Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Am I done with videogames?

This is a discussion on Am I done with videogames? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; hello everyone! recently I felt something really shocking: Not having pleasure playing videogames! About two months ago, I start feeling ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Am I done with videogames?

hello everyone! recently I felt something really shocking: Not having pleasure playing videogames! About two months ago, I start feeling a lost of interest on getting trophies (at that time I was working on Final Fantasy XIII and Red Dead Redemption plats) I was SO decided to get them! but, suddenly, the interest on that goal started to decrease.

The worst part came to me about a week ago: I got Mortal Kombat (Kollector's Edition, BTW) and started playing it. Awesome game! but started to feel no fun at all. "Damn, I didn't like it" I thought, and began playing something else. The sensation didn't change at all!

I'm not a kid anymore, I'm 28 years old, dentist. Maybe the magic is gone for me... Or could it be something temporary? Any of you have felt something similar at any moment?

Lvl 6 - Silver

Maybe you need to try a new genre of games, to refresh your perspective on video games in general. Although I haven't experienced a situation similar to yours, I may also suggest taking a break from video games for a while and come back to it later to see if you really find gaming to be no fun at all. Hopefully you change your point of view because its not fun at all to see a fellow gamer lose interest in gaming, a hobby they once loved.
    MyAnimeList: Killermachine252 | Sword Art Online <3
    Expand Platcard to see my entire Sword Art Online signature below it

Game on....

Gaming for me is a stress reliever and something i have always enjoyed. Instead of watching TV, i will play games which could be considered a hobby. I do sometimes ask myself if im just wasting my time playing videogames but i enjoy playing games so its not a waste of time in my opinion. If you aren't enjoying playing games, then stop playing. Im also 28 years old and i can't say i have ever thought like you have about games in my lifetime. It could be the amount of time you are playing for? Maybe you should take a long break from gaming and sometime in the future decide to play again.

Have a great day

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

Yup, gaming fatigue pretty much.

Only suggestion I have is try something different, play a different genre that you thought you wouldn't like or just take a gaming break period and come back to it at a later stage.

Another factor could be the trophy hunting aspect, I find it more common to see people end up with your problem because they grind trophies non-stop and after awhile they don't play games for fun anymore and don't realise it untill this kind of thing happens.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Lvl 6 - Silver

I'm sure it will pass. It usually happens to me when there is a game I'm super excited about and nothing else seems fun. I'm currently feeling this while waiting for the new Batman game. And it happens from time to time as well outside of waiting for games. Do something else for a while, you fun will return
    Batman Arkham Asylum l Batman Arkham City l Bioshock l Borderlands l GoW: Chains of Olympus l God of War
    GoW: Ghost of Sparta l God of War II l God of War III l InFamous l Killzone l Killzone 3 l LEGO Batman 2 l LEGO LotR
    LittleBigPlanet l LittleBigPlanet Vita l Plants Vs. Zombies Vita l PS All-Stars Vita l R&C: Going Commando
    R&C: Up Your Arsenal l R&C: A Crack in Time l R&C: All4One l R&C: Full Frontal Assault l Resistance: Burning Skies
    The Walking Dead l Trine 2 l Uncharted: Golden Abyss

BZA
    Lvl 2 - Bronze

i think is something temporary, maybe you just need a break and wait for a game, are you looking forward for a release?

Lvl 5 - Silver

You should go for some non-violent games, you being a dentist and all

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Maybe it was caused by playing fucking Hangman's NOOSE once and again and again, or killing Adamantortoises without stopping, but yes...your theories seems to be right! feels like gaming fatigue...

About new releases, I was waiting for Batman Arkham City and Street Fighter x Tekken, but at this time I fell like I wouldn't care even if those games were on my shelf right know (Fuck, I cannot believe I'm writing such a thing! )

I'll clean my PS3 and store it for some days. After that, I will play something soft, probably without trophies (I have an unpacked copy of Folklore, could start with that) Hopefully the charm will return. Thanks 4 your advices folks

Mista J

i take breaks sometimes when i feel burnt out. I just go do something else for a week or two and by then i will fire back up the ps3 and im good to go again.

Awesome Sig by:Beam|Aka bar by:Athena
    Gifts From Friends:
    Alison | Beam & Kid | TG09

Check out the shop- Deja View Sigs

Lvl 7 - Gold

I have that sometimes man, when that happens I just take a break from gaming (I mean it's not like I'm giving away my console or anything right? I can pick it up whenever I feel like it!) Usually after reading a book or two, or having a week-long movie marathon (not one right after another of course, lol) I feel like I can play again!

And it happens pretty frequently too, like once every 2-3 months. It happened for individual games too, for instance, inFamous was 4th game I bought for my ps3, and played thru about 75% (good ending + half of evil game) and then kinda phased out. But when I picked it up again in 2-3 months I couldn't play anything else till I got the plat!

So my advice - don't give up on gaming... Just give it a break from you, and give yourself a break from it it will be waiting for you, and it will be just as exciting as you remember it, once you decide that it's time to pick it up again.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

maybe you should try giving it up for a bit... I mean if you've stopped enjoying it then there's no point carrying on; it's supposed to be something fun!

I imagine that after a week or two, you'll almost certainly find that you fancy playing on something.
    Check out my awesome trophy checklist: Platinum Display Cabinet - by schlittmehr

sig by Auburn

PRO Member

Happens to all of us at some point in time, like all others have said so far take a well deserved break. Do something other than hunting trophies, I notice I get like this when playing only for trophies for me I'm after the Star Ocean plat, I finished the game started grinding out some of the in game trophies and got bored of it after an hour.

You could also play a game purely for fun and ignore the trophies, pick up a PC or something handheld and just take it easy for a bit then come back all refreshed and relaxed, crack open that beer and pick up were you left off and bring back the fun factor of trophy hunting.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

This might sound horribly sad but I had something like this after completing MGS4. For a few months nothing I played was good enough anymore, so I just stopped playing lol.

But yeh, i think everyone needs a break from trophy hunting, like I'm damn sure gonna stop whenever I get FIFA 12 through the post! There's a point when it isn't fun, for example the FFXIII plat is one of the most boring to grind to. If you do take a break I wouldn't go for too long tho cos there's some insane game coming out soon!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I felt exactly like this myself as well, and I still somewhat am. For example, when we got to download 2 games from the "Welcome Back" problem, I downloaded Wipepout HD and inFamous, but I only played them for a couple hours and never got back to playing them again. They aren't bad games... but I just lost interest in getting the trophies. I recently got a racing game, on the other hand, and I think I'm gaining my interest back again.
    PS3Trophies - Member Since January 2010

Currently Playing: CoD 5 - World at War & Uncharted 2

Lvl 4 - Silver

im sought ta going threw the same thing atm i just dont know what to play

platbar and sig by wadefan1

Lvl 3 - Bronze

mmmmm...thanks for your suggestions! they all seem to be pretty logical. No more trophies, no more games for about two weeks or so an we'll see. Thank you very much

Lvl 6 - Silver

take a break. ive been trophy huntin since 2009 (diffrent accounts) but i wont stop trophy hunting
    I still play Black Ops because me and brother have 2 PS3's and share a copy of Modern Warfare 3. So that is why I play it sometimes. Thats the *ONLY* time I play Black Ops! When brother is not playing MW3, I am!

Buy my book, Alteration

Maybe you need a break? You should probably try some different genres to freshen up your gaming lifestyle. Maybe try gaming at different times in the day. Shake it up a bit, you know?

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Ghost Assassin

Yep, I agree with the diagnosis; Gaming fatigue. I can remember a few threads about it on the old site. The usual prescription is to either ignore trophy hunting and just focus on having fun or take some time off to do other things. Eventually, you may feel as though you want to go back, especially with all the games coming out this fall. If it still doesn't help repeat the process, but if you still don't feel like you want to play, then maybe it's over for you. One last thing, you can also try gaming with friends, maybe you'll feel like you want to play then. Good luck!

Lvl 9 - Gold

i think you just need to take a break on vacationg maybe. when i fell im done with gaming i will buy a new game

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast