Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Do you think boosting is cheating

This is a discussion on Do you think boosting is cheating within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by Denaratuck You mention that people who boost don't meet the requirement with skill but yet you provide ...

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    You mention that people who boost don't meet the requirement with skill but yet you provide two examples that have nothing to do with skill. The word you should've used in those examples is dedication. Anybody can get 10,000 kills in Resistance 2 or reach the max level online in any game with online play. You don't need to have a 50-0 Kill/death ratio to achieve this. You just need to have the time and dedication.

A lot of online trophies have ridiculous requirements so I feel that boosting is a valid method of earning them. If developers continue to use trophies/achievements as a cheap way to keep people playing their games, boosting will exist.
    I used the wrong word sorry
    I meant Detication
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I come from a time when you used the Konami code to play most games which in a way would be considered cheating. Boosting to me isn't cheating, just a way to make things easier. If its a dead multiplayer game, boosting is fine or if its a trophy like... kill 5 online people in under 2 seconds, then its fine as well. Mostly it depends on peoples preference. If you think its ok to do then thats ok, I'm pretty sure you'll find someone you ask the same question with the same trophy that will say thats wrong, that is their opinion as well. My personal opinion is as long as someone enjoys a game then its not cheating, when a game feels more like "work", then either boost it or put the game away for a while (which I've done numerous times which is why I have so many unfinished games).
    Haven't updated anything on here since the site went down a year ago with the new servers so lost all my friends and post counts and everything looking to help and get help with games and trophies

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/tr...checklist.html My Trophy checklist

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by jcopp72 View Post
    I dont think they should have online trophies, so no I dont think boosting is cheating. Any online trophy thet depends on other players actions should not be a trophy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Denaratuck View Post
    A lot of online trophies have ridiculous requirements so I feel that boosting is a valid method of earning them. If developers continue to use trophies/achievements as a cheap way to keep people playing their games, boosting will exist.
    This pretty much sums up my opinion of boosting and MP trophies in general.

Deathless Destroyer

Depends on what you are "boosting", but generally boosting is simply doing something legit (in this context, within the game code) in a quicker time than it would normally take, which is not cheating. The only thing I disapprove of is hacking the game code and exploiting glitches.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

Disclaimer: These are my own opinions and I certainly try not to judge others for how they choose to play games. I don't go into peoples trophy list and break down time attained and pass judgement and think less of a person for playing however they want to. If someone were to blatantly flaunt it in front of me and tell me over and over again how great they were, then I may start judging, but otherwise to each their own.

Boosting does feel like cheating to me. Yes there are ridiculously long trophies out there in mp and yes it will be a super long grind. I take vast amounts of self pride in a trophy that I spent a lot of time earning that way though too. I personally feel that if it's possible to get on my own, that is the route I would like to take.

However, there are some trophies out there that such as Auf Wiederson that my own standards tell me it's not possible. It's glitchy...people drop out and your screwed on it...too many variables that make it impossible to me. I did what I felt I could on my own and boosted the other parts of the trophy requirement. I hear Abstergo is unattainable without boosting. When I get to it, I will try many, many, many times to do it without boosting and if it finally proves too much for me, then I may concede and boost. Boosting is certainly a grey area that I have to assess and decide whether it compromises my personal pride in a trophy.

As for dead games out there, I tend to buy games after they have dropped in value, so most of mine are dead and the player base has long since moved on. I wish I could just get a group together to go through the game playing the game as it was designed to be played. I will keep trying, but it also seems that most groups lean toward boosting and I tend to get kicked out a lot, fortunately most of the time before it starts so at least I don't waste time that way. It's ok though. I'll keep trying.

The question was asked. I've given my answer. Just my two cents. Ultimately, we all need to play the game however it makes us happy, and choose our own paths through our own values. Just have fun with it.

Dull Ember

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/general-chit-chat/16672-my-trophy-campaign.html

Hey Braveheartdc
    How did this go for you?
    What a joke a hacker complaining about boosters.

Rangers F.C

How would you know if you earned all the trophies legit without them popping ?
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I don't really care what is considered cheating anymore. I think "cheating" the industry out of new game sales, or people who are gamefly junkies have a much worse impact on the industry than what people do to get a trophy. I used to get worked up about the whole cheating debacle, but after seeing so many studios and developers disappear because of moral crusaders inability to reward a developer for bringing you enjoyment because you're a cheap douchebag, or a person who thinks that your trophy count somehow equates to how "hardcore" of a gamer you are, I don't give a shit if you hack 300 platinum trophies, as long as you bought those games.

If you give a shit about the games, don't sit there and focus so heavily on the whole trophy side of things, and focus more on the business side of things, and do everything you can to make sure that the games you love keep coming. I can't remember the last time I have been assed to force myself to grind a multiplayer trophy to be surrounded by people who are overly competitive, or downright intolerable in the amount of idiocy they poor out of their mouths (not caring in the slightest that you might offend someone, disrupt someone else's experience, or take the fun of the whole damn thing).

So if you want to discuss something that really matters and affects everybody in the gaming community - look at the economic issues that are crippling the industry, and less and the people who are taking meaningless leader board spots from you by taking a shortcut on something that they have dropped money into.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Needz Trophy Card

i love how we've had this discussion for 4 years and none of you retards of came up with a consensus OR any better arguments. move on to a better thread my ding bats
    videogameman-If i was going to fuck my son, I'd kiss him first.
    Compalicious-in all fairness bodi, it is a bit on the big side
    bodigard-^^^that's what she said!

Angel of Death

It depends on the tpw o boosting. MW2 had a lot of people in the online boosting to rank up, which is cheating in my opinion, but if it's something like getting to a certain amount of kills, I don't think it's cheating. It's saving time on a trophy that is stupid and should not have been implemented in the first place.

Up the Irons!

No, I don't consider boosting a form of cheating. As to why, well the reasons have already been mentioned multiple times (time, dead multiplayer, et cetera).

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Legalize it...

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    IMO cheating is a part of gaming , I am old school and before trophies and stuff you looked at in game cheats , so now times have changed as far as on-line gaming and you now have boosting and hacking , if you wanna do it , do it . Hacking does not make sense to me but it does not bother me in any way and boosting makes sense to me and does not bother me either . I think people are missing the point of gaming these days , its about your own personal entertainment and that means do what ever entertains you whether its legit 100% , hacking , boosting , not giving a shit about trophies and so on . People need to stop thinking they are better than people over a stupid collection of platinums however you obtained them .
    Exactly...

Lvl 8 - Gold

I got chewed out for this topic earlier, so i will reserve my comments. But let me quote some people from the other thread
    http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/si...-trophies.html

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    Just to let you know, like what the others have been saying, boosting is not cheating, it's basically someone helping you get a trophy that you cannot get by yourself anyway. You can't get most online trophies without a second person online at the very least anyway, so you might as well help each other out by using a quicker method to get trophies that you and your boosting partner(s) are going for. So don't think of it as taking a cheating route when you do it, don't be ashamed of doing it, and even if you aren't, just know that you didn't hack, use a game save, or had someone get the trophy for you by sharing an account. You're still on your PS3, using your controller, and getting whatever trophy you need in a quicker, but possibly more boring way. Let's not forget about games with online trophies with almost no people playing it, I know quite a few games like that and I know there's plenty more like that too, especially older games or games who's multiplayer didn't last long. It may be almost impossible to get in a match if there's no one to play with, so a boosting partner is the only legitimate answer.

This isn't a attack against you or anybody, I just want to let you know that you're not cheating, but if you feel uncomfortable boosting at any time, think to yourself, "do I want to boost with some friends to help us get the trophy faster, or do I want to grind this tedious trophy on my own with no one's intentional help?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    Boosting is not cheating.. boosting is to save time, make something a little easier or even just to co-op with friends.
    Not to mention that boosting takes time, finding other people and getting them all on at the same time can be a pain in the ass.. so it's not as easy as it sounds. Also I only boost games that are dead, does that make me a cheat?

I don't understand how people can say boosting is cheating, you make it sound like it takes no effort at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeldeLeo View Post
    Ill second that LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    And I'll third it. Boosting is definitely not cheating. There have been trophies where there is no other way to obtain them. Until they nix these types of trophies altogether, I'll continue to boost. I also particularly boost for games that are quite dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by omnislash View Post
    I'll 4th this, since so many games do have online, not everyone of them is full of people. A lot of them are dead with only the most popular games or the recent versions of them where many people are playing them and besides it's just taking advantage of the game itself and not using an outside source to get those trophies. Usually I do like to earn my online trophies but sometimes because of how dead the online is or even for a trophy like Bling Brigade which is impossible to get legit as just finding 8 players alone is hard enough but they all have to be campaign skins. Besides in some online multiplayer people cheat just to win anyway by lag switching or even just some type of outside cheat where you can't kill them so overall boosting is not cheating.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Boosting is not cheating because you're not asking someone to play the game for you. Cheating is hacking the game for no reason.

Lvl 6 - Silver

i don't think its cheating cos online trophies are bullshit, no matter how good you are at a game you are not good enough to beat anyone in the world.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

For Trophies? nah it's not cheating because it means very little. Don't really dabble in it myself but can't fault people who want to do it.

For competition? that's cheating, screwing over your mates in a local MP game is fine and dandy, it's fun, part of the fabric of gaming. You take that to an International forum then you are out of the funzone, you don't know all those people, they have differing ideas on what's fair but most would agree there is no point competing for honours if a minority are not playing by the code of conduct and constantly benefiting from it.

I watched my young brother cheat his way through Call Of Duty on PC with his clan, it was disgusting to me because not only did they cheat but had the audacity to accuse others of cheating, even getting others banned as a result whilst they autoaimed and wallclipped the fuck out of games. Sure it's far worse than boosting but both miss the point of playing games. You want to be great because you earned it, boosting to level 50 when you are barely worth a 10 is not showing anything other than a massively falsified stat list.

Don't even get me started on Rage Quitters though, they are an evil that existed waaay before any of that crap started.

Lvl 9 - Gold

boosting is not cheating, its looking out for your fellow gamers. if they need help with a beast of a trophy, and you step up and help them get it, thats pure selflessness and caring.

AND NO I'M NOT CRYING! (lolziez)

Ice Cream Firefighter

Depends on the boosting. ATM i'm looking for someone to boost the NFS Most Wanted trophies because I have to smash their face & beat their jump through a billboard & beat them in a MP race but I also posted that i'm not looking for someone to lie down & let me win. I want the challenge & I wont lie down & let them beat me either, i'm there to win everytime & if I lose oh well congrats to them.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 7 - Gold

In most cases, yes. There are a few times when boosting is okay in my book : a game doesn't have enough online players to earn the trophy naturally, or if you're finding partners who play regularly and just play real games with them. Otherwise, I think it's kind of lame. Why would you want something you didn't earn it?

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elpoko View Post
    Hey Braveheartdc
    How did this go for you?
    What a joke a hacker complaining about boosters.
    I like how this guy makes a thread saying boosting is cheating but has hacked plats... I'm not even going to look at what games he has cheated on but thanks for the link, it made me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    I got chewed out for this topic earlier, so i will reserve my comments. But let me quote some people from the other thread
    Stop beng a dumbass... you'll reserve your comments but you post anyway

There really is nothing more to say after seeing this

Toggle Spoiler

Sig by Smashguy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast