Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Am I done with videogames?

This is a discussion on Am I done with videogames? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I had a similar problem. I don't think it was gaming in general. It was the sense of no achievement ...

ლ(ಠдಠლ)

I had a similar problem. I don't think it was gaming in general. It was the sense of no achievement even if you played. Especially with grinding games, it seems like you put so much effort into it and you seem to be achieving nothing. You put yourself under pressure and forget the 'fun' part of it.

My advice:

1. Play other games *JUST* for the sake of playing/having fun, if you can't do that,
    2. Do something else where you achieve something, or have a sense of achievement. It can be anything - cleaning your room, sorting out something in real life that needed sorting, make a big sale, help the community etc. If you're too busy:
    3. Go out and relax, hang out with friends, have a drink, watch a movie, pamper yourself, go to the beach - you get the idea.

You'll get your gaming/trophy hunting appetite soon enough. It's just a phase

PRO Member

Just try playing them for fun instead of doing grinding trophies like treasure hunter or noosing. Those throphies are enough to send anyone insane

Lvl 9 - Gold

If you're fatigued man, the best thing you could do is take a break for a while, as many people have suggested. Especially if you've been relentlessly grinding one or two specific trophies for the last while.

Take a break - 2 weeks, a month, whatever you feel like - and when you decide to come back, then either play a game without trophies, or play one in which you've already earned all the trophies. That way, you can just play the game without needing to concern yourself with trophy requirements. Do this for maybe 2 games, and by the time you're done, you should know whether or not you're ready to pick up where you left off.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by SkinnZero68 View Post
    hello everyone! recently I felt something really shocking: Not having pleasure playing videogames! About two months ago, I start feeling a lost of interest on getting trophies (at that time I was working on Final Fantasy XIII and Red Dead Redemption plats) I was SO decided to get them! but, suddenly, the interest on that goal started to decrease.

The worst part came to me about a week ago: I got Mortal Kombat (Kollector's Edition, BTW) and started playing it. Awesome game! but started to feel no fun at all. "Damn, I didn't like it" I thought, and began playing something else. The sensation didn't change at all!

I'm not a kid anymore, I'm 28 years old, dentist. Maybe the magic is gone for me... Or could it be something temporary? Any of you have felt something similar at any moment?
    how often do you play? if you play everyday its just that you got very most used to them take some time off it works for me

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm in my mid 30's.

Love my c64 > amiga > ps1 but then never played anything for 8 or 9 years, except for a bit of civilization and football manager on the pc.

ps2/xbox games are a lost world to me, but i picked up a few new hobbies instead.

a pal gave me his old gamecube in 2009 and the old drug kicked right back in.

A plat a month!

There has been a few times I've gotten a bit fatigued from gaming, and a long hiatus was taken. However I had other things occupy my times not gaming.

But since the PS3 was released, I have taken on some major life changes, such as getting married and having a kid. Since then though, I've had less opportunities to do other things, so since I only have a few hours to do what I want, and getting away from the house doesn't happen often, I've had no "fatigue spells"

What helps too is having a variety of games. I have about 17 games I'm working on now. I've got them on a rotation, so it doesn't get old fast.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by mentalgear View Post
    im sought ta going threw the same thing atm i just dont know what to play
    Is English your first language?

Lvl 2 - Bronze

What if the game didn't manage to keep your interest? After all these games you have probably played, I think you must try something else, a new experience, because playing similar games becomes boring and reapeting...

It has happened to me as well but I am pretty sure it was because of the game. If it is actually a good game, I'm going to enjoy it. If it's not, I'll get bored... It's obvious actually
    Awesome signature made by Athena

PRO Member

You need a break from hunting for a while i Have been in your shoes and sadly im starting to feel the same again lol. Just need a break away from it all. For me i think it was grinding for the ACB plat that made me lose interest but in a week or 2 it'l more than prob come back just take a break. Also FF13 is one of the games that makes me lose the will to live out of all the FF's IMO its the worsed stay away till you feel better about your gaming.

Sig by: DaRe_xLw Avy by: Dsluckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Call it a "rest period". Sometimes I'm not able to play for an extended period of time to due to work/school/whatever.

Everyone Loves Candy

I think it may be a temporary thing. I play with people who range from 23-40(5). Some of them even have kids. Sooner or later a game/s will come out and you'll like it and want to play it. Take a break. Nothing fun at the moment just a waiting period.
    Hi Mom!

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm a bit older than you so I can easily tell you it's not your age. I think you just burned yourself out with all the trophy hunting you did. I played FF13 so I know how long that takes to achieve the trophies. I think if you just take a little break for a while then you'll start liking games again. And if you don't, then you don't. People's tastes do change. I play games to relax. While I like getting trophies, I don't worry about going for that plat if it's not going to be any fun doing.

PRO Member

I felt that lately 2 mate coz I already got bored all of my games but soon will be releasing awesome games like UC3 so till then the gaming's magic will be back xD

Lvl 3 - Bronze

well, it looks like all of u guys were right. It was about ten days without playing before starting this thread, and a week after that, so my break was a little bit more than 2 weeks, and I feel almost "recovered" and that's awesome! The conclusion could be that grinding trophies is not a smart move if you wanna keep sane and keep liking videogames!

Lvl 7 - Gold

what you can do is stop gaming for a while and then try again you see that you start enjoying it again

On a Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by goldberg_malta View Post
    what you can do is stop gaming for a while and then try again you see that you start enjoying it again
    I had this problem too, I did as Goldberg said and it was "healed"
    Just try a MMORPG, it will help you because they're pretty different for the usual games, and allways there are new things

Awesome avy & sig made by In2
    Rep him if you like them!

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I am currently going through this phase as well & I hate it. I don't know why. But I just can't sit down & knock out hours on top of hours like usual. I've been gaming for 10+ years. I think the best cure is to take a break. (Which is what I am doing now) or play games at a "casual gamer" rate. I mean I just bought GOW: Origins on release & dare I say I just completed all of it yesterday.. I was popping the game in once a week.. I'm only into Madden right now cause of football season but even that I am probably playing two games a week in that as well.. I don't know maybe it's cause I'm to stressed on getting a life first. I got out of H.S in June 2010 & I'm still sitting around.. again idk.. but I hope gaming doesn't leave my life fully.

Lvl 5 - Silver

ive been having this problem trying to finish every game on the hardest difficulty which is just fustrating
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This has happened to me .. I usually just turn the system off and don't play anything else on it for a couple months. Then I start back up and that rush feeling is back. I found that the Android OS took my interest while I was breaking from gaming..made it so much more when I came back to the system

Lvl 3 - Bronze

the same thing happens to me when i have a lot of games on my mind that i want to play i just get overwhelmed and end up getting real bored usually my cure for that is to get some play time on the games on my mind and i'm back to normal

Plat Card by Wadefan1 Avatar by Chambers35

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast