Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset

This is a discussion on About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; After a bit of shopping around while overseas, I came across a good deal for a headset to use with ...

Deathless Destroyer

About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset

After a bit of shopping around while overseas, I came across a good deal for a headset to use with my PS3. The price overseas is RM350, which is about AU $110 compared to in Australia $160. What I was wondering is if I should even buy a headset or whether I should just buy one of those things for voice-chat, as I have a 7.1 surround sound setup with my over 100 inch projector display back at home (keep your amazed facial expressions to yourself please ). I am able to hear what is all around me and from which direction, though when using a headset the sound comes from only two directions, meaning I no longer know for example which door opened but I will still hear it. Is it worth my money to buy just so I can chat online or can I spare without the headset?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Death is Awaiting....

I bought one, since the other headsets I had (turtlebeach) sucked fucking ass. I think it's a pretty good headset. I would give it a 9/10. Only thing I don't like is that I can't move my mic up next to the muff. It just kinda slides back in which is fine. But overall I think it's worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Schismalicious View Post
    I bought one, since the other headsets I had (turtlebeach) sucked fucking ass. I think it's a pretty good headset. I would give it a 9/10. Only thing I don't like is that I can't move my mic up next to the muff. It just kinda slides back in which is fine. But overall I think it's worth it.
    Are you able to hear which direction precisely stuff is coming from on top of hearing it in the first place?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Lord of all Goat-Men

If you already have 7.1 audio there's no need for the headset. Instead pickup Sony's in-ear bluetooth headset. They cost about $30-40 and are just for voice chat.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Are you able to hear which direction precisely stuff is coming from on top of hearing it in the first place?
    The primary feature of the Pulse Elite is not the directional audio of 7.1, but the BassImpact "technology". The headset vibrates similar to a DualShock rumble to indicate where the noise is coming from.

I already own Astro Gaming MixAmp and A30's and was considering the wireless A50's, but chose the Pulse headset for BassImpact. I'm still waiting for them to be delivered and will post my thoughts when received.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    If you already have 7.1 audio there's no need for the headset. Instead pickup Sony's in-ear bluetooth headset. They cost about $30-40 and are just for voice chat.
    Agreed. I would just buy something voice-chat (like what's being suggested). Save the extra money.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaIsJustin View Post
    Agreed. I would just buy something voice-chat (like what's being suggested). Save the extra money.
    The thing is, I rarely use my projector for my PS3, mainly only for downloaded movies and tv series. I use my PS3 on a 40-inch tv which has only two speakers. Should I get the headset for that, or just leave it and get the voice-chatter?

PRO Member

I have the 7.1 Pulse Headset. I think they're great, minus a few things. My decision was made by this...I play a lot at night when people are sleeping and I've always wanted to still hear what was going on, plus my dog recently ate my bluetooth mic

BAM. Decision made. Yeah they're expensive, but if you can get them for $120 I would pick them up. The mic is fantastic as well. (It's hidden and crystal clear from what I've been told.)

Very pleased with this investment. The bass boost is nice too. The only problems (if you can call them that) is that it doesn't come with a charging cord, but you should have one anyway. I have two quite longer ones that I purchased when my local store was going out of business for a good price, so I can charge them while on my dome. The only other issue that I've noticed is that there is no clear indication to when they're finished charging. You can check it all you want like a controller, but it appears to be forever charging. The light on the unit does turn off after a while, but I'm not convinced that it's a clear way of showing it's completely charged...nothing in the instruction manual indicates this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Schismalicious View Post
    Sorry Schizzy, I think you're referring to the previous model. He's asking about the Pulse headset. The mic is completely integrated into the earmuff. It's fantastic.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 8 - Gold

The thing is, I rarely use my projector for my PS3, mainly only for downloaded movies and tv series. I use my PS3 on a 40-inch tv which has only two speakers. Should I get the headset for that, or just leave it and get the voice-chatter?
    you should get the headsets,you cant tell exactly where the sound is coming from but you can tell if its from the left or right,which helps alot when playing online multiplayer,the voice quality is alot better also.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Hmmm, maybe I'm being dense. I'll assume then that it isn't feasible to still use your surround sound set-up with your 40-inch TV, as well? If not, then I say a good 7.1 headset is useful. I'm hearing good reviews of the ones you're looking at and, at that price point, you can't beat it. I paid US$250 for my A40s when they came out. I love them, but something comparable at half the price? Nice.

Latest Platinum: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV)
    Next Platinum: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Twitter: @JEWombat

INTJ

any headset that advertises itself as a surround sound headset is a lying piece of shit.

It basically means they implemented software that makes it seem surround sound but is still just two speakers.

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    any headset that advertises itself as a surround sound headset is a lying piece of shit.

It basically means they implemented software that makes it seem surround sound but is still just two speakers.
    Obviously. Thanks for that.

Back to the OP's question, either Sony headset is a good option if you're playing late at night and don't want to wake people up, or your only other option is using your TV speakers.

If you are able to use your surround sound, do that and just get a basic headset for chat as others have suggested. You wouldn't want to use the Sony sets just for chat with your surround sound system, because you're muffling the sound from the speakers by covering your ears.

The other thing I'd add is that I have actually been really disappointed with the chat on mine - specifically with the fact that I can't hear myself talking, even after they patched the firmware to allow sidetone. This could be an issue with games I've played more than the headset, I'm not sure, but it's virtually worthless as a chat headset for me.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    Obviously. Thanks for that.

Back to the OP's question, either Sony headset is a good option if you're playing late at night and don't want to wake people up, or your only other option is using your TV speakers.

If you are able to use your surround sound, do that and just get a basic headset for chat as others have suggested. You wouldn't want to use the Sony sets just for chat with your surround sound system, because you're muffling the sound from the speakers by covering your ears.

The other thing I'd add is that I have actually been really disappointed with the chat on mine - specifically with the fact that I can't hear myself talking, even after they patched the firmware to allow sidetone. This could be an issue with games I've played more than the headset, I'm not sure, but it's virtually worthless as a chat headset for me.
    I never use that feature. If you don't mind me asking, why is it that important to hear yourself when chatting with others? Wouldn't that become a nuisance when communicating? Also, you could always just test it in accessory settings before you start a game to make sure it's working?

I guess I'm just unsure of why you would want to hear yourself and not others. Be gentle.

|
    |by Smashguy |

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I never use that feature. If you don't mind me asking, why is it that important to hear yourself when chatting with others? Wouldn't that become a nuisance when communicating? Also, you could always just test it in accessory settings before you start a game to make sure it's working?

I guess I'm just unsure of why you would want to hear yourself and not others. Be gentle.
    I like to hear myself as it sometimes appears that your talking to nobody. I much prefer side tone on.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by dividsmythe View Post
    I like to hear myself as it sometimes appears that your talking to nobody. I much prefer side tone on.
    But if you're talking to somebody, you're not talking to nobody?

|
    |by Smashguy |

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post

Im not sure why the other guy uses it but I like its so you can tell what your sounding like to others and makes it alot easier to optimize chat settings before you get in game. Its very helpful. Also you can hear everyone else too pefectly its just you can hear yourself in the mix. Like I said it is so when you have your headset blasting in game SFX your not screaming into the mic like a douche because you cant hear yourself talking.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac718 View Post
    Im not sure why the other guy uses it but I like its so you can tell what your sounding like to others and makes it alot easier to optimize chat settings before you get in game. Its very helpful. Also you can hear everyone else too pefectly its just you can hear yourself in the mix. Like I said it is so when you have your headset blasting in game SFX your not screaming into the mic like a douche because you cant hear yourself talking.
    Lol. I guess that makes sense. I have never used it myself so I really don't know. I do know with this particular headset, you can adjust how much of each you want to hear as well with a slider. I really like that feature and this headset.

|
    |by Smashguy |

PRO Member

yea first time I heard myself I was like WTF that will get annoying but it grows on you. Ive been wanting the Pulses since I heard sony made a headset with better bass a few months ago but with christmas time here things are tight but after Im sure it wont be an issue. Till then its my Turtle Beaches LOL but I cant complain theyre pretty good too.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac718 View Post
    yea first time I heard myself I was like WTF that will get annoying but it grows on you. Ive been wanting the Pulses since I heard sony made a headset with better bass a few months ago but with christmas time here things are tight but after Im sure it wont be an issue. Till then its my Turtle Beaches LOL but I cant complain theyre pretty good too.
    That's the reason I went with the Pulse headset. I was looking for the best option for a decent price. There are loads of others (like Turtle Beach and such). I almost got the previous model, but after reading reviews of a bunch of different headsets, I was committed to purchase the Pulse Headset. I hope you get them for Christmas though!

|
    |by Smashguy |

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Most advertise "simulated surround sound". Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the headsets have multiple speakers, so it'd be more than two.

Latest Platinum: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV)
    Next Platinum: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Twitter: @JEWombat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast