Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Destructoid Article: "Online Passes for all future games."

This is a discussion on Destructoid Article: "Online Passes for all future games." within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Confirmed: Online passes for all future online Sony games -Destructoid Following an earlier statement from a Spanish Sony representative, Sony ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Destructoid Article: "Online Passes for all future games."

Confirmed: Online passes for all future online Sony games -Destructoid

Following an earlier statement from a Spanish Sony representative, Sony Computer Entertainment America has confirmed that an online pass will be included with Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception. Furthermore, we've been told that ALL upcoming Sony games that feature an online component will include one.

"Online Pass will be incorporated into Uncharted 3 and future Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios (SCE WWS) games with online functionality," the company told Destructoid. "We will provide further information in the future. "

So there you go. It's pretty much a given that if Sony's bringing out a game with multiplayer, you're going to have to input a code. Lovely.
    I personally think this is a bad move. I am a member of Gamefly, and I typically like to buy the multiplayer if it is good. So they want me to buy an online pass to see if the online mode is crap?

I am really sick of companies putting the screws to their customers.
    -Roy

дурак

It could have all been avoided if people spoke up about it. But people decided they didn't care in the slightest since they buy all their games new. You give companies an inch and they will take a mile.

Inb4sheep.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Resident PHD

Why don't these articles ever talk about rising server costs or how much maintenance goes into making those servers run. How about customers complaining when a company (like EA) closes down servers due to the cost of maintaining them?

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 9 - Gold

Basically Sony is forcing you to buy there games NEW. Bad move Sony, bad move.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm glad I only like to play Single Player games. But I can see why they are doing it, if you rent from gamefly. Sony is loosing out on a sale. they gotta get their money somehow.
    Batman Arkham Asylum l Batman Arkham City l Bioshock l Borderlands l GoW: Chains of Olympus l God of War
    GoW: Ghost of Sparta l God of War II l God of War III l InFamous l Killzone l Killzone 3 l LEGO Batman 2 l LEGO LotR
    LittleBigPlanet l LittleBigPlanet Vita l Plants Vs. Zombies Vita l PS All-Stars Vita l R&C: Going Commando
    R&C: Up Your Arsenal l R&C: A Crack in Time l R&C: All4One l R&C: Full Frontal Assault l Resistance: Burning Skies
    The Walking Dead l Trine 2 l Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Basically Sony is forcing you to buy there games NEW. Bad move Sony, bad move.
    You can still buy it used but if you want to play online then you have to pay. All of their games (except games like MAG or Warhawk) give great SP campaigns, this isn't like Activision or EA whose games are primarily about the online.

Also what is the cost difference between used and new? 5$ usually? Really you are saying you cannot afford that 5$ difference. On top of that most games drop in half in 2 or 3 months so if you don't want to pay for it new then just wait for the price drop.

People should be paid for their work, plain and simple.

Edit-Also people shaking their heads at Sony for this just remember MS has been doing this from the start by charging for xbox live-and that is an ongoing fee, this is a 1 time fee to play their game online forever. On top of that even if you have live you still have to pay the online fee for games that support it, so you are paying twice.

Lvl 9 - Gold

This wouldn't be such a problem to me if retailers who sell the games wern't assholes, mainly GAME and apparently Gamestop too (both the main game retailers of the UK and USA).

I know we're in recession, but still, FUCK you GAME.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Why don't these articles ever talk about rising server costs or how much maintenance goes into making those servers run. How about customers complaining when a company (like EA) closes down servers due to the cost of maintaining them?
    Paying for an online pass doesn't insure that they won't close down the servers. It doesn't guarantee that you'll even find a game when you want to play.

By charging for an online pass you are making multiplayer essentially DLC. Which means that you expect the SINGLE player to stand up on it's own. When was the last time you played a popular game that did this?

I wish game companies would stop focusing on DLC and how to squeeze every penny they can from the game and actually make the story line worthy of the price tag.
    -Roy

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Roymond View Post
    Paying for an online pass doesn't insure that they won't close down the servers. It doesn't guarantee that you'll even find a game when you want to play.

By charging for an online pass you are making multiplayer essentially DLC. Which means that you expect the SINGLE player to stand up on it's own. When was the last time you played a popular game that did this?

I wish game companies would stop focusing on DLC and how to squeeze every penny they can from the game and actually make the story line worthy of the price tag.
    A popular game with MP that had a strong SP mode...Uncharted 1, 2 Resistance 1, 2, 3, Socom 4, LBP2 etc.

Sony delivers on the SP campaign in almost all their games.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Don't forget about pirated games and so forth.

Either way, I'm glad. More money will goto the developers now because of this. And yes, I buy all my games new anyways, but I pay extremely cheap prices. Unless they make limited copies of some games, You don't have a debit or CC, or you use GF like the OP, I see no reason to want to object this. Used game prices have already dropped $10+ to accommodate the Online Pass... So you're paying the SAME price or maybe $1 more... So GJ Sony and Game Developers!

Lvl 9 - Gold

You can still buy it used but if you want to play online then you have to pay. All of their games (except games like MAG or Warhawk) give great SP campaigns, this isn't like Activision or EA whose games are primarily about the online.

Also what is the cost difference between used and new? 5$ usually? Really you are saying you cannot afford that 5$ difference. On top of that most games drop in half in 2 or 3 months so if you don't want to pay for it new then just wait for the price drop.

People should be paid for their work, plain and simple.

Edit-Also people shaking their heads at Sony for this just remember MS has been doing this from the start by charging for xbox live-and that is an ongoing fee, this is a 1 time fee to play their game online forever. On top of that even if you have live you still have to pay the online fee for games that support it, so you are paying twice.
    When Uncharted 2 came out, and it was $60 new, you could get it for $35 at a pawn shop. Huge difference. I like shopping most of my games at pawn shops because they still work so there is no reason buying it new. It's always great to save even if it's one penny. Now if you buy it used, you're going to have to pay $10 (or whatever $ony charges) for the online pass. I'm a student, and I don't work so getting money is not that easy.

So no it's not a "$5" difference.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 1 - Bronze

A popular game with MP that had a strong SP mode...Uncharted 1, 2 Resistance 1, 2, 3, Socom 4, LBP2 etc.

Sony delivers on the SP campaign in almost all their games.
    I think you're daft if you think LBP2 is worth the money but that's an argument for a different day.

I think it's a shame that all of you feel just accept being walked on here. I'm also glad that in a time of a recession when you should be preparing for the worst you can all justify spending 60 dollars (or more if you live in a country such as Australia) to get a game that provides you with 8 hours of a single player campaign. How many of you people buy new and then trade in your games? Imagine how little return you're going to get on the game that you sell in hopes of buying a NEW game?

Edit: That was directed at all the people who just went "I don't care I buy new"
    -Roy

Lvl 9 - Gold

When Uncharted 2 came out, and it was $60 new, you could get it for $35 at a pawn shop. Huge difference. I like shopping most of my games at pawn shops because they still work so there is no reason buying it new. It's always great to save even if it's one penny. Now if you buy it used, you're going to have to pay $10 (or whatever $ony charges) for the online pass. I'm a student, and I don't work so getting money is not that easy.

Dev's too. Not just Sony, and we were comparing it to your standard GS which is a ripoff as is, but true for that statement. Places like GS have lowered their prices by $10 for games that require online pass codes. But why not look into buying on Ebay or Amazon? $35 for a used game is fking outrageous. I pay no more than $35 for new games, even the day they come out. I'm sure you can save more money going that route then paying that kind of price.

I think it's a shame that all of you feel just accept being walked on here. I'm also glad that in a time of a recession when you should be preparing for the worst you can all justify spending 60 dollars
    (or more if you live in a country such as Australia) to get a game that provides you with 8 hours of a single player campaign.
    If you've been spending $60 for a game, I'd say you've been walking on yourself for some time now. There are other places you can go to get games new and used that are cheaper. I don't know how many times I have to say it but it never gets old. Ebay, amazon. Paying 50%+ off on new games since 08 for me. But lets not stop there, who remembers paying $80 for SNES games? OUCH!!!!!!!! Besides being a GF user, what beef do you have with this or anyone else? Read my previous posts why.

How many of you people buy new and then trade in your games? Imagine how little return you're going to get on the game that you sell in hopes of buying a NEW game?

Edit: That was directed at all the people who just went "I don't care I buy new"
    First off, I'd never trade in my games. WHY WOULD YOU? When you get next to nothing back for them, unless it's a new release and part of the 50% more for trade ins... If I was going to get rid of my games, Ebay or amazon and set a price and wait. Atleast I'll get close or more than what I paid for the game.
    Last edited by Minarum; 10-04-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Resident PHD

If a game is at a pawn shop when it is brand new then it is stolen which means no money went to the developer. Now in a rare case it might be a legit copy but more often than not that is the case. (which is why they can sell it cheaper, because the pawn shop took it in for nothing)

Resident PHD

I think you're daft if you think LBP2 is worth the money but that's an argument for a different day.

I think it's a shame that all of you feel just accept being walked on here. I'm also glad that in a time of a recession when you should be preparing for the worst you can all justify spending 60 dollars (or more if you live in a country such as Australia) to get a game that provides you with 8 hours of a single player campaign. How many of you people buy new and then trade in your games? Imagine how little return you're going to get on the game that you sell in hopes of buying a NEW game?

If you are wondering if you should spend your money on food for your family or a new game then the choice is pretty obvious. I always hated those customers who would come into my shop on welfare day and buy a new game or a bunch of movies, then try to return it the next week (when their check ran out). We would tell them every time they came in to buy/return that this is a final sale. Yet next month same customers would be lining up.

Gaming is a luxury not a necessity so learn to balance your money better and only get the games you want and can afford.

Lvl 9 - Gold

If a game is at a pawn shop when it is brand new then it is stolen which means no money went to the developer. Now in a rare case it might be a legit copy but more often than not that is the case. (which is why they can sell it cheaper, because the pawn shop took it in for nothing)
    Somebody played the game, beat it, pawned it. Pawn shop bought it for $15-$20, sold it for $35 taking in consideration that the game came out a week or few days ago.

The game was bought one way or another so money DID go to the dev. It's not like somebody walked into a gamestop/best buy/walmart and stole it.
    Platbar by Wadefan1

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Dr_Mayus,

My financial situation is not where I have to choose to eat or game. However unlike you, apparently, I choose not to go around throwing my money out the window because someone wants more than I feel they deserve. If you'd like to keep throwing money out the window, go right ahead.

However don't you dare expect me to do the same when the quality has not been up to what I'd expect
    -Roy

Lvl 8 - Gold

Because if they thought about that what would they bitch about then?

Lvl 8 - Gold

I choose not to go around throwing my money out the window because someone wants more than I feel they deserve.
    If you don't think they deserve the amount they charge then don't fucking buy it, simple as that. The world doesn't revolve around you and neither does it cater to you.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Oxymoron28 View Post
    Because if they thought about that what would they bitch about then?
    Making a good reference to your username

If you could provide ANY information proving that the server costs are rising, or that there is magically MORE server maintenance required NOW than there was say three or four years ago. Then maybe there'd be less bickering.

But servers are a one time cost that companies buy and use for several games. For example I'm sure that when they shut the servers for Madden 05 down they didn't get rid of them. They probably used them for Madden 08, and are probably using them now for Madden 12. Obviously there are going to be costs to repair said servers but the cost of those repairs are negligible to the cost of originally BUYING them.

There must be a reason why they don't show this information. Oh yea... because it's not true in ALL cases.
    -Roy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast