Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you think developers care if their games get platted?

This is a discussion on Do you think developers care if their games get platted? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; They may care, but odds are most don't care all that much, as long as somebody buys their game and ...

Platinum Dohvakiin

They may care, but odds are most don't care all that much, as long as somebody buys their game and the get paid. This is a business and they are in it to make money. gamers obtaining Platimuns or a 1,000 Gamer Score, is probably somewhere near the bottom of their list of priorities.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

Lvl 7 - Gold

It's most likely on a case by case basis. The developers that have a gamer's perspective like THQ and Rockstar probably put a lot more thought into their trophy lists that big money machines like EA and Activision. I feel that replayablility just to get more trophies doesn't help gaming companies as much as making a solid game to get more retail sales. Once I buy a game, they've gotten their money, so why would they care if I play it for a week or 3 months? I also feel like some companies use our love of trophies against us so people will buy online passes and DLC. You can always tell which devs give a shit by the trophy lists and trophy images. RDR, for instance was well-thought out and creative which tells me that they are gamers and they want us to enjoy the game and the trophy huinting.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Jaggy2872 View Post
    Like the question asks, do you think some developers care? I'm not saying that they skip out on making a great game or anything, but do you think they ever purposely put in some trophies so that their games are extremely difficult to plat?

Some trophies like the weekly honors on Killzone 2, Beat Zico in Wipeout HD and Bladder of Steel off Rock Band 2 just seem like legitimate attempts to hinder the gaining of platinums.
    Interesting topic.

I dont really think they put those trophies to make a plat hard. To me it feels like they dont know their own limitations. They put hard trophies in, thinking that they will just be difficult, when the gamer community can see its borderline immposible. On some degree they dont want to make a plat too easy, but i also dont think they understand what a turn off it is to beat 99% of the trophies just to be hindered by a trophy with unreasonable requirments.

So to conclude and restate my opinion, the developers arnt doing this on purpose, but they seem to have lost touch on what the gamers want.

Quote Originally Posted by juliuspleezer View Post
    It's most likely on a case by case basis. The developers that have a gamer's perspective like THQ and Rockstar probably put a lot more thought into their trophy lists that big money machines like EA and Activision. I feel that replayablility just to get more trophies doesn't help gaming companies as much as making a solid game to get more retail sales. Once I buy a game, they've gotten their money, so why would they care if I play it for a week or 3 months? I also feel like some companies use our love of trophies against us so people will buy online passes and DLC. You can always tell which devs give a shit by the trophy lists and trophy images. RDR, for instance was well-thought out and creative which tells me that they are gamers and they want us to enjoy the game and the trophy huinting.
    Yes i agree. That was what i ment to write in my post.

Once the developer gets our money, they could care less if i play the game or not. They do use our obsession with trophies to get more money on DLC and stuff.

THis is the other point of view i forgot to mention. In the post above, i was going from a game player point of view, unlike this, which is a money point of view.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Any developers' main priority is in seeing their game get sold. I imagine that trophies, and the difficulty level of said trophies, is pretty low on their list of priorities. If you buy a brand-new game, and then get rid of it after only earning 1 or 2 of the trophies, the developer most likely won't be bothered, because you've already given them your money. If you don't like their game, then it's not really their problem.

Trophies are an added incentive to extend a game's lifespan by giving you targets to aim for that you probably would never attempt otherwise, and yes, they can work against the gamer sometimes, since devs know they can release a mediocre DLC instalment for a great game, tack some trophies onto it, and people will buy it regardless. Online trophies such as "get X-thousand kills" are designed to keep hardcore gamers playing that game for longer, so that they don't move on to another dev's game instead. If you can plat their game, great. If not, well the developer will be happy anyway knowing that you've invested your time into their game and not someone else's.

Think about it - have you ever heard of a developer congratulating gamers for platting a brutal game? I know I haven't. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just that it hasn't happened to my knowledge.

Ice Cream Firefighter

No I honestly don't think they do. Games like Megamind or Hannah Montana they might as well put a PSN code in the box for the trophies they really didn't care, then you got games like Spec Ops: The Line or Tony Hawk games which make you go so far above & beyond the limitations of the game, I don't think they cared either. Than finally you got developers like Ubisoft that blatantly to my face said they don't care about my trophy issues as it wasn't a priority for them to fix anytime soon. & finally you got games like NBA which shut their servers down & permanently stop you from acquiring it.

The only thing they care about is taking our money, topped off with DLC icing. It's all $$$$$$ for them. Period

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

I don't think they care ..Hell if I was them I wouldn't all I'd be saying is show me the money...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    Well i know EA doesn't give 2 shits about it.

Some companies use trophies to make their game sell/people playing it longer.

Easy platinums are always coming in now with new games... Why? Because it will sell.
    i think you are partially right in the fact of platinums here but when it comes to 100% EA is a bunch of assholes. i have dantes inferno and bought the trials of St. Lucia just so i could get the 100% since i already had the plat. but there is 1 trophy that only about 700 people have out of the 19000 or so that own the game. and the requirement for this trophy is completely insane.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by zomb13sith View Post
    i think you are partially right in the fact of platinums here but when it comes to 100% EA is a bunch of assholes. i have dantes inferno and bought the trials of St. Lucia just so i could get the 100% since i already had the plat. but there is 1 trophy that only about 700 people have out of the 19000 or so that own the game. and the requirement for this trophy is completely insane.
    Then again... there could be only 1000 people who actually tried for the DLC, if you get what i mean.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12