DETfaninATL's Platinum Reviews

This is a discussion on DETfaninATL's Platinum Reviews within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; What is DETfaninATL’s Platinum Reviews you may ask? Well, let me tell you. Those of us into videogames, are quite ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

DETfaninATL's Platinum Reviews

What is DETfaninATL’s Platinum Reviews you may ask? Well, let me tell you. Those of us into videogames, are quite often used to seeing reviews about the games we play and we often read them to get an idea of what we can expect if we decide to play the game ourselves. But there are also those of us who are into the trophy (PS3) / achievement (Xbox) system when it comes to videogames and hunt or whore those without end. Thus there are a few sites on the web dedicated to PS3 trophies and Xbox achievements. Mostly, these sites deal with the trophies themselves and everything that surrounds them, not the least of which are trophy guides that tell you step by step how to get each and every trophy in a game. But what we videogamers aren’t used to seeing is a review about the actual experience of obtaining the platinum trophy / 100% completion in a videogame. While I have seen sections of game reviews that speak to this facet of videogaming, it’s my intent to provide a much more detailed and in-depth review of this experience. Thus, I bring you:

DETfaninATL’s Platinum Reviews!

ABOUT THE REVIEWER: I’ve been playing videogames actively since December of 2009 and I play them on a daily basis for hours at a time. I’ve platinumed some extremely difficult games (Vanquish, Aliens vs. Predator, Dead Space 2, etc.) and some extremely easy ones (Dante’s Inferno, Cars Race-O-Rama, JURASSIC: The Hunted, etc.) and everything in between. That, combined with the fact I platinum everything I play, and that I have over 50 plats does tend to give me some decent insight on what’s an easy plat and what’s not. For whatever it’s worth….

ABOUT THE REVIEWS: As opposed to reviewing the game itself, these reviews are meant to give the reader an idea of what to expect if they decide to go for the Platinum trophy / full completion of Achievements. I may insert a few thoughts about the game in general here and there, but again, these reviews are dedicated to achieving the platinum trophy (PS3) / full Achiement (Xbox). The reviews assume a ‘perfect world’ so-to-speak. In other words, if a game being reviewed has an online / co-op component to it, the review assumes the servers are still active and people are playing the game. The reviews do not take into account the difficulty involved if the servers are shut down or if people aren’t playing the game online as much anymore, or at all (unless otherwise noted). All times to plat are about how long it took me to plat the game. I’ll also single out specific trophies from time to time and offer tips, info or strategies on them but by and large, this isn’t a trophy guide, so don’t necessarily be looking for that type of info here – that’s what trophy guides are for. Please feel free to leave comments / suggestions / requests for reviews (based on my trophy collection, of course) / etc. if you like.

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

Considering the popularity of the CALL OF DUTY series and that there's a pretty new one on the market, let's start with that:

CALL OF DUTY : Black Ops II
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 6.5
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘Giant Accomplishment’ – Complete all challenges in Black Ops II.
    Honorable mention(s): ‘Tower Of Babble’ – In Tranzit, obey the voices
    Easiest Trophy: Quite a few, but ‘Just Gettin’ Started’ – Complete 1 challenge in any level and ‘Welcome To The Club’ – Reach Sergeant (level 10) in multiplayer Public Match come to mind
    Approximate Time to platinum: 50-80 hrs. depending on skill & luck doing the challenges in the missions and reaching Prestige in MP
    Online / Co-op play required to platinum?: Yes
    Collectibles Trophies?: Yes
    Difficulty Trophies?: Yes

ABOUT THE GAME: CALL OF DUTY : Black Ops II is the latest installment of the massively popular, yearly-released military FPS series CALL OF DUTY. This game serves as a sequel to CALL OF DUTY : Black Ops which was released in 2010. While many of the typical COD trappings are present, there are a few new modifications to the overall game and formula this time around such as challenges being added to the missions, strike force missions which are completed in a combination of standard view and ‘tactical’ view, zombies is now a sort of campaign that allows for movement around a large map instead of being confined to a decent sized building with multiple rooms and let’s not forget the changes to the MP component of the game, the most significant of which is the pick-10 loadout system. In this reviewer’s opinion, all of these are improvements. But we’re not here to review the game itself, we’re here to review the process of getting that shiny digital plat we all know and love, so…….

THE PLATINUM REVIEW: The trophies for COD : BO2 break down into 4 basic categories; Campaign, MP, Zombies and Challenges. None of the trophies are overly hard, even the ones for completing the game on Veteran dificulty (though a few are somewhat challenging) but the path to platinum for this game is pretty time consuming none the less.

Let’s start with the MP category since that’s why a majority of people buy the COD games. In this category, there are only 5 trophies. 2 of them are simply for leveling up (one to get to level 10 and one to Prestige once) while the other 3 are for winning certain types of matches. Don’t be alarmed though when you see that you have to ‘win’ a certain type of match – it just means you have to place in the top 3 of whatever match is required to play. This is actually a lot easier than you think once you’re familiar with the maps and have a loadout you’re comfortable & proficient with. Plus, 2 of the 3 trophies ( ‘Trained Up’ & ‘Big Leagues’ ) are team based trophies so your odds of getting a ‘win’ is greatly improved here if you have to rely on the skills of others since yours are just average or straight up suck. There’s really only 2 trophies in this category that are worth a tip or two:

‘Welcome To The Penthouse’ – Prestige once in multiplayer public match : This is actually quite simple. Just play the game online and grind it out. You get XP for just about everything you do online so just play, be aggressive and you’ll rack up XP pretty steadily. If you catch wind that Treyarch is going to do a double XP weekend – jump at it and maximize your playing during this time. Just for a frame of reference, that’s what I did and it took me 2 days of playing to reach Prestige. EASY. Without double XP? A good bit longer, but no more difficult.

‘Party Animal’ – Win 10 multiplayer games while playing in Party Games playlists : For this trophy you’re on your own – there are no teams you’ll be playing on so you’ll have to do your best and hope for the best. All of the game modes are fun and fairly short matches, but easily the best type of match to do this on is ‘One In The Chamber’. If you’re unfamiliar, the concept is simple : you get one bullet in your gun. Every kill nets you another bullet and every time you get killed you’re eliminated from the contest. So, the object is basically to stay alive as long as possible. Even if you aren’t the last person standing though, you can still win based on how many points you rack up. So, the strategy here is simple : kill a few people and then HIDE! Simply keep an eye on your radar and stay away from others as you’ll get points for surviving someone else’s elimination. Sooner or later though you’ll have to duke it out with the final player or two, but by that time you should likely be in the top three. You can keep an eye on your standings at any time during the match by hitting the ‘Select’ button.

For the next group of trophies, let’s look at the Zombies trophies. Here, there are 10 trophies to get. Of them only one is quite a challenge (‘Tower Of Babble’) and 2 others can be a little annoying (‘Don’t Fire Until You See’ & ‘Standard Equipment May Vary’). The rest are pretty easy and only require some familiarity with the multiple areas of the overall map and the basic mechanics involved with finding and building items. Otherwise just practice and go after one trophy at a time, per session. It’s best that way in order to stay focused on your objective as once you get into the later rounds, things get hectic enough without the added pressure of remembering multiple things for multiple trophies. So, play it cool, find a guide or some sort of assistance on the Web and you’ll be popping the zombie trophies at a fairly steady pace. There are 2 trophies out of the ten Zombie trophies that require you to play online. One requires just one other player (‘Dance On My Grave’) while another (‘Tower Of Babble’) requires 3 others and some serious teamwork. So let’s take a look at that one.

‘Tower Of Babble’ – In Transit, obey the voices : There are actually 2 ways to complete this trophy. One is longer (Richtofen) and far more convoluted than the other (Maxis) but both are fairly complex and both require 4 people who are working in tight concert with each other to accomplish the goal. I’m not going to go into either method as it’s just too lengthy. Your best bet is to do the proper research on the Web and look at some YouTube videos. Even then, it’s still going to take some practice. So, be patient with this one. Oh, and here’s another wrinkle for this one as if it wasn’t a pain enough : according to my best understanding at the time of this writing, NONE of the players in the party can already have the trophy or it will cause ‘the voices’ to be too low to be heard and prevent the trophy from unlocking for anyone. At least, that’s what I’ve heard and a few people I’ve played with have said as much as well. Take it with a grain of salt, but be forewarned none the less.

Now for the Campaign trophies. Nothing too difficult or out of the ordinary here. This is also where the vast majority of the trophies are. Most will come simply by playing through the story and completing the story on Veteran. Some will come from doing or not doing certain actions. It is because of these trophies that you will need to ‘rewind’ the story to certain points and choose different actions in order to unlock certain other trophies. Again, none of these are difficult at all. Just do the research and know what trophies you need to do and what actions to take in what missions, because some trophies require a specific action be done (or not done) in one mission but they don’t unlock until you get another few missions down the storyline. Honestly, most of these different story paths take place between chapters 6-9, so it’s not like you have to replay the entire game if you don’t want to. It should be noted here that because of how the game is set up, it is STRONGLY recommended that after you start your initial playthrough, you do NOT start another new playthrough until, at the bare minimum, you’ve completed the Giant Accomplishment trophy. Reason being is that starting a new playthrough after you’ve already begun one, will wipe out your entire career record, accomplishments, weapon unlocks and all.

Having said that, here’s a few tips I found about Veteran on this particular game that’s worth noting:

* It’s worth saving this playthrough for the very last thing you do in the Campaign portion of the game, because by the time you’re done with the Giant Accomplishment trophy, you’ll have played each level so many times, you’ll know what’s coming, where it’s coming from and when. By heart. Sickeningly so. More on that in a minute….

* Since you can only lower the difficulty level when ‘rewinding’ the story, unless you started on Veteran, you can’t raise it to that level so you’ll need to do the chapters in Veteran via mission select.

* If you save your Veteran playthrough for after you’ve played through the game once, ALL weapons, perks, grenades, etc. will be unlocked and you can customize your loadout to take full advantage of this. Personally, I found it quite helpful to march through every level armed with an assault rifle with a good sight, fast mag attachment, underbarrel grenade launcher and something to the effect of a death machine, drum-loaded grenade launcher, rocket launcher, Storm PSR, or some equivalent weapon to tip the odds in my favor and make sure they stayed there.

* Maybe it’s for reasons #1 & 3 above but I found this to be one of, if not, the easiest Veteran Call Of Duty playthroughs yet.

Now that we’ve covered almost the entire game, let’s get to the final set of trophies – the accomplishments. There are 3 in this set - one for completing a single challenge, one for completing all challenges in a mission and one for completing all challenges in Black Ops II. The single challenge trophy you’ll likely acquire without even trying and probably in the first mission or two. The one for all challenges in a mission will require a little effort and a few playthroughs of whatever mission you’re trying to do this on but it’s not very difficult at all. It’s the Giant Accomplishment trophy is the one that’s a bit of a pain in the ass and there’re a few reasons for that. One is that there are 160 total challenges you must complete. They all range from kill X number of enemies with weapon Y, to completing each mission without dying and everything in between, but there’s still 160 of them (10 for each mission & strike force mission) so this is actually like 160 trophies wrapped up in one. And some of them are fairly challenging. What makes this worse, is that the majority of cut scenes are un-skippable and typically bookended by long sections of boring activity like walking somewhere. Sloooowly. Or talking to someone. This is best highlighted by the fact that one of the game’s most difficult challenges is at the start of a stage where there’s a full 5 minutes of this sort of activity before you even get to the challenge itself. You fail it (which is pretty likely), you get to start over. Worse yet, there’s no checkpoint restart in Black Ops II. So if you mess something up you have to hope you can kill yourself to restart from the checkpoint, because if not, you have to start from the beginning of the level. As a sidenote, it’s things like the un-skippable cut scenes and the lack of checkpoint restart that took my enjoyment of this game down a notch. Overall I thought it was one of the best COD’s to date, but those 2 things were a complete and total pain for a trophy hunter like myself. Anyhow….

That should about do it! CALL OF DUTY : Black Ops II isn’t a very difficult platinum. I actually found it to be one of the easiest COD plats and certainly the easiest ever produced by Treyarch. However, it is a very time consuming platinum and especially so depending on your skill and luck in completing the challenges and getting a good set of co-op partners for the zombies trophies. Regardless though, this is a very fun game and that combined with the moderate ease of the platinum makes this one of the more enjoyable platinum experiences of the past year or so (for me at least)
    Last edited by DETfaninATL; 01-02-2013 at 11:55 AM.

- 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

Next up, let's take a look at one of, if not the most, difficult platinum's I've ever obtained:

Vanquish
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 10
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘Tactical Challenger’ – Complete all of the tactical Challenges in VANQUISH
    Honorable mention(s): ‘Flyswatter’ – Destroy all the floating turrets in Act 3-4
    Easiest Trophy: ‘Helloooo, Nurse’ – Revive a friendly troop
    Approximate Time to platinum: 20-??? hrs. (completely depends on your skill / luck with ‘Tactical Challenger’)
    Online / Co-op play required to platinum?: No

ABOUT THE GAME: Vanquish is a truly excellent, top-notch, visually impressive and groundbreaking Third-Person shooter. In it, you play as Sam Gideon, an ex-athlete, who is recruited by DARPA and fitted with a prototype nuclear battlesuit which has the ability to rocket slide around the battlefield or slow time down for a few moments. You face off against an army of Russian robots (yes, the story is clichéd as all get out : USA vs. Russia in a battle of Rock ‘Em Sock ‘Em Robots) bent on world domination and it’s your job to stop them. Trust me – this game is WAAAAAAAY more exciting and fun than that sounds. Unfortunately it’s a fairly short game and it feels like it’s over before it began. But that speaks to both how fun it is and the production value that went in to creating this game. No matter how much action is going on on-screen at any given time (and it's usually a LOT!), the framerate never drops and the graphics look nothing short of incredibly amazing. And did I mention that this game is groundbreaking? Well, it is, in the regard that it actually brings something new to the third person shooter genre in that it gives you the rocket-slide ability in conjunction with the ability to slow down time, each for short periods of time. It may not sound like anything you haven’t seen before but once you play the game, you’ll understand. It’s truly an excellent game that heavily discourages you from playing it like any other duck-and-cover shooter. This game WANTS you to stay out of cover and constantly moving. But enough about the game itself; let’s get to the heart of the matter…..

THE PLATINUM REVIEW: Make no mistake – this is EASILY one of the hardest games to platinum out there. And it’s really for no other reason than one challenge in the ‘Tactical Challenger’ trophy. But we’ll get to that. The bulk of the trophies in Vanquish come at a moderate pace and are actually pretty easy, as they’re all related to either finishing an Act (or level if you will), doing X with weapon Y, collecting Pangloss statues and weapons, or beating the game on a certain difficulty. Nothing out of the ordinary. Beyond that there are specific action related trophies such as reviving 20 troops, defending a specific area from assault and the like. Of these, none are very difficult and can be achieved with a little concerted effort. Even the trophy ‘Living Legend – Complete the game without dying, regardless of difficulty level’ isn’t as hard as it sounds. You can play it on the easiest difficulty and as long as you manage your deaths / checkpoints, it’s a cakewalk. The only trophy out of these ‘miscellaneous’ ones that I found to be somewhat challenging was the ‘Flyswatter – Destroy all the floating turrets in Act 3-4’ trophy. But again, it’s nothing that wasn’t achieved without a little concerted effort. And certainly nothing that even comes close to the ferocious, brutal, punishing, frustrating, hellish difficulty of the ‘Tactical Challenger’ trophy. This trophy requires the completion of 6 tactical challenges. The first 5 are unlocked after you complete each of the 5 Acts; one challenge for each act. The 6th and quite honestly only reason this trophy is so hard, is unlocked after completing the first 5. The challenges themselves are, well, challenging but certainly nothing you can’t beat without a good bit of effort. Heck, the 5th one is child’s play compared to the one before it and especially the one after it. So really the 4th challenge and the 6th challenge are what will give you fits. And don’t kid yourself when you finally manage to beat the 4th challenge by saying “Well, I finally did that one so the 6th one should be do-able if I just try really hard”. Trust me – you have no clue until you’ve attempted it. It’s truly that difficult. It’s approaching insane is what it is. To give you an idea, I wrote a hyper-detailed guide on how to beat just the 6th Challenge itself. It can be found here if you wish to take a look :

http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/va...egy-guide.html

If the length of that post doesn’t give you an idea, here’s something else: I play videogames pretty much every night. And while I’m no ‘pro-quality gamer’ or something, I’m not bad. But I played and replayed Challenge 6 for hours upon hours a day, every day for over a month straight until I finally beat it. Yeah, it’s that fucking difficult, pardon my French. As a side note, if you want to see some true experts beat the challenge, look for some videos on YouTube. The one I’m specifically thinking of was done in about 5 minutes. The average time for most people to beat it is around 20 minutes! After you’ve experienced the oppressive difficulty of Challenge 6 for yourself, watching that video (or any of the others) will blow your mind.

So there you have it. There’s not much out of the ordinary to be aware of if you’re going for the plat in this game except for the one little trophy. And it’s not like it’s unobtainable, a few thousand people world-wide have popped it including myself, but it will also likely be one of, if not the most difficult trophies, you ever attempt. But don’t let that deter you from experiencing one of the more unique and incredibly fun games out today. Vanquish can be extremely difficult depending on how you play it, but it’s also immensely fun.

- 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

Keeping right along with that theme, here's another extremely difficult platinums I've obtained and also one of the most fun:

Aliens vs. Predator
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 9
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘I LOVE the Corps!’ – Complete Marine Campaign on Nightmare difficulty setting
    Honorable mention(s): ‘Magnificent, Isn’t It?’ and ‘One Ugly Mother’ - Complete Alien / Predator Campaign(s) on Nightmare difficulty setting (respectively), ‘The Six Pack’ – Play with six friends in a ranked match. (and there are many others)
    Easiest Trophy: ‘Welcome To The War’ – Play and complete your first Ranked Match in standard Deathmatch mode
    Approximate Time to platinum: 30-40 hrs. depending on luck / skill in online MP
    Online / Co-op play required to platinum?: Yes

ABOUT THE GAME: Aliens vs. Predator (AvP) is, despite what many reviewers have said, actually a pretty cool and very fun FPS game……. at least in my opinion. In it you play out a single storyline from the viewpoint of 3 different species : Human Marine, Alien and Predator. Each campaign is relatively short, consisting of 5 or 6 levels, but all are extremely fun despite the fact you’ll be playing through the same environments in each campaign, but, again, from a different species’ perspective.

THE PLATINUM REVIEW: I’ll say this right off the bat – this is a VERY hard game to platinum for a number of reasons. Before we go into those though, let’s break the trophies down. This game is actually like 3 mini-games in 1, as it has a separate campaign for each of the titular species. In each campaign, you have level completion trophies, kill related trophies, difficulty trophies, collectible trophies and that’s basically it. The single-player trophies are all easy enough to achieve with a little effort, with the exception of the 3 trophies for completing each campaign on ‘Nightmare Mode’. In each of these, you play through every level of each campaign on the very hardest difficulty level and with NO CHECKPOINTS! That’s right – you die, you go right back to the beginning of the level. Even if you’re juuuuuuust about to land the final blow on the boss and move to the next level; you get killed? You start over. It takes a good bit of time to get through most of the levels and it can be insanely frustrating, especially in the Marine campaign which has become notoriously (and surprisingly) known as being the toughest to get through and pretty damn difficult at that. Go figure. Considering this game is an FPS no matter which campaign you play, you’d think the human species (which we’re all used to playing in other games) would be the easiest. Not so. I’ve heard others say the Alien or Predator campaign is the most difficult in their opinion, but by and large, the majority of folks who’ve platinumed this game (myself included), agree the Human campaign is easily the most difficult.

As if those three ‘Nightmare’ trophies weren’t bad enough, then you also have a good handful of multiplayer trophies, almost all of which present a problem in some way or another. It’s here that the platinum experience really takes a turn for the worse / more challenging / however you care to look at it. With the exception of maybe one or two of the eleven MP trophies, all of them require a lot of skill and probably a good bit of luck too. Most noteworthy of the lot are as follows:

Kill 10 enemies in a row without dying in a Ranked Match” – if you’ve ever played Call Of Duty, or some other online game where you have a bunch of players running around trying to kill each other as quickly as possible, you have an idea how damn difficult it is to get a 10-kill streak without getting popped yourself. Now try that when some of your enemies are Predators who have cloaking ability. No further explanation needed.

“Achieve Persecutor status more than once in any Ranked Match” – To achieve persecutor status in a ranked match (IE, public match), you have to kill the same person 5 times without them killing you. Sound easy? Now do that more than once….. in the same match.

Finish a Ranked Infestation match as the only remaining prey” – This requires you to be the last man standing in an infestation match for 30 seconds. That is, 30 seconds with every other player in the match trying to kill you and only you. Good luck with that.

Get 18060 XP in Ranked Matches” – Depending on your skill, this can be a real bitch. It’s certainly do-able, but because of how XP is doled out, it takes a loooong time for most players.

Win 10 Ranked Matches in any Deathmatch mode” – Like the trophy above this, this one is also do-able but can be difficult, as, if you’ve ever played a deathmatch in any game, you know it’s not easy to win them consistently. Sure, there are some players out there who are incredibly good and always win or finish near the top of the boards, but that’s not the case for the rest of us. Then again, you can always use the buddy system and do this in Team Deathmatch mode where your chances will improve significantly.

“Play with six friends in a Ranked Match” – Despite how simple this would seem, this trophy is an utter pain in the ass. Chances are reeeeeal good, you don’t have 6 friends who all own the game and are online with you at the same time and in the same game. So now you need to find 6 other strangers through an internet forum whom you can boost this trophy with. You will likely find some people, but good luck getting them organized to do this. Not. Easy.

And there you have it. After platinuming this game I’m still not sure what was more difficult – the Nightmare modes or the MP trophies. Both are very difficult and frustrating, but with the right amount of skill, determination , persistence and, yes, luck, it can be done.

One final note : It should be known that even in this game’s prime, the servers were notoriously slow to set-up matches and you’d find yourself sitting in lobbies for almost longer than you spent playing a match. I don’t think it would be any better now that the game’s been out for a few years.

- 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

Moving right along and going from 'extremely hard' to 'extremely easy', I bing you my platinum review for :

Fallout 3
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 4
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘Vault-Tec C.E.O.’ – Collected 20 Vault-Tec Bobbleheads
    Honorable mention(s): (N/A - this game really isn't tough)
    Easiest Trophy: ‘Vault 101 Citizenship Award’ – Got the Pip-Boy 3000
    Approximate Time to platinum: 50+hrs.
    Difficulty Trophies?: Not exactly, but there are trophies for reaching cetain XP Levels based on your Karma (Evil, Neutral, Good).

ABOUT THE GAME: Fallout 3 is mainly an open-world, RPG with elements of FPS and action-adventure mixed in. The game sees you, The Lone Wanderer, adventure across the post-nuclear wasteland of what used to be Washington, D.C. searching for clues to your father’s sudden disappearance from the safety of Vault 101 which used to be your home. There are all sorts of main quests and side quests to complete, well over 100 locations to discover and explore and tons of interesting weapons, people and creatures throughout. All in all, it’s an extremely detailed, well-designed game that will take many, many hours to platinum and far, far more than that if you wish to play through all of the DLC and continue exploring locations you’ve not discovered in your main playthrough.

THE PLATINUM REVIEW: Obtaining the platinum for Fallout 3 isn’t hard at all, but it IS time consuming. Very, in fact. Due to the way the game is structured, it takes a long time to complete since you spend a lot of time in your personal menu (known as the PIP-Boy 3000 in the game) modifying your character, selecting and repairing weapons, looking at maps, using aid items, etc. It’s all done on the fly and it’s fun but it takes time, regardless. So don’t be looking for trophies to pop fast and furiously. They come at a very slow and gradual pace. The good majority of the trophies are doled out for completing missions (both main and side missions) and each takes time. Some can be completed more quickly than others but all require some effort. Interestingly, there are no difficulty trophies even though the game does have a difficulty level you can adjust at any point. My suggestion would be to play on the easiest setting, especially if you have the GOTY edition, as the installation of the DLC ‘Brotherhood Of Steel’ will allow you to continue playing even after the final ‘main quest’ is completed, as that DLC ups the Level cap to 30 instead of 20. Reason I say that is that on lower difficulties you earn less XP for everything, but it’s, obviously, easier to play through. But that’s not to say it’s going to be a cake-walk . Oh no. There are some enemies that are straight-up hard to kill and some areas that are difficult to manage through safely.
    Beyond the quest trophies, there are a handful of trophies that are awarded for completing certain actions X number of times, such as picking locks, speech challenge successes, hacking computers, etc. None of these are overly hard, but again they take time. The best thing to do is just play the game, complete as many of these actions along the way as you can and not worry about them until you get near the final main quest or two (if you don’t have the Brotherhood DLC) and ‘clean them up’ then. Beyond these 2 types of trophies, there are also trophies for reaching a certain XP Level with a specific karma (IE, Good, Neutral, Evil). If you don’t manage your save files very carefully (follow a trophy guide for an explanation of what to do!) you’re going to end up replaying many, many, many hours of gameplay just to pop a single trophy. Be forewarned. Also, there are 2 collectible trophies for finding bobbleheads, but one of them is simply for collecting half the total number (10) of the other (20). The reason I selected this as the hardest trophy above, despite there not really being any ‘hard’ trophies, is because this one takes a long time to find them all, some of the locations are difficult to get to, some require story progression, one is missable as it can only be found during one specific point in the game and not all of them are ‘along your way’. In fact a good number of them require you to seek them out above and beyond any quest you’re currently undertaking.

And that’s really about it for Fallout 3, in terms of obtaining the platinum trophy for it. It’s very straightforward and nothing you haven’t seen in any other game, but it does take a lot of time. It’s a fantastic game that takes a little getting used to as there’s a lot to know in it, but it’s a good time and an easy plat.

- 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

I have a few more in process, but this is the last one for right now:

SHADOWS OF THE DAMNED
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 3.5
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘The Puppeteer’ – Perform a Headshot right after a leg mutilation when the enemy is flying back in the air
    Honorable mention(s): ‘Nasty Headache’ – Perform 5 headshots in a row with any weapon except Big Boner
    Easiest Trophy: ‘You Go To Hell’ – Start a new game for the first time (any difficulty)
    Approximate Time to platinum: 25-35hrs.
    Difficulty Trophies?: Yes – and they DON’T stack

ABOUT THE GAME: Shadows Of The Damned is a Third Person Shooter from the minds of the great Japanese game creators Suda 51 and Shinji Mikami. In it, you are Garcia Hotspur, a demon hunter who travels to hell in hopes of stealing back his girlfriend Paula, who has been taken from him by the demon lord Fleming. As you can see, there’s not much to the plot and it’s also riddled with dick and fart jokes and tends to come off pretty puerile, even if it’s intentionally tongue-in-cheek. If you’ve played Resident Evil 4, 5, 6 or Dead Space 1 or 2, then you’ll be familiar with the shooting mechanics of this game. It’s pretty straight-forward TPS.

THE PLATINUM REVIEW: Getting the platinum for this game really isn’t that hard at all. If anything it’s maybe a little time consuming and a tad annoying, but definitely not difficult. The majority of the trophies come fast and easy with the bulk of the trophies being ‘automatic’ for either completing chapters or beating bosses, regardless of difficulty. Then you have the various kill X # of enemies with weapon Y trophies. Each of these are very easy as well, provided you make a concerted effort to get them. Reason being is that you have 3 basic weapons in the game and they get upgraded automatically every few chapters. So, you have to get the requisite # of kills with a specific weapon before it gets upgraded and you need to get the kills with that version of the weapon. Again, not difficult at all and every one of them can be obtained on a single play-through on Normal or Easy difficulty, but just something to be aware of. As for the single collectible trophy in the game, the description is misleading, since it says to ‘Recover all available red gems in the game’, of which there are 38. But to get the trophy to pop, you have to actually upgrade everything to its’ max which requires 80 red gems – NOT 38. A big difference. If you play the game carefully and on the easiest setting, get every hidden red gem possible using a guide, make sure to bust open all breakable objects, and kill as many enemies as possible by shooting off their legs and then stomping on them (this nets you the most currency for a kill), then you won’t need to farm too much currency (gems in this game), if any. However, farming currency isn’t a bad idea when going for the collectible trophy, just to play it safe. Plus, it’s also a good idea on the Hard difficulty as the upgrades you’ll be able to purchase from doing so will make it that much easier to breeze through the game. Speaking of the difficulty trophies, easy is REALLY easy, normal is about what you’d expect and hard, though it can be bothersome in a few spots, really isn’t that bad at all. But what makes the difficulty trophies a drag is that none of them stack and you have to play through each at least once completely in order to get the platinum. Further compounding the annoyance of this, is the fact that you can’t skip any of the cutscenes, some of which can be a little long and almost all of which are boring and insipid beyond the initial viewing. That may not seem like that big of a deal, but it does get exceptionally irritating and starts grating on your nerves long before you even start your 3rd playthrough. Still, it’s just a minor annoyance.

As for the remainder of the trophies, they’re all skill related, such as getting 5 headshots in a row, or killing X # of enemies at a time using X, etc. None of these are overly hard and some are laughably easy. The toughest trophy in the game, ‘The Puppeteer’, requires you to “Perform a Headshot right after a leg mutilation when the enemy is flying back in the air”. This isn’t easy and does require some luck, but it’s also not impossible and if you attempt it every time you kill an enemy, you’ll eventually get it and sooner rather than later. Incidentally, it’s best to try this one on easy (or normal , even) and use the machine gun.

And that’s about it for SHADOWS OF THE DAMNED. In summary, this is a pretty quick & easy platinum and a moderately fun one to get, but the un-skippable cutscenes and required 3 playthroughs bring the ‘fun factor’ down a few notches. It’s a decent little platinum to add to your collection but also a fairly forgettable title, IMHO, despite what many reviewers will tell you.

- 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

CAPTAIN AMERICA : Super Soldier
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 2
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘Can’t Stand Any Higher’ – 100% Golds awrded in Challenge Mode
    Honorable mention(s): (none – there really aren’t any hard trophies in this game)
    Easiest Trophy: (take your pick – just about any of them)
    Approximate Time to platinum: 15-20 hrs.
    Collectibles Trophies?: Yes - quite a few
    Difficulty Trophies?: No

ABOUT THE GAME: CAPTAIN AMERICA: Super Soldier is the videogame that very loosely ties into the Marvel comics movie ‘CAPTAIN AMERICA : The First Avenger’. By this I mean that they came out at the same time and the hero dresses essentially the same in both the game and the movie and some of the characters / settings are the same. Otherwise, the similarities end there. By playing this game or seeing the movie, you risk no spoilers for one or the other as the plot points in each have nothing to do with each other, other than you’re fighting Nazis in WWII. The game itself is surprisingly fun and satisfying for a licensed game, much in the same way X-MEN ORIGINS : Wolverine was.

THE PLATINUM REVIEW:
    First off, this is a very collectables heavy game. None of the collectables are hard to find at all, but you’ll absolutely want to have a checklist handy to mark off what you’ve found in case you have to go back and do some chapter select to clean up anything you missed. It would also be wise to have some form of a collectables guide sitting next to you as you play, whether it’s a written guide or a video guide on the web, because there are more than one type of collectable in this game. You’ll essentially be looking out for about 4 main collectable types spread across the campaign (Zemo Diaries, Schematics, Ceramic Eggs & Zola Reels) but there are also another handful of trophies I consider a sort of collectable as you’ll need to find / destroy / use other things / items as well (AA cannons, Enigma keypads, sewer entrances, statues, etc.). The good things about all these collectables are, they aren’t hard at all, don’t require a ton of effort to go out of your way to find as you’ll likely want to explore some as well, and there are multiple trophies for some, along the lines of ‘found 1 ____’ , in addition to the ‘found all_______’.

In addition to the collectables, a big chunk of the 50 actionable trophies in this game (the 51st is the Platinum itself) are nothing more than automatic chapter completion trophies. 18 of them to be exact. Of the remaining 32, only a very small handful are related to any kind of action you need to make an effort on to obtain. These include things like knocking out 4 enemies with one focused shield throw, defeating 10 enemies with a weaponized enemy, causing 500 explosions or defeating a certain type of enemy, etc. All in all, basically your standard collection of do X a certain number of times type trophies. None of these are hard though and some may come automatically without even trying.

Rounding out the trophies in this game are the trophies for collecting skill points and the challenge trophies. Neither of these are hard at all. The 2 skill points trophies will likely come naturally just by playing through the game, as you get skill points for finding intel (which is littered all over the place) and also for defeating enemies. Both of these are things you’ll be doing anyway. With regards to the challenge trophies, I found only one or two of the ‘challenges’ actually worthy of being called a challenge. Of the 10 challenges, I aced 8 of them on my first try and the other 2 only took a few attempts. Pretty easy stuff. Throw on top of that, the fact that there are trophies for simply unlocking the challenges and also for completing 1 and getting 50% golds in addition to the 100% golds, and the challenge trophies are all but a joke.

And there you have it. A quick, easy platinum review for a quick, easy game. As far as platinum trophies go, this one is ridiculously easy and quite a fun time to boot. While in the process of obtaining the plat for this game, I noted to myself quite a few times, that I found it hard to find an easier and more enjoyable platinum experience in a long time. I found it hard to find an easier platinum that was also this satisfying and fun. Now, that’s not to say this game is going to blow you away with its’ technical prowess and genius gameplay (it’s not). But I did find it significantly more fun to play & plat than others I had recently platinumed, that were as relatively easy but more critically acclaimed, such as ‘Lollipop Chainsaw (look for the review on that one in the coming months). All in all, a fun, short game and an easy plat if you’re looking for something to kill time on or beef up your stats.

- 311 -

Lvl 6 - Silver

SPEC OPS : The Line
    Estimated Difficulty (on a 10 scale): 8
    Most difficult Trophy: ‘The Devil’s Disciple – Complete the game on “Suicide Mission” difficulty *
    Honorable mention(s): ‘MFWIC – Complete the game on “FUBAR” difficulty
    Easiest Trophy: ‘Deer Hunter – Kill an Oryx (campaign only)’
    Approximate Time to platinum: 20-30 hours depending on skill and luck in 2 hardest difficulties
    Collectibles Trophies?: Yep.
    Difficulty Trophies?: You’d better believe it.

ABOUT THE GAME: SPEC OPS : The Line is a third person shooter based loosely on the novel ‘Heart Of Darkness’ by Joseph Conrad (the game even makes a rather obvious nod to this by naming the main antagonist in the game ‘Conrad’). The game is set in Dubai after a cataclysmic sandstorm has all but wiped the city off the map and you and two other members of Delta Force are sent in to assess the situation and rescue any survivors. However, this is after an entire battalion has been sent in to do the same and all communication was lost with them. In a nutshell, if you’ve seen the movie ‘Apocalypse Now’ , think of that movie set under the circumstances I’ve just described. While this may sound like your typical military shooter fare, it’s not quite, because it forces you to make some tough decisions that affect the story itself and also gets you to question your actions because of who you’re constantly shooting at and why. And that’s about all I’ll say about the game itself, so as not to ruin anything. Suffice it to say though, this is a very good game, with a good story and not entirely your typical military shooter.

THE PLATINUM REVIEW: So, what can you expect when going for the platinum in this game? In a word? Frustration. Plain and simple. Make no mistake about it, this is a tough (but fair) game, with smart, accurate AI, some pretty punishing difficulty levels and, unfortunately, some unreliable controls. It’s impossible to write this type of review without at least mentioning the controls because as hard as the game is in a lot of places, the controls don’t help any, which is especially bad for a cover-based shooter. That’s not to say the controls are absolutely terrible or that you should think twice about playing this game because of them, but you ARE going to die quite a few deaths you may otherwise not have because of the controls being a little wonky.

Now on to the actual trophies themselves……

SPEC OPS : The Line has a very standard trophy set. There are your ‘get x number of kills with weapon y’ trophies, story checkpoint trophies, decision-based trophies, a few collectible trophies and a smattering of miscellaneous trophies such as ‘Deer Hunter – Kill an Oryx (campaign only)’ (this can actually be done immediately at the beginning of the game and as the first bullet you shoot). None of these are remotely hard and most will come without even trying over your 2 required playthroughs (if you’re going for platinum). So, it really boils down to being able to get the 2 trophies for playing on the 2 hardest difficulties.

* Make no mistake about it, FUBAR difficulty is aptly named and the hardest difficulty level. However, I’m of the opinion it’s not as hard as the difficulty level below it (Suicide Mission). Reason being is because you have to play Suicide Mission in order to unlock FUBAR difficulty, so if you jump straight into Suicide Mission difficulty (as I and many others have done), and then play FUBAR, you’ll know what to expect, you’ll know when the really tough parts are and you’ll already have a strategy devised for getting through them. Because make no mistake about it, Suicide Mission is aptly named as well, and not much easier than FUBAR at all. Again, this game can be merciless in spots and there are some tough areas that are exacerbated by some long (almost unfair) checkpoints. Granted, the vast majority of the checkpoints in the game are well placed and fair, but there are a few spots you’ll be questioning why there isn’t one. Especially after you’ve died a LOT of times, thought you were past the ‘hardest part’ and then get killed by some prick in hiding only to find yourself all the way back at the beginning of ‘the hard part’ (whichever one it may be). So, with all this talk of this game being hard, you’re probably wondering ‘how hard is it, really?’ Well, the closest I can approximate it to, based solely on what I’ve played and not heard about from others, is either RESISTANCE : Fall Of Man on Superhuman difficulty or CALL OF DUTY : World At War, minus the laughable but frustrating grenade spamming. The AI in this game reacts how you would expect another human player to react, for the most part. Sure you’ll see it do some dumb things on occasion but for the most part, if they see you take cover behind something, for example, they’ll try and wait you out just like you would do to them and blow your head off the second you try and take a shot at someone before you can even fully stand up and squeeze the trigger. So, the game’s pretty tough, but not at all impossible. In fact the game doesn’t really start to feel brutal, except in a few spots, until later in the game. But when it starts getting tough, it can feel pretty oppressive at times.

The only other trophies in the game that bear mentioning are the decision based trophies. None of these are hard in and of themselves, but they can make the game hard for you. If you’re shooting for platinum and are going to jump into Suicide Mission right off (heck, even if you’re not), it’s HIGHLY advised you take a solid look at a trophy guide and find out which decisions at which points are advised for your Suicide Mission playthrough and which are advised for your FUBAR playthrough. There’s one in particular that will call for either an all-out fight or a stealthy approach. The fight is a big one and it’s pretty damn tough in Suicide Mission, so it’s very recommended you go for the stealth option in FUBAR.

And there you have it. A straightforward trophy set for a straightforward game. The platinum is one that you’ll feel good about, enjoy seeing on your trophy list and have fun getting, so I hope this review helps!

- 311 -

PRO Member

Is the mp for alien vs predator still active? From whatever you wrote I will want to try playing captain America since he is my fave superhero. I will also look for Vanquish, I'm not saying I will go for platinum but I want to try hardest game out there.

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

Banned

Thanks for the reviews. I wish I could find Captain America somewhere. I hear it's like Batman.