Dual Harddrives

This is a discussion on Dual Harddrives within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So this guy I work with has a 160gb harddrive and it's getting pretty full. Another guy has an extra ...

PRO Member

Dual Harddrives

So this guy I work with has a 160gb harddrive and it's getting pretty full. Another guy has an extra 160gb where he upgraded his to a 320. Is it possible to format both of those harddrives to the same PS 3 or can you only have one set to a PS3 at a time?

Death to zombies!!

You can use an external HDD and format it to FAT32. I have a 320gb in my PS3 and a 1TB external that i use for all my music and videos.

You can also buy external cases to put a HDD in, which he will need to do. Then just format it to FAT32 and make the correct folders

Sig by djunglist
    Platboy bar by Hitmon133

My checklist
    Stu's pot of shinies

Deathless Destroyer

I have a 2 TB external HDD. If I format the drive to FAT 32, will I be able to use it with my ps3?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

illegal in 9 countries

If you have an internal PS3 HDD, you can only use external USB drives to store media files like Video, Audio and Photos. Yes, it needs to be FAT32.

You can buy an adaptor card to replace the internal HDD with an external eSATA HDD up to 2TB. The PS3 will format it as FAT32.

This comes with a big, fat caveat - only a few 2TB HDD models can be detected and correctly formatted by the PS3. It's a crapshoot because some HDDs of the same model will work, others won't.

1TB HDDs work fine, but you can get them as internal HDD replacements which renders the external eSATA card obsolete.

Long story short -

No, you can't use 2 HDDs concurrently as internal (or external) PS3 drives.
    Yes, you can use an external USB HDD for media files.
    Yes, you can replace an internal HDD with an external HDD, but there's little point going external given the 1TB limit.

PRO Member

Ok. Thanks. I didn't think you could, but thought is ask. I'll tell him to just buy a bigger harddrive and swap them out.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

So let's focus on your original question...

Quote Originally Posted by christiet937 View Post
    So this guy I work with has a 160gb harddrive and it's getting pretty full. Another guy has an extra 160gb where he upgraded his to a 320. Is it possible to format both of those harddrives to the same PS 3 or can you only have one set to a PS3 at a time?
    If I interpreted your question correctly it appears to me that you are asking if you could use the other guy's 160 gb hard drive on the first guy's PS3. The answer would be you could if you wanted to but you would have to re-format the other guy's drive which would erase what was previously on it & then the first guy would be able to use it. However it isn't common practice to occasionally switch out drives just to use another drive.
    Now speaking from personal experience I have upgraded from the original PS3 hard drive to a Toshiba 5400 rpm 250 gb drive to a 7200 rpm 320 gb drive to finally a 5400 rpm 500 gb, all internal. All smaller drives could be re-installed into the same PS3 if I wanted however I use them on the other PS3's I own when I upgraded their hard drives size.