Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How dependent are you on guides??

This is a discussion on How dependent are you on guides?? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; What is your breaking point for when you have to look up how to get a trophy. Do you spend ...

Perfecting since 1996

How dependent are you on guides??

What is your breaking point for when you have to look up how to get a trophy. Do you spend any time at all trying to get the trophy on your own or do you go straight to a guide?

Lvl 4 - Silver

I need to look at the trophy guide to see how to get every trophy. Most time I need to look at the guide 3 times just make sure I'm doing everything right.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I'm very dependant on guides and given my life style, the first thing I look at is the estimated time to plat. If it's something ridiculous then I'll more than likely leave it which is a shame really because I will probably miss out on some great games. However, if it's Final Fantasy and that has a long time to plat for example then I'll do it anyway. I can't actually remeber the last time I played a game without consulting a guide, even for the easiest of games, it's just a natural reaction for me. And it's quite difficult to avoid guides since I'm a memeber on a gaming site lol.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Rangers F.C

I have stopped collecting but when I did , I could maybe at a push get 50% without but needed the guide for the rest .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 7 - Gold

Very little. When I refer to a guide, it's usually before I start playing just to check if there are any difficulty trophies so I can start my playthrough on the right setting or to see if there are any missable trophies so that I don't have to replay just because I missed one trophy. After that, I pretty much get everything on my own.

I have occasionally referred back to a guide for collectables (Mafia 2 comes to mind), but I like to just earn everything with as little help as possible. I do, however, refer to the trophy lists quite often to see what the hidden trophies are.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

Dare da Musically Strange

Depends on the game.

When I need help on a specific trophy, I use a trophy guide to help me. I only earned maybe one or two plats out of my 24 (soon to be another) that I didn't use a trophy guide, one of them being inFamous 2.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.14
    My Trophy Checklist.

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 1
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 6 - Silver

I usually "complete" a game, so its campaign, main storyline, etc, etc, before i consider consulting a guide, and usually get quite a few trophies along the way as I tend to do everything in a game and try all the new features. After all this ill check the trophies and try to do them based on their description and only if I cant complete them then will I read the guide.
    However for collectables I usually just consult the guide or YouTube the locations.

I will admit though that every game that is released or releasing soon I read the trophy list as soon as possible so I usually have an idea of the trophies from the onset.

El Campeador

I use the guide on certain trophies (missable, collectiable), but try to earn the others without using the guide!

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol| xEl_Cidx's La Conquista | xEl_Cidx's recent Gaming Activities+ Boosting
    xEl_Cidx's Battle of the Sexes - Round 43 just started

Angel of Death

I look at the roadmap. If there are collectibles or missable trophies, I'll keep the guide close.

Galaxy beauty pirate

I mostly only look at the guide for missable trophies or if I'm really stuck somewhere. That's probably why I take so long to finish a game. I rather do a long about finishing a game and have the feeling I did it at my own mostly, than follow a guide or roadmap the whole way through.
    Sig by Ramon

Lvl 11 - Elite

Usually just for collectibles or maps and trophies, and most of the time after I beat the game to avoid spoilers.

Its plugged into the wall

I start off the game by looking on the guide and see if there are any missable trophies or some collectables or something else of note. If there is I follow the guide on those two or three things. Then I play the game, and then I use the guide to get the last missing trophies.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Up the Irons!

I would say I use a guide more often than not, mainly because I like being efficient.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Legalize it...

I always check the roadmap for missable trophies first. But, for collectables it depends on the game. Like right now in NFS: MW I was able to find everything except a few gates on my own, cause it was just like Burnout. But, when I couldnt find those last 4 gates, I used a guide...

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

Well i like to try and get them on my own first. The only time i use guides are if i've tried everything and i still can't get the trophy and if there are hidden trophies i can't figure out.
    "Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life." -Stephen King

♚ Overlord ♔

I look up a roadmap and guide before I even buy the game lol

Inactive

I try to go after a trophy by my own but if I fail I go straight to the guide and do what it says. I always use guides though, I just feel like I'm doing everything right when I use it.

| YouTube Channel | GDT Comp Banner by djunglist |

Lvl 4 - Silver

I would say this site has got me pretty dependent on guides.... Lol..... I play through a game for fun first but if I find out there are collectible trophies I go rite to a guide on my next play-through ..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by percy View Post
    I need to look at the trophy guide to see how to get every trophy. Most time I need to look at the guide 3 times just make sure I'm doing everything right.
    This. I hate the thought of banging my head against a wall when there's a better way of getting something accomplished. Oh, and for collectibles? Forget it.

Latest Platinum: Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (PSV)
    Next Platinum: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale
    Twitter: @JEWombat

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I usually look to see if there's any missable or annoyingly hard online trophies, and then to see if there's any particular spot in a game I need to be in order to do a trophy more easily, otherwise I normally give it a go on my own. When there's really annoying collectibles i'll give it abit of time on my own before I break down and use it for the rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast