PlayStation 4 Current Development Kit Packs a Punch

This is a discussion on PlayStation 4 Current Development Kit Packs a Punch within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Off many different read sites, I have gathered that the PlayStation 4 may be able to keep up with computers ...

Deathless Destroyer

PlayStation 4 Current Development Kit Packs a Punch

Off many different read sites, I have gathered that the PlayStation 4 may be able to keep up with computers for the next 2 or 3 years after its release in the not too distant future. The hardware the PS4 uses currently in the released development kit is based off heavily optimized AMD technology. The current development kits consist of two different RAM packages - 8GB and 16GB. This may mean that the launch PS4's may have as much as 5-12GB's of RAM, as developers use some of the space for software they use.

For comparison the PS3 is packed with an almighty 512MB of RAM, half of which is dedicated to gaming alone (lol, almighty). It is from this 256MB of gaming RAM alone that the PS3 is capable of producing very good-quality games, even managing to run Crysis 2 (the most performance-demanding video game released so far) at 30 frames per second at a resolution of up to 1080p, meaning little lag whilst maintaining realistic graphics and physics.

Not much else is known about the PS4, other than the fact that the default amount of HD space may be about 300GB, as apposed to the launch PS3's only being 40GB, 60GB and 80GB. Sony had stated that the PlayStation 4 will be able to run software at 1080p(progressive pixels) at 60fps with "no problem".
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 8 - Gold

Although this is a good update, i really just want to know if Ps4 will be able to backward compatible with my ps3 games.

The space and running RAM are important, but i dont really seeing myself buy this when its first released, as it will inevitably get cheaper in the future. I am in no rush to own the "best of the best" at the trade off of overspending my money.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

At this point I care not to speculate the specs of the ps4
    until its actually out to buy

I will wait til a bundle or slim version comes out of it
    im getting so much fun out of my ps3 for years to come
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

RPG Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post

Agreed. What will really sell the PS4 for me is if all my trophies are carried over from my PS3.
    Sig by JK_Blade
    Shemhazat's Trophies

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    Agreed. What will really sell the PS4 for me is if all my trophies are carried over from my PS3.
    They will probably be linked via PSN/SEN accounts.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Buy my book, Alteration

I'm interested in what the PS4 holds, but I probably won't get one until the slim and price drop. Or when PS3 support stops, but that doesn't seem likely anytime soon.

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Lvl 7 - Gold

hope that the trophies will carry on as if not if will be a major problem for sony (as there will not be so much selling of the console), and as yet many games are going to be released for ps3 hope that is backward compatible

PRO Member

If the hardware is going to match that of PC's for 2-3 years (the average life of a gaming rig) just how much will it cost, my current gaming rig (1-2 years old) cost me 900 and a further 300 in small upgrades.

I do doubt it'll match a gaming PC but if it does then why not just buy a gaming PC and hook it up to a TV.

I'm guessing it'll have quite a high launch price and more than likely some flaws with the internal bits and pieces like the original PS3 insides.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post

This is pretty much it for me as well. I will do the same thing that I did with the PS3...wait a few years until most (if not all) the bugs are worked out. Every release console will be riddled with them and I can still get mass amounts of enjoyment out of my PS-triple

Trophies will most likely carry over, but that's whatever at this point.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shemhazat View Post
    Trophies are not attached to your PS3. As long as our PSN accounts will still be available for use and Sony keeps the trophy system, there won't be any issues. In short, I wouldn't worry about it.

Check Those Corners

It does not really matter to me.

My PS3 broke last night and I will get another one, but will only buy exclusives.

Same with PS4: I'll be buying only exclusives and IP's, and the rest on Xbox

Im still getting a PS4, but not until I see some decent sequels and installments to amazing series.

PRO Member

They should make 2 or more different versions of PS4 in regards to performance. Like one with say

2GB RAM
    7200 RPM HDD
    1GB VRAM HD5750 equivalent GPU
    etc.

and then models with better specs like
    4GB RAM
    SSD
    1.5-2GB VRAM HD 7850 equivalent GPU
    etc.

It will allow the more enthusiast gamers to enjoy a better performing console if they are willing to spend some extra cash, and at the same time, the more casual gamers can still enjoy what Playstation has to offer at a more affordable price.

As long as certain things "under the hood" remain the same (i.e. mobo, processor) then the game developers can still be sure that basically as long as their game runs as desired on the weakest PS4 model, it will run properly on the other models, except smoother.

It could potentially improve the marketability of the PS4 over competing consoles if the competition has only one model in terms of performance.

Battlefield 3 offered graphics customization with the option to toggle anti-aliasing. This is an instance where a better spec console would be a bonus.

Personally my number one hope for the PS4 is that they make sure to use their upgraded specs for overhauling the OS and implementing new features. I would like to see native support for in-game custom music, in-game internet browsing, and a better messaging/chat solution. Right now its so inconvenient to send messages. It takes unnecessary effort just to navigate to the message received, and then if you're in a multiplayer game and your cpu is busy and network resources are tied up, there can be a bit of a wait period for the message to be processed, then more navigation to get back to the game and unpause.
    It does the job, don't get me wrong, but it would be really cool if Sony put a huge effort into greatly improving the user experience with features to make socializing more effortless.
    And in regards to the in-game custom music, although it separates the wheat from the chaff to see which developers care enough about user-experience to implement the in-game music option (since the ball is in the devs court to make it happen), at the end of the day Sony shouldn't have passed the buck on that one. So yea, I hope for native support on the next-gens for in-game music
    Steaming pile of helpful tips

Saints Row IV

WOW i mean wow this is an epic machine
    If we can link our PS3 accounts over PS4, i will be very sastified by sony (The same with PS1,PS2,PS3 and PSP)
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    Although this is a good update, i really just want to know if Ps4 will be able to backward compatible with my ps3 games.

The space and running RAM are important, but i dont really seeing myself buy this when its first released, as it will inevitably get cheaper in the future. I am in no rush to own the "best of the best" at the trade off of overspending my money.
    My thoughts EXACTLY. This coupled with the fact that ANY new hardware always needs time to get the bugs and kinks worked out will almost assuredly mean I stay on my PS3 for a minimum of 6 months after the PS4 drops.

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

So many games that I have yet to play this Gen, Im not really worried about the PS at the moment.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I would just like the launch model to not die out in 3 years, thats all...

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by The-Game View Post
    I would just like the launch model to not die out in 3 years, thats all...
    My launch November 2006 60GB model lasted almost 6 years - YLOD'ing in September this year.

The One and Only

Looks like I might wait a good 2-3 years before I get the PS4 since I still have a plethora of PS3 games to catch up on, and let's not forget the Vita.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0