Tomb Raider will have Multiplayer

This is a discussion on Tomb Raider will have Multiplayer within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Tomb Raider gets multiplayer - GameSpot.com Next year's Tomb Raider reboot will not be a single-player-only affair. Crystal Dynamics global ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Tomb Raider will have Multiplayer

Tomb Raider gets multiplayer - GameSpot.com

Next year's Tomb Raider reboot will not be a single-player-only affair. Crystal Dynamics global brand director Karl Stewart recently revealed via Twitter that the game will in fact ship with a multiplayer mode.

This was first speculated when United Kingdom retailer GAME listed multiplayer as a major feature for Tomb Raider. The details have since been removed, but it was suggested that players would be able to control Lara's shipmates or Yamatai scavengers in a variety of modes.
    First details on Tomb Raider's multiplayer mode will be revealed in Official Xbox Magazine's January issue, due to subscribers this week.

Surprise, surprise!

CMN
    PS4 - Christmas 2014

Competitive multiplayer? I would be a fan of that.

Sig and Avatar from one of the Elite, Dare
    WWE Favorite TEN (Active Performers, Updated Every Week) - Bad News Barrett, Bray Wyatt, Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, Bo Dallas, Dolph Ziggler, Daniel Bryan, Sami Zayn, Luke Harper, Cesaro

Currently Playing/Working On: Call of Duty Ghosts (Xbox One/360), NBA 2K14 (Xbox One), Killzone 2 (PS3), Remember Me (PS3), WWE 2K14 (PS3)

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Saw this yesterday, and was going to post in the section - but it didn't exist.

First, to be fair, this is Square Enix - a developer who for all it's criticism hasn't forced multiplayer on any of it's titles yet that didn't want to. Second, Crystal Dynamics did a good job integrating co-op into Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, so it's not as if they don't have some ideas that didn't work out in strong effort before.

Now Square Enix as of so far has avoided the online pass (they considered it for Hitman: Absolution, but ultimately decided against it) so it's likely not going to cost anything.

With all that being said - I don't like it personally, but will reserve judgment until more information comes out. The one negative thing about Square Enix as of so far is that when they do go competitive, they have had really bad server support, and the multiplayer has suffered accordingly. I would much rather they put as much polish on the game as possible, and expand as much as possible upon the singleplayer levels, controls, and puzzles to make them epic and make me forget how Nathan Drake has showed up Lara in how to do the genre.

Could be good, could be bad, if it isn't for an online pass, or for the sake of selling stupid level, skins, and gun pack DLC, I am okay with it. But if this turns into another CoD-esque attempt to try and cater to casuals, Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics should realize that that the majority of Tomb Raider fans would prefer more of staring at Lara's assets, than doing twitch competitive elements.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Angel of Death

Just no MP trophies please...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Well i hope there are no MP trophies, as i was looking forward to this being an awesome SP origins reboot, but now they say oh yea ALSO with MP....*sigh* All TRs have been SP with the exception of GOL which is indeed a very fun sp or mp game, BUT its a different game than the newer gen TRs with the unique camera, smaller environments, so with GOL, MP worked & it was co-op not comp, even tho this link doesnt indicate co-op or comp. We'll have too wait & see, but this just changed from a must buy of 2013 to 'yea, ill probably still get it.' for me. I have enjoyed every TR game for what they are, a fun SP game, no questions asked there, Tomb Raider doesnt need MP , especially one where they are going for yet another reboot,and an origins story at that. Reread the thread & at top says will feature a head to head mode which i guess means comp more than likely, even tho the article doesnt directly say that,... so,... another SP game gone MP. maybe it might be fun , but it doesnt need it, & im sure is taking away from how good SP could be

Lvl 10 - Platinum

hopefully its not just tacked on like dead space 2 and is actually integrated well, but i wont hold my breath

Perfecting since 1996

If it is like Uncharted's multiplayer, they could actually make it pretty cool

Sig by Bladia

The only sane person here

yesh, this is starting to become a new trend to this gen I swear.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Hmm, multiplayer in a Tomb Raider game?

The co-op element worked well in GOL, but I'm not sure how well it will work in a 'traditional' TR game. I'd expect to have heard about some sort of co-op aspect rather than a competitive one, but it would probably be unfairly compared to Uncharted's co-op campaigns. I'm not averse to the inclusion of MP trophies, provided that we're not required to spend dozens of hours grinding to max level, or killing thousands of enemies, or anything like that. That's what I like about games like Uncharted 2/3, ACIII and Transformers: DOTM - they just invite you to dip your toes in the MP, and give you just a few easy trophies to earn while you're at it.

Anyway, I'm definitely looking forward to Tomb Raider, and this new MP should be interesting at least. Hopefully it'll feel like a polished experience and not a rush-job. I may not buy it on launch day due to my somewhat extensive backlog, but I absolutely will buy it sometime next year.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Well I think that sucks. I hate multiplayer being forced on everything.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 8 - Gold

if its multiplayer: player vs player

WHY would they do that?

If its multiplayer co op mode

That could be fun. I rather play games i can play with my friends. Especially these types of adventures you fight zombies, mythical statues, etc.

Grandmasterpiece

I could see an addictive co-op mode being implemented, but I can't get my head around a competitive game.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I was looking forward to this game and after reading this, I still am. Of course details are a little scarce atm but I'll wait and see, the same with GoW: Ascension.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    Especially these types of adventures you fight zombies, mythical statues, etc.
    Please, no zombies. Zombies have been done to death the last few years.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by StewartBros View Post
    Please, no zombies. Zombies have been done to death the last few years.
    Oh sorry let me clarify.

I hate zombies. But if i have to play a game with em, i rather it be co op.

Same with the uncharted series. The game is great till they introduce something super natural. Then i cannot play it without the light on or someone else in the room.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I would rather Tomb Raider stay single player.