Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset

This is a discussion on About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I know how the stereo headset simulates the 'surround sound', making it seem like I can hear everything and where ...

Deathless Destroyer

I know how the stereo headset simulates the 'surround sound', making it seem like I can hear everything and where it is. It simulates it via mini amplifiers within the headphones positioned in such a way that you could techniquely hear everything around you, but not exactly where. Does the bass thing sort that for you?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Retired Staff Member

Was going to make a thread about these asking if anyone else got them, but I see there is sort of one here already
    I got these for christmas and I am loving them so far. I've only played two games with them however, Final Fantasy XIII and Medal of Honor Warfighter.

For FF13, these are way better than my surround sound system (which is pretty good, but not top of the line by any means). Even just the menu music blows me away. No real use for the bass impact in this type of game though, as when I had it on, it only activated to bass in the music.

For MoH, (a game which I think has phenomenal sound effects), I was quite disappointed. It doesn't have the oomph that I expected. As far as the bass impact, when I had it on while on the Shooter setting, there was not much varying to it. It was either off or it was full blast, no matter where the slider was. Also, it only activated to the music or thunder. Never to gunshots or grenades, which was weird. I tried it on the generic Game setting as well. The overall sound was pretty similar, I couldn't tell Shooter or Game apart honestly. But the bass impact was much different on the Game setting. It did in fact have levels of intensity depending on where the slider was, and it activated to gunshots and explosions. That being said, it also activated to music. I found myself playing with the bass impact off, but as far as just a pair of headphones go, they are great quality, I love them. Comfortable too.

Only tried them on two games so far. But I plan on giving em a go on a few more titles soon. I also can't speak to the voice chat or the mic, as I have not used that function yet.

illegal in 9 countries

I got mine about a week ago and I have to admit, I was underwhelmed. I'm used to my Astro A30's and honestly, they kick the Pulse headset's arse. That's to be expected given the Astro's are roughly twice the price. But I wanted a completely wireless set and didn't feel like dropping another $350 on Astro just for that, so I went for the Pulse.

The headband on the Pulse is a bit tight over the top which gets pretty uncomfortable. Loosen it off and it puts pressure under the ears, which isn't ideal either. Don't even attempt to sling them around your neck (I do that sometimes so I can hear my wife nagging) or you'll choke yourself out. In comparison, I can wear my Astros all day long with zero discomfort.

The Pulse cups aren't super-comfortable and are made of cheapish faux-leather material which doesn't feel particularly nice, but they do sound ok...no real complaints. Both high and low-end are balanced and fleshed out and the surround sound works well - it's very easy to identify the direction of the sound. The BassImpact feature works but not as well as I'd hoped, but equally, it doesn't feel necessary. The XMB integration is also a nice touch. Like Bounce, I can't vouch for the microphone as I'm yet to use it.

The Pulse headset sounds pretty good, especially for the price and on that basis, they're great value. But I don't find them to be anywhere near as comfortable as Astros nor do I expect them to last as long, so in that respect you get what you pay for. They're not bad and should be on-par with similarly priced Turtle Beach headsets, but don't expect them to compete with the higher-range sets out there, like Astro Gaming.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 12-28-2012 at 07:30 AM.

Retired Staff Member

So I've had some more time with the headset. It has its ups and downs. The battery life is really not that great. On a full charge I only had maybe 6 ish hours with it. Maybe that's normal for headsets? Idk.
    Also, I used to mic today, I was told my voice was very crisp and there wasn't any background noise, so thats good. Also, while listening to people talk, you can adjust the game audio to voice audio ratio, which is neat. My sweet spot was on the default though, but you can make it so that when someone is talking, the game gets quieter. Pretty neat.
    While having a hangover they are not the most comfortable thing in the world, and the bass impact is a bad decision.
    Even not hungover, I haven't found much use for the bass impact. Usually it catches the music bass, which is annoying.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I would recommend buying the headset because by using an ear-piece, you block one of you ears to the sounds of the sound system which means that even though you are using a 7.1 sound system, you'll only hear it from ~1.5 ears. Also for the surround sound headsets, they work by making the sound go to one ear and then the next ear. If the sound comes from the front or the back then both ears get the sound pretty much simultaneously and the more to one side it is, the more apart both sounds are. By doing that, the headphone tricks your brain into thinking it is in a 3D hearing environment even though you really are on a 2D environment. Also by making the ear-cups with multiple "drums", and positioning them on different axes, you trick the brain into thinking it's not just from East-West but you can also create NW/NE sounds for in front or WNW/NE for slightly to the NW and so on. It's really interesting when you come down to it.

PS All-Stars Battle Royale [85%], The Walking Dead: The Game [46%]
    Spec Ops: The Line [74%], The Beatles: Rock Band [55%], WipEout 2048 [66%]

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hi
    I recently purchased the new Sony pulse stereo headset with the built in mic. So far I'm loving the headset overall. There is just one issue that I'm facing...whenever I speak to someone in the game, I can head my voice in the headset it annoys me a bit and I was wanting to know if there's a fault with my mic or headset or whether I can somehow turn that feature off?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12