PS3 Breaking? HELP

This is a discussion on PS3 Breaking? HELP within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi, I re-bought Black Ops (yes the first one) 8 days ago from a used second hand store (CEX, people ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

PS3 Breaking? HELP

Hi,

I re-bought Black Ops (yes the first one) 8 days ago from a used second hand store (CEX, people in the UK may have heard of it), anyway It played fine on day one, I go to play this game again yesterday and guess what? It stutters through the opening screens (if it gets that far), so I'm constantly ejecting the disc and resetting the console etc.. I got 1 game in about 70 loading attempts, even then the sound dropped, after the game I couldn't reconnect and suffered the same issues.
    I've let the PS3 rebuild it's file system each time after it says it shut down wrong (which is bullshit because it didn't), I eventually gave in after 2 days and formatted my PS3 and lost everything which I wasn't too fussed about as I hardly ever replay old games, I did the fan trick to blow the dust out of my PS3 (done previously months ago too).
    The strangest thing I feel is the fact that FIFA 13 works perfectly, no issues what so ever, apart from I've lost 12 on the bounce today haha!
    If anyone has had the same problems recently or knows what the problem might be that'd be cool, I have a 120gb slim PS3 and it's almost 3 and a half years old, I live in the UK so EU region. Films work fine too on my PS3 and not sure about any other games as I don't have anything else on disc at the moment.
    Cheers
    Because Trophies are amazing...

Lvl 7 - Gold

What kind of condition does the Black Ops disc appear to be in as a second hand copy?

Lvl 4 - Silver

Oh I forgot to mention, the disc itself is mint condition, to be 100% I compared to my FIFA 13 disc which is brand new of last week, what totally confused me is the fact that it played perfectly for like 9 hours straight the first day I got it (the used Black Ops)

Lvl 7 - Gold

I don't know man. I'm stumped. The fact you have the FIFA disc working for you fine has me befuddled. Unless one takes more computing power than the other and your PS3 is indeed on the outs.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I know, I totally don't get it, I couldn't find anything useful that was recent, it was all posts from when Black Ops was first out, things that were probably fixed by patches, I'm thinking about buying a new machine anyway, the one with the 500gb HDD so that I'll have plenty of space for all my downloads and things. Really appreciate you having a think about it, so many people read these threads but never comment lol thanks again!

illegal in 9 countries

You can bang a 500GB HDD into your existing Slim, no need to buy a new one.

It sounds like the Black Ops disc to me. Try a number of other disc-based games. If they all work fine, then it's not your PS3.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I don't understand though how it played perfectly and then didn't? I keep all my games in their cases in a drawer when not in use, I'm not aware of games being overplayed but to say it's over 2 years old that game I suppose I don't know how much it was played...

Deathless Destroyer

Black ops wasn't properly developed for the PS3 - as a result the PS3 takes a great strain to play it. My original 60GB PS3 I had since 2006 was working perfectly until a few weeks after I started playing BO. On its day of YLOD on September 2012, I started up the PS3, loaded it up after updating the firmware, played 2 mins of online and...instant restart. Tried the game again and 5 minutes later..YLOD. The disc was also in mint condition, even though I borrowed the game from someone.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 4 - Silver

Thanks for your detailed input, it seems the majority of people asked seem to think it's the system itself over the disc, when I first bought Black Ops at release and played for nearly a year I never had 1 problem with it like this which makes me believe it's the system too! Time for an upgrade soon I think

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Black ops wasn't properly developed for the PS3 - as a result the PS3 takes a great strain to play it. My original 60GB PS3 I had since 2006 was working perfectly until a few weeks after I started playing BO. On its day of YLOD on September 2012, I started up the PS3, loaded it up after updating the firmware, played 2 mins of online and...instant restart. Tried the game again and 5 minutes later..YLOD. The disc was also in mint condition, even though I borrowed the game from someone.
    You're speculating with zero evidence to support it.

I've had two YLoDs - the first while playing Trine, the second while playing XCOM. Neither game put any "strain" on the PS3. YLoD is an accumulated condition over years of use and it's completely unrelated to a specific game.

@leavingnoname - you haven't responded. Have you tried numerous other game discs? Do they all work fine? If so, it's more than likely to BO disc, game data or save game. Delete the game data (assuming it creates some) and try again.

Slims are nowhere near as susceptible to hardware failure as the Fats, so I wouldn't be too quick to blame the console. There's a chance the Blu-Ray laser is having difficulty reading the Black Ops disc and if it has similar trouble with other discs, then it's an easy repair.

If it's restricted to BO and all other games work fine, then it's probably the BO disc which could have a manufacturing defect.

The other possibility is the hard-drive may be failing, in which case it's much cheaper and easier to replace than to buy a new console.

The new PS3 model sucks, I'd do everything possible to keep the Slim. YLoD is highly unlikely, Blu-Ray drives are easy and cheap to repair and hard-drives are dead easy to replace with models up to 1TB in size.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    You're speculating with zero evidence to support it.

I've had two YLoDs - the first while playing Trine, the second while playing XCOM. Neither game put any "strain" on the PS3. YLoD is an accumulated condition over years of use and it's completely unrelated to a specific game.

@leavingnoname - you haven't responded. Have you tried numerous other game discs? Do they all work fine? If so, it's more than likely to BO disc, game data or save game. Delete the game data (assuming it creates some) and try again.

Slims are nowhere near as susceptible to hardware failure as the Fats, so I wouldn't be too quick to blame the console. There's a chance the Blu-Ray laser is having difficulty reading the Black Ops disc and if it has similar trouble with other discs, then it's an easy repair.

If it's restricted to BO and all other games work fine, then it's probably the BO disc which could have a manufacturing defect.

The other possibility is the hard-drive may be failing, in which case it's much cheaper and easier to replace than to buy a new console.

The new PS3 model sucks, I'd do everything possible to keep the Slim. YLoD is highly unlikely, Blu-Ray drives are easy and cheap to repair and hard-drives are dead easy to replace with models up to 1TB in size.
    Thanks for your input dude, i've tried deleting game data 3 times and all saves and nothing worked, as I mentioned I only have that and FIFA 13 on disc games right now and FIFA works fine without issue.
    I was thinking of upgrading to a 500gb console anyway as I have a ton of PSN content and since i formatted my HDD I need to redownload it all again anyway. I'm going to try get a new black ops disc this week or next, I will update you thanks