Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think developers care if their games get platted?

This is a discussion on Do you think developers care if their games get platted? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Like the question asks, do you think some developers care? I'm not saying that they skip out on making a ...

PRO Member

Do you think developers care if their games get platted?

Like the question asks, do you think some developers care? I'm not saying that they skip out on making a great game or anything, but do you think they ever purposely put in some trophies so that their games are extremely difficult to plat?

Some trophies like the weekly honors on Killzone 2, Beat Zico in Wipeout HD and Bladder of Steel off Rock Band 2 just seem like legitimate attempts to hinder the gaining of platinums.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

PRO Member

I guess most developers enjoy and play videogames themselves, so yeah, I think most of them do. Some do some don't but if I was one I'd care.

PRO Member

I think some do, purely because it makes people play their games longer...

Lvl 7 - Gold

Well i know EA doesn't give 2 shits about it.

Some companies use trophies to make their game sell/people playing it longer.

Easy platinums are always coming in now with new games... Why? Because it will sell.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

-i- love myself.

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    Well i know EA doesn't give 2 shits about it.

Some companies use trophies to make their game sell/people playing it longer.

Easy platinums are always coming in now with new games... Why? Because it will sell.
    I definitely agree with you.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Some may, some definitely don't. A big "who cares" company would be EA. Just look at any game with glitched trophies for a prolonged period of time. Those developers really don't care about trophies. I also believe Bethesda doesn't care about their PS3 players, trophies or otherwise.

MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE

PRO Member

I don't think they give a shit, if they do they have a funny way of showing it

No but seriously, I have noticed that trophies get more and more annoying.
    I'm not talking about challenging trophies.. I'm talking about the stupid ones. Like Bleach, it has some trophies that are just borng and very time consuming.

If anything these time consuming trophies makes us not want to go back and play the game after plat! They're trying to force the game on us with these time consuming trophies and they do more harm than good...

If the game is good then we will go back to it even if the trophies sucked, but sometimes spending hours grinding can make you see just how bad the game actually is, imo trophies are not what they used to be especially with pointless dlc trophies that keep coming out.

They care about making money, that is all.

Sig by Smashguy

Gotham's Reckoning

I doubt they do especially the companies like EA that add online trophies and then shut down the online a year or two later rendering the plat impossible to get.

You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push

Platbar By Wadefan

Sig By Apokolypz

PPS Bar By RaveNScythE18

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    I think some do, purely because it makes people play their games longer...
    Exactly what I was going to say. Hannah Montana is an easy plat, but I doubt most of you spent more than a day on that game.

Negator

Top-tier high profile game developers obviously want their games accessible with minimal to moderate effort. This is how they pay the bills, so they don't want a game the average person can't handle with reasonable skill/time invested into their product.

Sports game developers could obviously give a shit.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Venire, Videre, Vince

Some might while others don't, its the play ability that really wants to make a game good enoug to be a seller and have the devs $ to have a job.

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

Angel of Death

I feel like some go out of the way to make annoying trophies to make us work towards it. Others don't care. An example of a company caring (in my opinion) is Final Fantasy XIII. Square Enix did a good job with the trophies, and it looks like they actually put time into making them.

PRO Member

I would say that they probably care. It shows that we were willing to put a lot of time into their game.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 6 - Silver

Some developers care and some don't care if we platinum their games. They only care about someone buying their games and having fun playing them.

Platinum Procrastinator

I think most developers don't care but they should. I know if I was developing a game I'd but a lot of thought into it because I know it could potentially factor into the games sales. Just look at how many people have the Terminator Salvation platinum which is widely regarded as one of the worst games.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Korean Girl Group Groupie

What I wonder is if any of the people who are on the fiscal side have any say in the manner. Because there should be a target amount of time that you would like your customer to enjoy your product and I would think that some sort of formula might exist out there that involves game length, multiplayer, trophies, and general grievance code.

If I were a developer, I would try to make a trophy list that was straight forward enough, with a couple challenging trophies. If my game was on the short side, I would add non-stackable difficulty level trophies, but also I would enable unlockable bonuses that make those playthroughs less of a snore - maybe throw in new endings for each difficulty. As for multiplayer, that would be the kicker - I would probably make a max level trophy, and a win in each game type mode - that's it.

I would like to believe that a developer is attempting to make a trophy list that doesn't scare away gamers, but is also something that can't be done in 4-5 days so that renters have a harder time getting the trophy. I would want the list to be balanced enough so that people don't rush to trade it in and hurt my initial sales because they either breezed through the game, or found it too frustrating. If multiplayer is needed, I would make sure the damn servers were up to snuff so that people don't have a harder time with something we could fix, and I'd also enable a bot option so that people aren't so heavily reliant on other people to need multiplayer finished.

Now, this is what I would like to believe happens - but I doubt ever really ends up happening. I think developers are too busy with coding, red tape, and suits breathing down their necks asking if it's ready yet to give a seriously deep thought to trophies. I think trophies probably rate somewhere along the same lines of the font for the title, and with things like whether or not to add move support - as in not too high.

So I would have to say developers, in general, don't really put much if any thought into trophies. There are exceptions to that rule, but I don't know how much their overall end sales figures really depend on the trophy list. I would like to see more developers ask questions from the users like Ken Levine at Irrational, or David Jaffe did with Twisted Metal, but most developers are too busy meeting deadlines to care.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by gamelord-2007 View Post
    I doubt they do especially the companies like EA that add online trophies and then shut down the online a year or two later rendering the plat impossible to get.
    and scamming for money
    i've bought a game completely new from them (still in its packaging), and the online pass hasn't worked, they didn't even include a code
    Add me if you want (soulless94), as long as you don't randomly delete me for no reason
    If I randomly add you, it's because you're awesome...wanted an answer? There it is. =]
    -----
    Cops don't protect against mugging, abuse, or grand theft. I thought you should know how great your "protectors" are.
    -----
    Myanimelist - Ryxia6392

Rangers F.C

Some do some don't , I think games like Skyrim and Dead Space are good examples of games that care but games like Terminator Salvation and loads of others only care about $ bills and will give you a shit game and a OTT trophy list just for a cash grab .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 9 - Gold

I think that varies depending on the developer. Most though I wouldn't say care at all. At the end of the day they care if we buy the game or not.
    > LIKE my Facebook page, where I post Gaming News!! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Evere...22814831104589 <

Add me on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/The1TheBob?ref=tn_tnmn

Follow me - https://twitter.com/The1TheBob

My FAVE FIVE:

WWE: Goldust, Zack Ryder, Bray Wyatt, Cody Rhodes, Big E Langston

Deathless Destroyer

All developers want is their product to sell well and the consumers to be happy (well, most devs).
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast