Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

THQ Files for Bankrupcy

This is a discussion on THQ Files for Bankrupcy within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Kissfan89 Its worrying when a company the size of THQ files for bankrupcy. How long before EA ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Kissfan89 View Post
    Its worrying when a company the size of THQ files for bankrupcy. How long before EA and Activision are in trouble??
    I'd venture to guess with Call of Duty and the Blizzard IPs, Activision will do fine for awhile longer, even if they don't innovate or add to their repertoire.

Latest Platinum: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV)
    Next Platinum: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Twitter: @JEWombat

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by WhoaIsJustin View Post
    I'd venture to guess with Call of Duty and the Blizzard IPs, Activision will do fine for awhile longer, even if they don't innovate or add to their repertoire.
    Not to mention the money Skylanders is raking in (also Angry Birds is selling great on consoles as well). Activision will be just fine

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Change is mediocre

I'm surprised they're bankrupt, they used to be the shit back in the day.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Not to mention the money Skylanders is raking in (also Angry Birds is selling great on consoles as well). Activision will be just fine
    Agreed I'm always having to buy more Skylanders Figures for the shop & I buy my girls 4 a month for their game collection

THQ & going bankrupt does not surprise me 1 bit.

Here is a list of all their games. I just went through them all & I found a whooping 7 games that I would play.
    List of games by THQ

Saints Row & Darksiders will be missed if someone doesn't pick them up & well the WWE games..... NA NA NANA, NA NA NANA, HEY HEY HEY Goodbye
    Last edited by great_daze_tazer; 12-19-2012 at 07:30 PM. Reason: forgot to add the list link

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Up the Irons!

Hopefully South Park will get them out of this mess.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by APriceless View Post
    Hopefully South Park will get them out of this mess.
    No chance. It's a niche game with limited appeal.

I expect to see various IPs sold off over the coming months to repay creditors. THQ is a dead duck but franchises like Saints Row, Company of Heroes, Dawn of War and maybe Darksiders and Homefront should live on.

Yankees And Packers <3

Not all that surprised there games as off late haven't been very good.

Venire, Videre, Vince

The UDraw game tablet did not help them either, as they decided not to put more effort and development into that product.

Lvl 9 - Gold

THQ has set the bar for all games in terms of in game voice acting, by far the best across most of thier games. it will be a shame if they go under

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    So people arn't idiots

THQ IS BANKRUPT. THEY ARE NOT OUT OF BUISNESS. THIS MEANS YOU WILL STILL PROBABLY GET THE GAME YOUR WAITING FOR. THQ ALSO DIDNT LIST THE DEVS THEY OWN LIKE RELIC, 4A, ETC. IN THE CHAPTER 11 SO THEY ARE PERFECTLY FINE
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT MY EYES!? MY CORNEAS ARE DEAF!!!

Yelling never proves a point or makes you right . I hope THQ is able to pull through. They have such a rich list of titles under their belt, many of which I've owned. I'm definitely looking forward to South Park, and I think it will put up great numbers with the cult following of all things South Park.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 3 - Bronze

4 of THQ's unannounced titles have been outed including Turtle Rock's next game and Patrice Desilets' game.
    Four THQ Titles Outed In Bankruptcy Filing - News - www.GameInformer.com

My Battlelog
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/user/Hozkinz/

Anime and music,other things reasonable to discuss in a good website
    http://www.kotatsulounge.com/forum

myanimelist
    http://myanimelist.net/profile/Bioware
    (yes,I formed this as a troll account)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I didn't even realize Skylanders was an Activision property!

Latest Platinum: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV)
    Next Platinum: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Twitter: @JEWombat

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    No chance. It's a niche game with limited appeal.
    one of the biggest cartoon series in america developed by the best RPG maker in america

i doubt it.

illegal in 9 countries

one of the biggest cartoon series in america developed by the best RPG maker in america

i doubt it.
    Wait and see. It won't sell anywhere near the units required to dig THQ out of the shit.

They need a Call of Duty-esque release with wide-ranging appeal beyond the fanbase of the TV show, not My Little Pony or Spongebob Squarepants fanboy territory.

Niche game...you'll see.

Crocodile Hunter

Its sad to see this as they have a few good games, tho im still pissed that they stopped making MX vs ATV series

Sig by Apokolypz

INTJ

Wait and see. It won't sell anywhere near the units required to dig THQ out of the shit.

They need a Call of Duty-esque release with wide-ranging appeal beyond the fanbase of the TV show, not My Little Pony or Spongebob Squarepants fanboy territory.
    Everyone in the Teen/Young adult demographic pretty much watches south park at some point

they have the demographic down hard Due to the ability to pump a episode out in a week and be relevant. It's the teenage equivalent of the simpsons without it being stale yet.

not to mention they made South park the stick of truth look exactly like the show, i dont know how the hell they arn't going to get alot of sales.

illegal in 9 countries

Everyone in the Teen/Young adult demographic pretty much watches south park at some point

they have the demographic down hard Due to the ability to pump a episode out in a week and be relevant. It's the teenage equivalent of the simpsons without it being stale yet.
    I watched South Park when I was a young adult. The series is 15 years old and I stopped watching about 10 years ago because even then, it was as stale as mouldy bread. Fart, poop, vomit, headshot, Jew, Fag...there's only so much mileage you can get out of that formula.

In terms of gaming, South Park has all of the pulling power of The Simpsons or Family Guy, which is to say sweet fuck all. It'll be perceived as a kiddy game with a few fart jokes to the general public...not enough to get THQ out of bankruptcy. Fanboy sales will not be enough.

You might want to review the definition of that word - it means they don't have enough money to repay their debts. The company is in a debt spiral and sinking fast. Companies call for bankruptcy proceedings because it's illegal to trade insolvent, ie...no fucking money! One minor release isn't going to solve that problem.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I watched South Park when I was a young adult. The series is 15 years old and I stopped watching about 10 years ago because even then, it was as stale as mouldy bread. Fart, poop, vomit, headshot, Jew, Fag...there's only so much mileage you can get out of that formula.
    To be fair, from about 10 years ago (sadly the point in which you stopped watching) the show changed it's focus into becoming more of a social satire that can take hot topics and turn them into a unique perspective that although sometimes vulgar and over the line, oftentimes is somewhat thought provoking in it's perspective from a bunch of kids who are shaped by said events. The first few seasons were pretty bad, and have aged horribly, but the recent episodes normally do a pretty funny job of putting things into perspective, and in a way in which nothing is off-limits.

But I do agree with you about South Park not having enough pull to save THQ from the hole they are in. Could it be a top 3 seller for them? Yes, but sadly top 3 seller does not have the leverage to save the company. It looks like the investor will let the current crop go on as usual until some other companies can swoop in and buy the developer portions of the company for pennies on the dollar.

It's sad to see developers close, and THQ was a decent developer. The good news is, at least for the time being, nobody outside of corporate is really going to be hurt in the short term by the process.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

PRO Member

Latest info

THQ’s financial troubles reached a head last night as the company filed for bankruptcy. Ably covered in Peter’s post, no doubt, but closer examination of the filing reveals a number of code-names and working titles for games that were in development with the publisher.First up is Vigil Games, who most will know for their work on the Darksiders games. According to the filing they’re now working on something called Crawler – there’s no more information on what Crawler might be but it’s likely to be a code-name for the next Darksiders, perhaps a spin-off title.
    Turtle Rock Studios are working on something called Evolve, which is a co-op action game. Evolve’s likely to be the final name for the game, given an earlier trademark filing from THQ. Relic Entertainment, known for Warhammer 40,000 and Company of Heroes are apparently behind something called Atlas, which is set to launch in 2014.
    Finally, there’s something called 1666, again already filed as a trademark.
    The bankruptcy statement included two graphs of note, too – one shows budget plans for the next few years, and another predicted revenue. The first graph shows that Evolve’s development budget will run dry in 2014, suggesting a release that year. 1666′s budget goes another twelve months beyond, pinning that at (perhaps) 2015.
    The second graph shows that Atlas has no predicted sales – perhaps that’s a free to play game, as pointed out by Polygon‘s Griffin McElroy.
    THQ Bankruptcy Filing Reveals New Games, Working Titles

Lvl 9 - Gold

I'm personally not a huge follower of THQ's work, at least not in the recent generations (good old THQ in the PS1 days was awesome), but it's really sad to see this. I hope whoever acquires THQ keep making good games though.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast