Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Underwater Sequences in Video Games

This is a discussion on Underwater Sequences in Video Games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Am I the only one who doesn't like going underwater in video games? I mean I've always had a fear ...

Will Love you for Food

Underwater Sequences in Video Games

Am I the only one who doesn't like going underwater in video games? I mean I've always had a fear of sharks and drowning, they are just givenly scary. Water levels to me are just scary. But it just seems whenever there is underwater parts in a game (even if it's not suppose to be a scary game), they always have to put in some frightening shit like sharks, claustrophobia, music, a breathe bar, or something. Some examples: (sorry about the annoying commentators)

Skip to 3:45

Skip to 11:30

This is Clanker scaring the crap out of you in Banjo Kazooie, after swimming in dingy disgusting water.

Lurker sharks in Jax and Daxter. shitting my pants

maybe I'm just a wuss, but going underwater in video games seriously makes me uncomfortable

Retired

Dat Sly 3 crap was annoying as hell.

God of War didn't have anything scary in the swimming sequences.

PRO Member

I don't have a fear of water in real life. In games, I hate going into the water. I feel defenseless and helpless. It also always seem I am doing fine in a game until I come to water and then I get destroyed. Plus, it seems so many characters have this annoying habit of dying as soon as they come in contact with water.....
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Rangers F.C

I actually like water in games and think it would be cool if there were some kind of survival horror under water like Abyss the movie ( not Bioshock before anyone says it ) a real gritty and scary game .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

★ Extra Astronomical ★

I find underwater segments to be huge pains in the ass most of the time.

PRO Member

I have never liked underwater sequences in games, and I thought I was the only chicken out there. Hated Tomb Raider underworld underwater sections. I don't like the idea that an enemy can come at me from any point, and yeah I think sharks are creepy if I'm swimming with one. I'm also not a big fan of games where I can't see very well. I'm all for a big scare, or being startled, but I don't like fighting something where I can't see what I'm doing.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by apokolypz View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't like going underwater in video games? I mean I've always had a fear of sharks and drowning, they are just givenly scary. Water levels to me are just scary. But it just seems whenever there is underwater parts in a game (even if it's not suppose to be a scary game), they always have to put in some frightening shit like sharks, claustrophobia, music, a breathe bar, or something. Some examples: (sorry about the annoying commentators)

maybe I'm just a wuss, but going underwater in video games seriously makes me uncomfortable
    There is nothing wrong with being uncomfortable with underwater stuff.

Our culture believes in zombies, dead pirates, sea monsters, and just the fear of drowning, so all of that puts you into a uncomfortable state.

I find these types of scenes more of a annoying feeling, because although it may be fun, they usually make it more difficult than it has to be.

Angel of Death

Not out fear, but going underwater in games is usually really annoying.

Saints Row IV

I love underwater sections
    Only on clean water,not dirty water with mud and shit
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Change is mediocre

While this isn't really an underwater sequence per se, the Resistance 2 parts where you're in the water were tense as hell, because there were those chimera guys in the water. Hated that, every time I was in the water I would instantly want to get out.

Threat

I wouldn't say I dislike them, but they are kind of annoying since your abilities and movement are crippled while underwater (For most games anyway).
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Breakfast and Chill

Does anyone remember the water sequences from Half-life?
    There was always at least one of these freaks in a large body of water

Lvl 1 - Bronze

imho worst underwater part were the levels in tomb raider 2 after you are on the oil rig. hated those! and you didnt even swim much

Retired Staff Member

For me, underwater sequences are more of an annoyance, as it never feels right. It's always more of an annoyance, and watching a character swim like no human has ever swam in their life just pulls me out of the game. There might be games with great underwater mechanics, but nothing comes to mind for me at the moment...

-i- love myself.

I never liked underwater sequences, their more annoying than the television broadcasting the same commercials over and over again.

Deathless Destroyer

I bought Crysis 2 not long ago, and there seems to be an underwater segment at the very beginning off a short 10 min video that I watched as I wont be able to play the game for about two weeks. Ironically, everyone in the water except for your character dies.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

NSFW

I have a love/hate relationship with water in video games.

I hate sharks. I'm panicking in Far Cry 3.... I can take spiders, snakes, big cats and lizards, but I just can't take sharks. Also the feeling of being water makes you so much more invulnerable and slow.

On the other side, I love sailing in video games.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 9 - Gold

When I was around 7 I almost drowned in a pool because a kid pushed me and I didn't know how to swim. Since then I've been a bit afraid to get underwater (even though I know it's a stupid phobia the fear seems to be hardwired into my brain), even in pools I get nervous and start hyperventilating (just when I go underwater, I can get into a pool and the ocean just fine as long as my head is above the water).

Anyway, besides that, no, I don't mind water levels in games. They ARE annoying usually because mobility and weapons are limited (i.e, you can't attack or move slowly), but I don't feel uncomfortable or anything, which is weird.
    If anything I actually LOVE the sort of "claustrophobic" atmosphere of the BioShock games, looking out a leaking window into the ocean floor...or when you get outside in BioShock 2 as Delta, I loved it. But if people do get nervous I won't say it's weird, I find it perfectly normal.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 7 - Gold

I have hated water-based levels in just about every game I've encountered them, starting with this one that still haunts my dreams (the original TMNT game on the NES is one of the hardest games of all time) :

I also absolutely hated the Mario 3 water world, swimming in TR Underworld made me want to kick a puppy, and Sonic ruined my childhood. You name a water level, I probably hated it. Strangely enough, I really like Hydrophobia Prophecy.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Lvl 4 - Silver

Ive always found underwater levels really cool, probably because my love and fascination of the ocean. 1 game that popped into my head immediately was Star Wars KOTOR. I absolutely loved the mission when you had to dive underwater. Bioshock was also an underwater experience that i enjoyed thoroughly.

Visit My Art Page: http://artithan-artpage.blogspot.ca/ You Won't Regret It.

'But I dont want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
    'Oh, you can't help that.' said the Cat: 'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad.'
    'How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
    'You must be,' said the Cat, 'Or you wouldn't have come here.'
    -Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast