Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How dependent are you on guides??

This is a discussion on How dependent are you on guides?? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I normally buy guides with my games if they are available (or not super rare) and one of the things ...

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I normally buy guides with my games if they are available (or not super rare) and one of the things I like to do before I start up a game is look through the guide and instruction booklets to get myself a bit more immersed in the world I am going to be playing in and giving me a little more background or flavor text before I start. I think physical guides are the ultimate companion pieces to games, and I like to get both if I can.

As for guides in general, I think it's a good idea in general to at least take a glance at what you will need before you start a game to save you the headache of needing to invest another separate play through if possible. I would compare to getting something you need to build out of a box with dozens of little pieces, parts, and things that need to be completed in order to finish. Some people don't believe in using instructions when it comes to building these things, and some people like to work in a mess around them. I am one of those people who looks for those instructions first, and likes to separate those parts into piles by step, and go from there. My standpoint at games is fairly similar in it's approach, and normally requires equal preparation.

Time is the one commodity that can never be replaced, so I place a fairly high value on what I do with it. Guides are one of the best tools for maximizing ones efficiency when it comes to time, and should be used by anyone who has it in short supply.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 9 - Gold

I usually do as much as I can without the aid of guides, as it's less fun if you're being led every step of the way - I prefer to discover things for myself without having them spoiled in advance. However, if I know a certain trophy is glitched, or if there are ample collectibles to be found, then of course I'll employ guides for those so I can do them with the minimum of fuss.

illegal in 9 countries

It depends on the game and the time commitment for the Plat.

If a game requires multiple relatively short playthroughs, I won't consult a guide at all on the first run to simply enjoy the experience.

If a game requires only one playthrough and is over 50 hours long (most RPGs), I'll check out a guide beforehand to make sure I get all missable trophies.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

PRO Member

I usually play through the game first and get what trophies I can. The. i will look at what trophies I am missing and try to get them on my own. If I can't I refer to a guide to see what I am missing, how to make it easier or whatever. I would say I have gotten most of my trophies without a guide but I usually have to look at a guide atleast once per game.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

worlds biggest welch fan

For rpg`s ill print the guide
    .80% dependent so i can knock out quite a bit on the first playthrough.
    SIG BY ME

FFXIII Plat #35 trophy #5,000 goal reached

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Before I play a game, I check out the guide to see exactly how hard the trophies are going to be. If it's a game im really excited for I usually care less about trophy difficulty.

Chocobo Master

If it's a RPG then I normally look after I beat the game or before I go to the next area if returning is impossible.(DA:2) If it's a sports game then I never look.
    Last edited by Jay Hawk-chan; 01-09-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I usually scan guides before I start a game, checking for minimum playthroughs and missable trophies. Then I'll play through the game and finish the story. I will consult the guide frequently after that for cleanup.

Cipher sent us to hell

It depends on what my goal with the game is. When speaking of games I have genuine interest in (of recent example is Persona 4 Golden), I will play through it normally and unlock what I can if I happen to stumble upon it. I don't use a guide or even the trophy list. If I get a game that was an impulse buy or a Gamefly rental that I threw in the queue but wasn't terribly interested in, I'll hit up the guide and trophy list before hand.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."

A plat a month!

Quote Originally Posted by APriceless View Post
    I would say I use a guide more often than not, mainly because I like being efficient.
    That is exactly why I like using a guide up front.

> Restart Button <

Well, before I get a game or start it I'll review the trophy list just to see what the trophies are for fun and to get an idea of them. Sometimes I'll check a guide if the game has trophies that I don't understand yet or seem difficult. Ussually though, I'll just play the game until I need help, then I refer to the trophy guides to help me clean it up.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Rubicant81 View Post
    As for guides in general, I think it's a good idea in general to at least take a glance at what you will need before you start a game to save you the headache of needing to invest another separate play through if possible. I would compare to getting something you need to build out of a box with dozens of little pieces, parts, and things that need to be completed in order to finish. Some people don't believe in using instructions when it comes to building these things, and some people like to work in a mess around them. I am one of those people who looks for those instructions first, and likes to separate those parts into piles by step, and go from there. My standpoint at games is fairly similar in it's approach, and normally requires equal preparation.

Time is the one commodity that can never be replaced, so I place a fairly high value on what I do with it. Guides are one of the best tools for maximizing ones efficiency when it comes to time, and should be used by anyone who has it in short supply.
    This pretty much sums it up for me

Lvl 1 - Bronze

For the first time around, I try to just play the game, figure stuff out as I go along.
    Although I tend to check guides for the next area to go to if I'm stuck, sort of a push in the right direction.

If it's a good enough game that I play 2+ times, I'll use a guide to do hidden stuff, or other stuff that I might have missed the first time around.
    When I played Final Fantasy VIII and IX, I was really surprised at how much stuff I missed the first time around, and it was really fun.

For collectible stuff I always keep a guide on hand. The monster info fragment in FFXIII-2 for instance.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm a single player orientated gamer though that's getting a lot harder to be as most games are being released with some sort of multi/co-op attached. Most of my games are very story orientated and because of that I stay a mile away from any guides until I finish the story at least once. Then its free game though this has boned me many times in a hunt for a plat fallout 3 for eg I had to go though twice cause I didn't save for the good,nuteral and bad level caps. So it can be a pain in the ass

PRO Member

I look at guides way more often than I should, but my time for gaming is extremely limited so it's hard to resist trying to be as efficient as possible. I always look at the roadmap and see if there are any missable trophies or missable collectibles, or if it's recommended to start on a certain difficulty. Generally I try to find the collectibles on my own unless I get stuck, but I can't stand the thought of missing a trophy and having to replay from the beginning (if it's level select, then I don't really mind). I will also consult the guide for hidden trophies if they are non-story related.
    Currently working on: Jak 3

Platinums (25): 3D Dot Game Heroes, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 2 - Bronze

i wouldnt say dependant per se but i definately use them so that i can find out if difficulty trophies stack and check for missable trophies. plus im not much of a hunter for collectable trophies so i definately use them for that. i probably could do just fine without them but i figure these people put a lot of work into these guides it would be a shame not to use them

Banned

I keep my laptop right next to me when I play games. Minimizing playthroughs is my main priority and I am also a bit paranoid about missing missable trophies, so I will often look through the whole guide multiple times in the middle of playing. So yes, I am very dependent.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Def look over the guide first to check 4 trophies that cant be missed cuz it'll create another playthrough. Also to check 4 glitches if trophies wont pop

PRO Member

Yea if the game has alot of missible trophies or hidden trophies then i will check the guide! besides it's wery nice to have a guide to check into if you are stuck! so yea it's often a must!!!

Luckly the best guides out there are created on this site so Hugh Thanks to all who are working on them.

Plats-O'-War!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt-Redding View Post
    I usually "complete" a game, so its campaign, main storyline, etc, etc, before i consider consulting a guide, and usually get quite a few trophies along the way as I tend to do everything in a game and try all the new features. After all this ill check the trophies and try to do them based on their description and only if I cant complete them then will I read the guide.
    However for collectables I usually just consult the guide or YouTube the locations.

I will admit though that every game that is released or releasing soon I read the trophy list as soon as possible so I usually have an idea of the trophies from the onset.
    I'm the same. I play the game for enjoyment 1st, then I take a look at a guide. If there's any stackable difficulty trophies, then I play it on hard or very hard on my 1st run-through just to get that out of the way. I usually enjoy the game more if I play it on it's hardest difficulty. I guess playing W@W on Veteran and playing NGS2 on Master Ninja will do that for you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast