Multiplayer in story rich single player games?

This is a discussion on Multiplayer in story rich single player games? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I was just pondering if multiplayer in a single player game is a good thing or a bad thing?. My ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Multiplayer in story rich single player games?

I was just pondering if multiplayer in a single player game is a good thing or a bad thing?. My most anticipated game next year at the moment is The Last of Us and I hear Naughtydog is putting MP in. I was reading the post below how it's not tacked on and it was intended from the get go but I would rather another 10+ hours of story (as its looking fricking awesome) than the multiplayer they have planned. Dead Space 2 included MP and it just didn't work where as Mass Effect 3's MP wasn't bad, with the right group of friends it was a blast. I'm sure coming from Naughtydog it will be similar to Uncharted 2 & 3's so what do you guys think would you rather developers concentrate on putting more story and gameplay into SP games or take a chance on a MP mode that might turn out to be a lot of fun and maybe increase the time you spend with the game 10 fold?

Lvl 8 - Gold

I don't mind multiplayer as long as development is focused on singleplayer and not the other way around. In other words, if they want to add multiplayer it's fine, as long as singleplayer doesn't suffer for it.

Naughty Dog is a great developer and there SHOULDN'T be any problems, but UC3 felt a bit rushed towards the end and it could have something to do with a multiplayer experience that's much bigger than than that of UC2. They also removed stuff from singleplayer, like the cheats you can unlock. TLOU doesn't need multiplayer at all, but they added it so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

INTJ

the only way multiplayer will work in a story rich game is if you give it a story too

see: Portal 2. Assassins Creed.

bioshock 2 is a sad excuse, but it wasn't made by irrational games so whatever.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    the only way multiplayer will work in a story rich game is if you give it a story too

Exactly that. Doesn't even have to be an amazingly thought provoking story either, just enough to make you want to find out what's next ( Portal 2 ) or a basic structure that allows multiple freeform playthroughs to keep the longevity up ( Left 4 Dead, AC Brotherhood/ Revelations, Max Payne 3 ).

Rangers F.C

I like a bit of story co-op but as far as multiplayer goes I hate it all and if I buy a game new I don't even activate the code and will trade the game in without ever taking the card out the case .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Basically this. If a game had a story in the multiplayer as well (like a co-op), that might work too, like in Far Cry 3.

PRO Member

In a multiverses of different bodies and souls

It's difficult to find a medium, actually. It's either good multiplayer or a good single player, not usually both.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm all for story-driven single-player games incorporating a multiplayer aspect, provided that said MP aspect doesn't detract from the SP side of the game. Uncharted 2 managed to include a great online side to the game without it negatively affecting the single-player game, although there was no real plot to the MP. Assassin's Creed has featured a more story-driven multiplayer component that enables the player to discover more about Abstergo by ranking up, but it seems to have come at the cost of a smaller single-player story. GTA IV featured an extensive MP element while still managing to have a lengthy campaign.

I personally prefer games that include a co-operative element to their MP, since not everybody wants to play strictly competitive games when they go online.