Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Challenge in today's games

This is a discussion on Challenge in today's games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Having cut my teeth on "ye olde games" of the early to mid 80s I understand what you're saying. However ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Having cut my teeth on "ye olde games" of the early to mid 80s I understand what you're saying. However I appreciate being able to actually beat the games that are coming out today. I get a great feeling of accomplishment when I beat a game and somehow feel more justified as to having bought it after I beat it. This is even more reinforced, in my mind, with the addition of trophies that I see as a way for game developers to say to the players "Do these things and you've done everything we wanted you to get out of this game." Now having said all of that, I really do love beating games like Dark Souls. It is a reminder of my gaming roots and the pure feeling of victory after defeating a particularly difficult boss. Dark Souls is the one platinum trophy I earned that I am most proud of.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I think others have put it more succinctly than I could. In any case, I personally don't mind. I think they've done well to open gaming to a wider market, and I can't blame them for that.

Further, it seems like it would be ideal if they could offer a more custom experience based on the gamer, anyhow. As difficulty settings emerged, I'm sure some developers (and gamers) imagined that there could eventually be an infinite spectrum of difficulty in the games; the range could go from ridiculously easy and simple, to mind, soul, and body crushingly difficult. Inevitably, I would hope that becomes a reality. I hope that anyone can go into any game on the market and customize their experience nearly completely based on their skill level and preference. And game developers would do well to offer that kind of customization based on the myriad types of gamers out there at the moment.

Also:

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Also when you finally did beat those super tough games often times you got an ending like this

Oh yeah that was worth the hours I put into that game. I will take my slightly easier games and actually get an ending worth watching.
    (I only know what game this is from because of AVGN... )
    Got a YouTube channel? Join our group: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/group.php?groupid=109

Making random gameplay videos at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRevRickyD

Message me if you make videos on YouTube or can record a commentary track and want to collaborate on some gameplay/multiplayer together. I'd like to get a group of people together from PS3T's to start making videos.

PRO Member

I don't see too much of a difference in the difficulty games from then till now. But the game culture has improved entirely.

The games aren't easier, we just have better gamers.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

In relation to the op, I do agree. I have just recently plat'd Sonics collection again and some of the games in there reminded me of how challenging some games were back in the day. And I look at some games now and difficulty wise, they just don't have a patch on some of the older games from back in the day imo.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Rangers F.C

There is probably not that much difference in games today , l used to find resident evil a challenge but now its piss easy , l think its more a case of you are a more experianced gamer now after years of practice
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Seems a lot of people these days are afraid of playing games with massive difficulty. I talk to some people around my community about Dark Souls and most of them are even afraid to touch the game. Unlike the good old days where people enjoy playing games even if they die a lot. I grew up with Contra and Gradius heck i even experience Ghost n Goblins annoying difficulty when i bought the compilation on the PS.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I have more fun with todays games that are 'easier' because I'm not getting frustrated which makes me want to just stop playing. I like enjoying a game and seeing the story like in Assassin's Creed (they are not hard but they are just so fun to play). Saying that its still nice to have a challenge but I like to attempt that after enjoying it once so varying difficulties are the way to go.

When I start a game on a difficulty I always start with one above the easiest (Normal) because usually it still has some challenge but enjoyable to play

Lord of all Goat-Men

I'm really Ok with games being "easier".

If I had to choose between Dark Souls and Uncharted, I'd choose Uncharted every time because I love how it takes you for a ride; the narrative, the characters, the locations, the set pieces - all great and entertaining stuff.

Also the age of gamers has greatly increased (the average is 25), and many of us play games to unwind or relax after a day at work or finishing an essay, or to blow off some steam on a weekend. A soul-crushing level of difficulty is not really conducive to the pursuit of zen ^___^

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12