Video Out Problems.

This is a discussion on Video Out Problems. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; SO here is the order of events. Switched on my PS3. Took out my battlefield 3 and put in Rayman ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Video Out Problems.

SO here is the order of events.
    Switched on my PS3. Took out my battlefield 3 and put in Rayman Origins.
    Started playing with a friend on offline co-op.
    After 45 minutes of running smoothly the display just went blank.
    Got scared and switched off and on my PS3.. Took out my Rayman disc... still blank.
    Then i (for the first time in my life) connected it to the TV through the component cable (i hope thats what it is called.. the 1 with 3 wires on 1 side)
    I did the 2 beep thingy by holding down the power button to o avail on the HDMI output. I like a true gamer have 2 HDMI cables. Both are running fine with external laptop but niether able to display PS3. I am hearing the sounds but no display whatsoever.
    went into video settings and now i can only run PS3 with 576p through HDMI on 16:9 aspect ratio.
    Can someone please help me narrow down the problem? Or maybe guide me on what and how to go about trouble shooting.
    I have a Sony KDL40ex700 TV and a PS3 320 gb slim model.
    Also I dont have a really big External Hard disc and not a plus subscriber. I want to backup all my games which are coming to 195 gb. I want to have all the saves atleast so that i dont lose any progress suppose the PS3 dies out on me. Is Saving the game saves enough on a pen drive or do i also need to backup the game utilities. I think not but please correct me if I am wrong. I am in PANIC MODE
    Thanx in advance

illegal in 9 countries

The video signal issue could be one of three things -

1) the HDMI port on the TV. Try a different port.
    2) the HDMI port on your PS3.
    3) the HDMI cable. Try a different cable.

I've heard of PS3 HDMI ports dying completely, I've had one myself, but not restricting signal output to a lower resolution. I'm tending towards a TV HDMI port issue because when my PS3 port died, it crackled, fizzed and popped (no sound, but you get the idea) rather than reducing the output to a low-res.

I think you're best bet is to search on Google for similar symptoms, you might find your answer. Or give Sony a call re: either the PS3 or TV.

For your game saves, just bang in a USB flash drive and copy them onto that, don't back up the whole PS3. Backing up 200GB of data is likely to fail on either backup or restore...I highly recommend against it.

There are some save game files that are copy-protected, so copying onto USB is not an option. In that case, use your PS+ storage. Given we now have 1GB of PS+ online storage, you could easily copy all game saves there and your arse is covered.

Negator

Sounds like the port on the TV to me, or just a loose connection at either end of the HDMI cable.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Lvl 5 - Silver

I've had this problem before for the longest time. One day I decided to buy a dust cleaner or whatever their called. They're used for cleaning pc's but they also work with the ps3. Never had a problem ever since

Try cleaning the HDMI port with it and get all the dust out. If that doesn't work then it might be your PlayStation. Try using the same cables on other devices to make sure its not the cables, try using another ps3 if you can

Lvl 1 - Bronze

thanx for quick replies.. i do have 2 cables.. so yes i did try 2 cables and 2 ports.. I could however get it to work on 576p output thru hdmi.. it was better than the composite cable.. Luckily i had insured my PS3 and now my insurance company is sending the PS3 for replacement.. So well now I have been asked to wait for 20-25 days.. OMG how do I do that?
    My HDMI cables are working with my Laptop without issues.. I also took it to my local gaming store (the owner and I have become good friends) and even with his TV and HDMI things did not work out well.
    And about the online storage.. Sadly i cant buy US PSN cards since i dont live there and local dealers dont have those cards.. So well apart from a few games (mostly completed) i got saves on my Pen Drive.. Lets hope when the new system arrives I can restore those with ease..
    I have requested them for the older slim and not the super slim since kinda find it too plasticy. The weight and dimensions dont trouble me since i dont have to carry it anywhere.. Moreover I remember buying a PS2 slim with the top cover.. I had to put 2 books on top of the slot just to avoid it opening everytime..

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by BhoootZ View Post
    And about the online storage.. Sadly i cant buy US PSN cards since i dont live there and local dealers dont have those cards.
    Sorry, I misread the bit about PS+, I thought you had it.

You can buy US PSN cards here - PC Game Supply - Game Cards, Xbox, Playstation, iTunes Online.