Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Destructoid Article: "Online Passes for all future games."

This is a discussion on Destructoid Article: "Online Passes for all future games." within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My question is this. Why even argue with Minarum? Because A) he can't tell anyone how much say Activision spends ...

Platinum Dohvakiin

My question is this. Why even argue with Minarum? Because A) he can't tell anyone how much say Activision spends on servers or sever maintenance. And B) He wouldn't even know how to get the information in the first place. Because if he did. He would have posted it a long time ago.

If you want the information. All you have to do is get a hold of their annual and quarterly reports. The info is free and is available to every share holder or potential share holder and anybody else for that matter. You just have to know where to look, and how to read it. You want to know how much a Gaming Publisher spends on their servers. Call them up and ask for the reports. They will send them to you. Because every Publicly Traded Company in the US and even their subsidies outside the US has to account for every dollar they make and where they spend it. And file it with the SEC. And be given to their Share Holders.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Minarum, Look above. You responded to me. I never responded to you. Here's the link

I never responded to you, I was looking for a response for the guys who made the statement the server costs were on the rise rise. And I have looked on the internet for any sound evidence of this and you know what I'm not going to waste more.

Finally, the games I play from Gamefly are games I wouldn't normally buy but I'm interested in trying them. Why in the world would I spend any money on something that I didn't know whether I'd like? That's the purpose of Gamefly in my mind, that was the purpose of Blockbuster and other video game rental places. Sure people abuse it use it and don't contribute to the developers but you're making a bold assumption that I am one of them when you don't even know me at all. And here's the kicker. If I like the game I often buy it from Amazon or a department store NOT ONLY FOR MYSELF but often for my girlfriend as well. I don't buy games used because I've been ripped off by GS and other companies of that style.

This entire thing between you and I has gone spiraling out of control and frankly it's completely stupid. And As I pointed out above, you're the one that started it for whatever reason. Perhaps you misinterpreted my post because I didn't address it to anyone in particular. I don't know and I don't care enough to spend anymore time to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by platzreign View Post
    If you want the information. All you have to do is get a hold of their annual and quarterly reports. The info is free and is available to every share holder or potential share holder and anybody else for that matter. You just have to know where to look, and how to read it. You want to know how much a Gaming Publisher spends on their servers. Call them up and ask for the reports. They will send them to you. Because every Publicly Traded Company in the US and even their subsidies outside the US has to account for every dollar they make and where they spend it. And file it with the SEC. And be given to their Share Holders.
    Thank you for the information, I just figured that somewhere in the vast world of Video Game Journalism and forums across the world would have already obtained this information. Perhaps I will give em a call. I am curious if there is any validity to this.
    Last edited by Roymond; 10-04-2011 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Combining two posts.
    -Roy

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Roymond View Post
    Minarum, Look above. You responded to me. I never responded to you. Here's the link

I never responded to you, I was looking for a response for the guys who made the statement the server costs were on the rise rise. And I have looked on the internet for any sound evidence of this and you know what I'm not going to waste more.

Finally, the games I play from Gamefly are games I wouldn't normally buy but I'm interested in trying them. Why in the world would I spend any money on something that I didn't know whether I'd like? That's the purpose of Gamefly in my mind, that was the purpose of Blockbuster and other video game rental places. Sure people abuse it use it and don't contribute to the developers but you're making a bold assumption that I am one of them when you don't even know me at all. And here's the kicker. If I like the game I often buy it from Amazon or a department store NOT ONLY FOR MYSELF but often for my girlfriend as well. I don't buy games used because I've been ripped off by GS and other companies of that style.

This entire thing between you and I has gone spiraling out of control and frankly it's completely stupid. And As I pointed out above, you're the one that started it for whatever reason. Perhaps you misinterpreted my post because I didn't address it to anyone in particular. I don't know and I don't care enough to spend anymore time to figure it out.
    Here's my initial post that I responded to you with.

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/pl...html#post17186

But I gave you a reason for some justification for this, which in part is what you asked for. Didn't know you wanted specific server information and cost, which is why I responded the way I did. So sorry~.

My question is this. Why even argue with Minarum? Because A) he can't tell anyone how much say Activision spends on servers or sever maintenance. And B) He wouldn't even know how to get the information in the first place. Because if he did. He would have posted it a long time ago.

Your right about A, but from past experiences owning my own private server for Lineage, and working for NC. It's expensive. And B, didn't know that's what he was looking for. But yah, of course I know where to look.

Kiwi Defender

How is this news? It was obvious they'd do it, to be honest. Personally, it doesn't affect me, since I buy my games new, so I don't care.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 8 - Gold

he can't tell anyone how much say Activision spends on servers or sever maintenance
    The fact there IS a cost involved is enough though. I mean developers aren't charging offensively high amounts, and I imagine hosting, servicing and staffing costs far out way what they do actually make from the sales.

You can't try and force a company to do something for free, it's entirely their choice. Companies are about making money, if they feel they can take the hit and provide the service for free then that's their choice to make, you cant force a company to do something for free because you want to be selfish.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Psst, Stealing money, what different between MS and Sony now ?

Visit my trophy checklist
    Forum Version

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

as long as they dont tie trophies to this i would be fine but u3 will have them

Formerly known as UrbanHellraiser

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I give it a big BOOOOOOOO

I hate this mainly due to not having the game fully there when you buy it (new or used). It takes a while for the service to be active and its not a guaranteed thing that the server will be up within 10 years anyway even with this "maintenance cost". Not to mention the general way things are going where companies are trying to make all games have online that way they can get this extra 10 from used sales, it really makes me want to go back to the way things were. Just the practice of anything focusing online. :/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123