Sony is limiting PS Vita 3G downloads to 20MB at launch

This is a discussion on Sony is limiting PS Vita 3G downloads to 20MB at launch within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; As the PS3 and Xbox 360 has shown, if youíre going to release a new piece of gaming hardware it ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

Sony is limiting PS Vita 3G downloads to 20MB at launch

As the PS3 and Xbox 360 has shown, if youíre going to release a new piece of gaming hardware it has to support online features including digital game downloads. That also applies to mobile platforms now that the iPhone and Android devices have made app stores popular, and Nintendo is making a big deal about the 3DS eShop.

Sony is no exception to this rule and will support a range of online and download features at launch for the PS Vita. Thereís even a 3G version of the Vita to allow for such access away from home or a WiFi access point.

As the mobile networks keep telling us, supporting lots of heavy-users on 3G devices trying to watch movies, download apps and music, as well as having video chats puts their infrastructure under massive stress. It seems Sony has realized that may happen with the PS Vita, or at least been told it will by the mobile industry in Japan. After all, thereís going to be multiple thousands of them sold on launch day, and most gamers will be checking out the digital download games and content immediately.

With that in mind, apparently thereís going to be a rather severe limit on the size of the files you can download with the PS Vita over 3G at launch. That limit is set to 20MB. In other words, if thereís a digital download game you want thatís 100MB, you wonít be able to download it to the PS Vita over 3G for the time being.

Thatís the plan in Japan at least, but donít be surprised if similar caps are put in place for Western markets as a safety net. The one consolation being it isnít a permanent cap, just a temporary one until sales and usage settles to a more predictable flow.

Limiting your use of 3G actually makes sense, and you could see this as Sony doing you a favor due to the high cost of the PS Vita data plans. 20 hours costs you $13 and 100 hours is $64. At a download rate of 128Kbps, downloading large files is soon going to burn through that time.

INTJ

the iphone does that too.

10 mb limits sometimes.

Lvl 4 - Silver

The PSVs limits is only over 3g otherwise its fine same with iPhone but you could always get a better data plan.

Crocodile Hunter

hey ApplePope you might be interested in this

Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions

you would be at home there....jus sayin

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    hey ApplePope you might be interested in this

Mac Forums | Apple, iPod, iPhone Discussions

you would be at home there....jus sayin
    I was on an Apple forum they said the same thing because i was talking about ps3 lol just kidding

Crocodile Hunter

I have an iphone and ipad and i dnt mind them but dude seriously they are not THAT good enough to constantly promote the company on a PS3 forum, 1 no1 cares and 2 its annoying....talk about PS3 stuff man, if not go on the apple forum and register

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 4 - Silver

i have been talking about ps3 stuff see
    http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...-hardware.html
    http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/ge...mb-launch.html
    http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/mi...sary-xbox.html
    and tons of comments on various threads
    so don't get pissed off because the only posts you have seen of mine were apple related
    and also i posted those 'apple subjects' in the Apple section if i didn't its because i accidentally did it.

Crocodile Hunter

im not pissed off i just said dnt promote apple THAT much because they are not THAT good.....its clear you like them we can see that in ur sig, avy and name

Sig by Apokolypz

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    I have an iphone and ipad and i dnt mind them but dude seriously they are not THAT good enough to constantly promote the company on a PS3 forum, 1 no1 cares and 2 its annoying....talk about PS3 stuff man, if not go on the apple forum and register
    He IS posting the apple related threads in the correct section, can't argue with that.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

i have a 120gb bandwidth limit at ome so the 20 mb limit dont bother me

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser