed

Sig by Bladia

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Daddys_Corpse View Post
    No prior knowledge of comic/tv show is needed to enjoy this game.
    WD is an awesome game in its own right.
    I absolutely loved this game,and it almost made me cry during a certain part(most ppl will know what i mean).
    The tv show is amazing,i haven't read the comics,although i bet they're good and the game rocks.

The Walking Dead is........................................AWESOME.
    Meh, you don't really need to have knowledge. There is literally no connection between the game and the comics, and especially the show.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    Meh, you don't really need to have knowledge. There is literally no connection between the game and the comics, and especially the show.
    Well, it's in the same universe as the comics and even shares a character in Episode 1 (Glenn). Outside of that and general setting (Georgia), there's not much in common.

Personally, I think it's a fantastic game. There is one caveat, though: I don't really feel that the different choices you make have a huge difference on the final outcome. This doesn't mean that the story isn't still great on its own, though. It just seemed like they pushed this idea that your endgame will be drastically different than someone else's based on your choices, but I don't see that is being true now that it's all said and done.

Latest Platinum: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV)
    Next Platinum: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Twitter: @JEWombat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast