Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Time for a new WWII shooter

This is a discussion on Time for a new WWII shooter within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Yes, roll your eyes if you haven't already. Make your snide comments "ugh, like there aren't enough?". Now read. No, ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Time for a new WWII shooter

Yes, roll your eyes if you haven't already. Make your snide comments "ugh, like there aren't enough?". Now read.
    No, there aren't enough. Not anymore. Not on the current generation of consoles. Off the top of my head, all I can think of is World at War and Battlefield 1943 (or whatever year it is). Two. Two WWII shooters off the top of my head compared to the multitude of current/futuristic conflict shooters. So, what isn't there enough of?

I'm a huge WWII fan. Love it. I played the hell out of Call of Duty 1-3 on PS2, and they were damn good shooters. Great story telling, great action, emotional attachments to squad-mates, the whole 9 yards. What's wrong with the shooters now? Hardly any of them have great replay value. The only time they're played more than once is so a few trophies can be obtained, not because the want to relive it is there.
    I like WWII games because they have meaning to them. The battles and victories shaped the world as it is now. And I want them to come back, because they're fun as hell.

I'm getting a little bored with all these war shooters that take place in the here and near future. It's basically all the same. Some soviet nation always has its feelings hurt and wants to take it out on America and the rest of the world so you have to stop them before it's too late (which it never is).
    Sure, WWII is old. But there's so much of those 6 years that we haven't seen in a game yet, and I want to see what we haven't yet be put into a game. I want to see both theaters, Pacific and European. I want to play as more than just America, there's was a little over 2 years of the war that they had no part in. Let's play as some of the other allied powers. Hell, mix it up and maybe do some missions from the axis point of view. Cover all angles. Make it in-depth, make the campaign the biggest ever. I don't know about you all, but I'm getting tired of all the 10-12 mission campaigns. I don't care about how long it takes to complete, I don't play for speed, I play for entertainment. And lately, I haven't gotten much of that.
    I want it to cover everything from the German invasion of Poland to the final atomic bomb being dropped on August 9, 1945. And a beautiful ending with the surrender of the Empire of Japan aboard the USS Missouri. The tactics, the fights, the losses, the wins. I want it all.

Is this too much to ask? Probably. But I want it.

Any thoughts?
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I actually agree with you. I tired of COD and the hacking. I'd like a new developer with a new concept on WWII. Everything you mention sounds great. I would like to play as the other side and see if I could defeat the great American military, then double cross and assassinate Hitler of course. Sign me up.

PRO Member

I agree, I enjoyed every PSOne-PS2 Medal of Honor and the only shooter I've bought this generation is the HD Version of Medal of Honor Frontline.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirstEvil28 View Post
    I actually agree with you. I tired of COD and the hacking. I'd like a new developer with a new concept on WWII. Everything you mention sounds great. I would like to play as the other side and see if I could defeat the great American military, then double cross and assassinate Hitler of course. Sign me up.
    Awesome to see the first comment agree with me.
    And YES, the hacking. Fix that. Make it so that as soon as they hack, they get booted and blocked from the multiplayer menu. That shit is old.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" -Epicurus.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by Synyster_Death View Post
    Yes, roll your eyes if you haven't already. Make your snide comments "ugh, like there aren't enough?". Now read.
    No, there aren't enough. Not anymore. Not on the current generation of consoles. Off the top of my head, all I can think of is World at War and Battlefield 1943 (or whatever year it is). Two. Two WWII shooters off the top of my head compared to the multitude of current/futuristic conflict shooters. So, what isn't there enough of?

I'm a huge WWII fan. Love it. I played the hell out of Call of Duty 1-3 on PS2, and they were damn good shooters. Great story telling, great action, emotional attachments to squad-mates, the whole 9 yards. What's wrong with the shooters now? Hardly any of them have great replay value. The only time they're played more than once is so a few trophies can be obtained, not because the want to relive it is there.
    I like WWII games because they have meaning to them. The battles and victories shaped the world as it is now. And I want them to come back, because they're fun as hell.

I'm getting a little bored with all these war shooters that take place in the here and near future. It's basically all the same. Some soviet nation always has its feelings hurt and wants to take it out on America and the rest of the world so you have to stop them before it's too late (which it never is).
    Sure, WWII is old. But there's so much of those 6 years that we haven't seen in a game yet, and I want to see what we haven't yet be put into a game. I want to see both theaters, Pacific and European. I want to play as more than just America, there's was a little over 2 years of the war that they had no part in. Let's play as some of the other allied powers. Hell, mix it up and maybe do some missions from the axis point of view. Cover all angles. Make it in-depth, make the campaign the biggest ever. I don't know about you all, but I'm getting tired of all the 10-12 mission campaigns. I don't care about how long it takes to complete, I don't play for speed, I play for entertainment. And lately, I haven't gotten much of that.
    I want it to cover everything from the German invasion of Poland to the final atomic bomb being dropped on August 9, 1945. And a beautiful ending with the surrender of the Empire of Japan aboard the USS Missouri. The tactics, the fights, the losses, the wins. I want it all.

Is this too much to ask? Probably. But I want it.

Any thoughts?
    All this, and the ability to choose whanever country you would like to support,even if it lost on WWII
    I love you're idea!
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by brAvEhEaRtDC View Post
    All this, and the ability to choose whanever country you would like to support,even if it lost on WWII
    I love you're idea!
    Ooh..sexy. It just keeps getting better.

PRO Member

This is an awesome idea. The WWII games also always made me feel like I was screwed due to it being old time weapons. I couldn't see through a wall, I couldnt grab a giant robot and fight may past enemies...just me and my weapon (and my horrible aim).

Sadly, I feel that it may be awhile, if ever, before we see another WWII game. With the younger generation (not everyone so don't jump me) wanting to feel like they are tough and needing every bit of help they can get, they will clamor for more of the modern/future type games.

To expand on your idea though, why have we never touched WWI, Vietnam (other than BO somewhat) or Korea or anything else? I guess it would be nice to have something different as well.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    This is an awesome idea. The WWII games also always made me feel like I was screwed due to it being old time weapons. I couldn't see through a wall, I couldnt grab a giant robot and fight may past enemies...just me and my weapon (and my horrible aim).

Sadly, I feel that it may be awhile, if ever, before we see another WWII game. With the younger generation (not everyone so don't jump me) wanting to feel like they are tough and needing every bit of help they can get, they will clamor for more of the modern/future type games.

To expand on your idea though, why have we never touched WWI, Vietnam (other than BO somewhat) or Korea or anything else? I guess it would be nice to have something different as well.
    I agree that it's going to be a while. A long while. And I see your point. But at least (as ironic as it sounds) the WWII games had some educational value to them if you had the right mindset. MoH and CoD got me started on WWII and becoming so obsessed with. I don't think the younger generation should even influence it considering the games are going to most definitely be rated M these days.

And good point about WWI. I guess considering that most of that war was fought in trenches, it could get pretty repetitive and pretty fast. But still something to think about.
    Vietnam? America received enough bad rep from that war being televised, I doubt they'd want to remind people of what truly went on there.
    Korea? Pointless. There was no sense being there and it was just a tug-of-war battle over the 38th parallel.
    While I can see both Vietnam and Korea being played from the point of view of the respective armies, I don't see it ever really happening, sadly.

And then there's the Gulf war, but that's another story for another day.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

You are in luck Synyster there is a WW2 game coming up its called 'Enemy Front'. Not sure if the story fits me in my opinion. Lets hope its a Good Game

City Interactive

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRg4mTo5Ff8

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by web1017 View Post
    You are in luck Synyster there is a WW2 game coming up its called 'Enemy Front'. Not sure if the story fits me in my opinion. Lets hope its a Good Game

City Interactive

Gameplay: Enemy Front - Gameplay - YouTube
    ...EPIC.
    While it makes no mention of the Pacific theater, it's still something and can still be added later perhaps.
    Even better, it makes no mention of multiplayer, which tells me the focus will finally be on the campaign for once.

PRO Member

I agree that it's going to be a while. A long while. And I see your point. But at least (as ironic as it sounds) the WWII games had some educational value to them if you had the right mindset. MoH and CoD got me started on WWII and becoming so obsessed with. I don't think the younger generation should even influence it considering the games are going to most definitely be rated M these days.

And good point about WWI. I guess considering that most of that war was fought in trenches, it could get pretty repetitive and pretty fast. But still something to think about.
    Vietnam? America received enough bad rep from that war being televised, I doubt they'd want to remind people of what truly went on there.
    Korea? Pointless. There was no sense being there and it was just a tug-of-war battle over the 38th parallel.
    While I can see both Vietnam and Korea being played from the point of view of the respective armies, I don't see it ever really happening, sadly.

And then there's the Gulf war, but that's another story for another day.
    I can see your point about the bad publicity concerning Vietnam. However, today's war gets a bad rep and they have no problem selling MoH.
    WWI could get repetitive but they could do something along the lines of the biggest battles on there. Change it from just a "here is a semi-generic campaign and actually let us take control of the armies in those fights that turned the tide of the war

Another idea, and something not thought of, why not have a game where you play as an actual Medal of Honor winner. For me personally, that would be something I would be completely into. Your back is against the wall and you go out and do something that people talk about forever.

I think there is alot of history, not just American, that could be turned into a video game. All in all, just wish something new would come up for war games. I would do civil war, the revolutionary, back in the day of Spain vs France vs England. Romans demolishing everything. Anything new would be great.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    I can see your point about the bad publicity concerning Vietnam. However, today's war gets a bad rep and they have no problem selling MoH.
    WWI could get repetitive but they could do something along the lines of the biggest battles on there. Change it from just a "here is a semi-generic campaign and actually let us take control of the armies in those fights that turned the tide of the war

Another idea, and something not thought of, why not have a game where you play as an actual Medal of Honor winner. For me personally, that would be something I would be completely into. Your back is against the wall and you go out and do something that people talk about forever.

I think there is alot of history, not just American, that could be turned into a video game. All in all, just wish something new would come up for war games. I would do civil war, the revolutionary, back in the day of Spain vs France vs England. Romans demolishing everything. Anything new would be great.
    Valid points. Let's do it.

Angel of Death

I wouldn't mind one, but I always wanted to see a WWI game.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

...EPIC.
    While it makes no mention of the Pacific theater, it's still something and can still be added later perhaps.
    Even better, it makes no mention of multiplayer, which tells me the focus will finally be on the campaign for once.
    Its to early that's why they still working on the game they wont show more until the right time. Check for updates time to time see if they release anything new about the game and see if you like it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah, I prefer playing war games of wars that actually happened rather then made up ones, especially about WWII and the Vietnam War.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Seriously, it just seems like things become a lot more believable.
    And I seriously can't stress enough how attached I felt to the characters in the first Call of Duty games. I forget which one it was, I wanna say it was Call of Duty 2, but when Brooklyn got blown up by a mortar, I was sooooo upset that he made it to the final mission only to be killed off.
    I hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

What sucks about these new WW2 games is that they never put the German swastika flag. They put iron cross instead the only games that had it is COD.

Lvl 8 - Gold

I agree. I'd really like a good WWII shooter, like MOH Frontline. it's been a while since I played a game like that.

Lvl 7 - Gold

The modern war games are getting overdone and played out to me, but as long as the sheep don't stray from the flock, why switch things up if you're the developers? For a return to a WWII era, I'd like to see something in the Mediterranean/African/Mid East theater.

For this gen, a great WWII game was History Channel's Battle for the Pacific. There are no trophies, but it's very well done. Don't forget COD Classic available in the PSN store.

Speaking of History, they did a fantastic job with their two American Civil War games, and I'd love to see them make a new one. Again, no trophies, but great game. It's been a while since History put out a good disc game. They're due for one.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 9 - Gold

I agree with you. The last WWII game I played was Call of Duty classic Have you ever played Brothers in Arms? That was a game I quite enjoyed. It's a bit old but it is this gen.
    | Signature and avatar by dsluckay| Platbar by Wadefan1 |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast