Your Highs and Lows of Gaming in 2012

This is a discussion on Your Highs and Lows of Gaming in 2012 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Simple enough, state the high points and the low ones in regard to videogames during the year gone past. For ...

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Your Highs and Lows of Gaming in 2012

Simple enough, state the high points and the low ones in regard to videogames during the year gone past.

For example, mine are.....

+ Borderlands 2 delivered as a sequel and added a dollop of awesome on top
    + Journey caught me completely off guard to become one of my favourite gaming experiences ever.
    + SEGA showed they could still bring it with Binary Domain
    + Jak and Daxter TPL was as fun in HD remake mode as it was over a decade ago
    + I got Ten Platinums in 2012, i had just two before that

- Devil May Cry HD was a shadow of it's formerly grandiose self
    - Resident Evil: Operation Racoon City was worse than i could have dreamed
    - The Darkness II Plat went from easy to maddening on the last two trophies, i have yet to attempt those final two trophies since.
    - Skyrim DLC no showing and the general handling of the whole mess on PS3 was a shame after finishing the best game in years.
    - Jak II wasn't as great as i remember.
    - Metal Gear Solid 4 was sullied by Trophies long after i had put in the effort required to get them ( See also, every Metal Gear game with Trophies to date ).

Now, share with me people, maybe there is a free Lollipop in it for you.

Lord of all Goat-Men

+ Journey. 'nuff said.
    + The Walking Dead - a new and refreshing approach to the genre, with an enthralling narrative.
    + The above two titles gave me the push I needed to try out smaller and indie titles like Deadlight and Mark of the Ninja, as well as revisit some classics like Grim Fandango
    + Borderlands 2 - MOAR LOOT. Also the amazing support on release from Gearbox: the Shift Codes, the DLC and the Updates.
    + Need for Speed: Most Wanted - I haven't been interested in Arcade Racers since the original in 2005, but this game was just so damn fun - the cars, the destruction, the soundtrack.
    + Assassin's Creed III - while maybe not the best of the series, I really enjoyed it. Spent almost 60hrs finishing SP instead of studying for exams
    + Far Cry 3 - I've never been one for open world/sandbox games - I get overwhelmed by the freedom and cease to function. Far Cry 3 changed that.
    + PlayStation Plus - Had some nice stuff throughout the year.
    + Australia finally got its shit together and passed legislation for an R18+ video game rating, effective as of 2013.

- Launch of the Wii U - I'd prefer if it just didn't exist.
    - Nintendo's E3 presentation stole 90 minutes of my life that I will never get back.
    - More Skyrim fail. Seriously, fuck you Bethesda.
    - SSX - Just the announcement of this game instilled a strong feeling of nostalgia in me, but the end result was just not as fun as I remember.
    - Resident Evil 6 fell flat on its ass-face - what a miserable excuse for a game.
    - Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City - I had high hopes for this one, pity it was AIDS.
    - Yet another Call of Duty released - the ridiculous sales only serve to ensure more entries into the series and the perpetuation of mediocrity.
    - The end of 38 Studios and Big Huge Games - Kingdom's of Amalur was a fun RPG, and it's a shame we won't see more. Also that people got fired
    - THQ's bankruptcy - putting a bunch of great IPs in jeopardy, namely Company of Heroes, and Games Workshop related titles (Dawn of War).
    - Politicians and the Media blaming the acts of assholes and the mentally ill on gamers was a strong theme this year; because addressing the real issues would be bad politics in an election year.
    - Still no sign of Half-Life 3.
    - Still no next-gen consoles.
    Last edited by Faust; 01-12-2013 at 11:31 PM.

illegal in 9 countries

Highs

+ Mass Effect trilogy. Fucking loved every minute of it, even the ending of ME3...well...maybe not the Mako side-quest grind.
    + Steam Box rumours. Goodbye expensive PC gaming rigs...for good.
    + PS4 rumours. Wearable display / HUD / augmented reality glasses.
    + Backing over a dozen Kickstarter video game campaigns.
    + Buying whatever games & gadgets caught my eye, completely guilt-free. My wife accepts my love of gaming and has never made a fuss over it.
    + Birth of child #3. Gotta prop up the girl gamer stocks.
    + Playing Skylanders with the other 2 kids. It's the first game I've let my now 3 year old son play and he got the hang of a dual-analog controller within an hour.
    + Creating a well-received checklist. I haven't directly created anything in years. It was nice to get the juices flowing again.

Lows

- Attempting to play any RGP post-Mass Effect. I've been ruined for other games...
    - Only having the time to play games in the dead of night when I should be sleeping.
    - second PS3 dies of YLoD. With 3 hassle-free Slims in the house, I'm considering selling my launch Fat 60 before the PS4 lands.
    - Small Vita game catalogue. Great hardware, needs more games.
    - Wii U's disappointing specs, weak first-party launch titles and poor third-party dev support. It'll be dead in 2 years.
    - 720 rumours. Wall projector seems like a wank.
    - Buying 6 new mice and still yet to find the perfect gaming mouse for a lefty.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Highs:
    I got my 10th plat.
    Jak & Daxter's collection was a blast to replay in HD.
    Ratchet & Clank's collection was a blast to replay in HD.

Lows:
    Tomb Raider was pushed back to 2013.
    Sly Cooper 4 was pushed back to 2013.
    I didn't have enough time in my days to play as much as I wanted to.

Overall:
    Great gaming year!

Lvl 7 - Gold

Highs: Dishonored. After a year with many sequels this Ip wa such a blast to play and is my 2012 GOTY
    Assassins Creed 3 even though it was not still as good a Ac2 but it was still fun.

Lows: Had major exams this year do my parents banned me from last year November to this year November. So only had 2 months to play this year. In that time had to rush to finish and plat my backlog of games. Still have some more games to play and plat
    no money and my parents refuse to get me any new games so can't get Fc3 and walking dead till a later date
    Bioshock infinite being postponed to 2013

Platinum Procrastinator

Highs:

- Getting and finishing The Walking Dead.
    - Getting and playing through Journey. Such an awesome game.
    - Going back and finishing off all of the DLC trophies for Red Dead Redemption, bringing me up to 100%.
    - Winning 2nd place in the 4th Annual End of Year awards for my PSN MTG 2013 guide.

Lows:

- Not going back and finishing off the Uncharted 2 DLC trophies.
    - Not earning my original goal of 75 platinum trophies.
    - Watching DragonWolf blow past me in trophy level and total platinum trophies
    - Not getting Bioshock Infinite in 2012.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Highs:
    -Going from 10 plats to 44 plats in one year.
    -Some great surprises like Spec Ops the Line and The Darkness 2.
    -The power of the PSVita(Just wish it had more games)

Lows:
    -Resident Evil 6 and Resident Evil Operation Racoon City were very disappointing.
    -The Resistance series may be over due to poor sales of Resistance 3 which was such a great game.

PRO Member

Highs:
    - I played many new and different games. Branched out a little bit.
    - Earned my 20th platinum
    - Got my wife into playing games more often

Lows:
    - I hadn't played games over a 4 month period
    - Only 3 plats
    - Still waiting for the successor to the PS3
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 7 - Gold

Highs:

- How amazing Journey was.
    - Catching up on my huge backlog.
    - Got a Vita
    - Australia finally getting R18+

- MAx Payne 3, what a disgrace.
    - COD still being popular.
    - THQ going bankrupt.
    - Rockstar declining a Sons of Anarchy game

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

The One and Only

Highs

+ Making music in LBP2, definitely a high
    + Playing the Jak and Daxter Collection and the Ratchet and Clank Collection.
    + Playing Skyrim for the first half of the year and getting the platinum in the middle of the year.
    + Earning 9 platinums
    + Getting a Vita
    + Starting Fallout 3
    + (PS2) buying Midnight Club 1 and reliving the memories of the entire series excluding MC: Los Angeles.
    + Buying PS+ and using it to my advantage over the time it lasted.

Lows

- Buying and playing Battlefield 3
    - Procrastination in playing video games
    - Playing MW3

Not too many lows last year.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Highs
    - First 3 plats.
    - Legend of Dragoon on PSN finally.
    - Buying the Vita.
    - Girlfriend buying a Vita.
    - Finally getting around to playing Mortal Kombat 2011.
    - Being able to say that I have beaten every single Metal Gear game that is canonical.
    - Adding a Sega GameGear to my collection of classic systems for the idiotic price of 10 bucks with games and case.
    - Importing Gundam Extreme Vs.

Lows
    - Buying WWE13 for 60 bucks brand new for the plat and not being able to get it due to ranking reset bugs.
    - Standing in line for WWE13 in gamestop since it came out the same day as AC3.
    - Hideo Kojima not getting Metal Gear Portable OPs on the vita for NA.
    - Getting so frustrated with dieing just before a check point that I gave up on the plat for terminator salvation.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

My highs for the year just gone would be

1: Being introduced to Borderlands
    2: Being able to get all these new mint games like Borderlands 2, AC3, Darkness 2
    3: Getting a white ps3
    4: Having some cool collector editions with figurines

Lows for me

1: Not getting walking dead released in nz
    2: Not getting as many platinums as i would like (although so far in 2013 i have 3 new ones)
    3: Resident Evil being a big let down
    4: South Park being bumped back till 2013
    Mint sig by In2 & Mint Avy by Abstract

Deathless Destroyer

Highs

First in early 2012 after just over 5 years (November 2006 - present).

19 owned PS3 games with last game bought at Christmas (Crysis 2), at the end of 2011 I was at..12 I think (7 new games, with some help from my uncle).

Played quite a few extremely fun games including Street Fighter IV, GT5 and a few others.

Nintendo Wii U being worse than consoles released in 06'

Lows

Original 60GB PS3 since November 2006 YLOD'd September 2012 - good part is I had an excuse to open my boxed 120GB slim I had since mid-2011.

Had to break open my 60GB's BluRay drive to retrieve a disc stuck inside - not a very peaceful death for the PS3.

Call of Duty MW3 being a real letdown as expected (bought in early 2012) - on original 60GB though.

No sign of the PS4 apart from unclear rumours.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Rangers F.C

My high was getting to finish off the Mass Effect trilogy , it may have been a poor ending but I never even noticed until it was pointed out to me lol , my low was still not getting to play my DLC for Skyrim , I have clocked up hundreds of hours on several different characters and I am now becoming bored with the game , give me my DLC Bethesda
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Highs

+ Mass Effect trilogy. Fucking loved every minute of it, even the ending of ME3...well...maybe not the Mako side-quest grind.
    + Steam Box rumours. Goodbye expensive PC gaming rigs...for good.
    + PS4 rumours. Wearable display / HUD / augmented reality glasses.
    + Backing over a dozen Kickstarter video game campaigns.
    + Buying whatever games & gadgets caught my eye, completely guilt-free. My wife accepts my love of gaming and has never made a fuss over it.
    + Birth of child #3. Gotta prop up the girl gamer stocks.
    + Playing Skylanders with the other 2 kids. It's the first game I've let my now 3 year old son play and he got the hang of a dual-analog controller within an hour.
    + Creating a well-received checklist. I haven't directly created anything in years. It was nice to get the juices flowing again.

Lows

- Attempting to play any RGP post-Mass Effect. I've been ruined for other games...
    - Only having the time to play games in the dead of night when I should be sleeping.
    - second PS3 dies of YLoD. With 3 hassle-free Slims in the house, I'm considering selling my launch Fat 60 before the PS4 lands.
    - Small Vita game catalogue. Great hardware, needs more games.
    - Wii U's disappointing specs, weak first-party launch titles and poor third-party dev support. It'll be dead in 2 years.
    - 720 rumours. Wall projector seems like a wank.
    - Buying 6 new mice and still yet to find the perfect gaming mouse for a lefty.
    Never knew about this , tell me more lol
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 9 - Gold

HIGHS

+ Journey
    + Scoring the C&C: Red Alert 3 platinum. Took me over a year to finally earn it!
    + Discovering and platting Borderlands. Very fun and engaging game with a unique visual style.
    + Getting a multitude of great games from PS+ - Just Cause 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Trine 2, Crysis1 & 2, and more.
    + Buying the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, replaying those excellent games again........ oh, and getting the case autographed by Paul Eiding and Michael Bell!
    + Earning 16 platinums.
    + Learning that there were in fact THREE new MGS games on the way!

LOWS

- Increasing my backlog by a substantial amount due to PS+!
    - Not being able to afford a Vita due to its hefty price tag.
    - Missing out on the 2nd bonus XP weekend for Transformers FOC, which would have allowed me to finish the online grind!
    - Not making more of an effort to finish GTA's Wanted grind by the end of 2012.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Highs
    Far cry 3
    Hitman absolution and news of the HD trilogy
    finishing the year strongly with five plats in like a week (give or take) after not getting one since april ish
    completing tre cools drum lessons in green day rock band SO PROUD
    BUT BY FAR THE BEST HIGH is GTA5s second trailer and estimated release date with all the screen shots

Lows
    Another CoD
    AC series officially ruined
    Not being able to plat green day rock band, just not good enough and never will be
    THE NOOSH
    BABAGANOOSH08