About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset - Part 2

This is a discussion on About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset - Part 2 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; After having a final look at the deals for the pulse headset a month later while overseas, I settled for ...

Deathless Destroyer

About the Sony "7.1 Surround Sound" Pulse Stereo Headset - Part 2

After having a final look at the deals for the pulse headset a month later while overseas, I settled for a deal slightly more expensive than the previous offer [old offer was RM 350 ($110 Australian), cheapest offer I could find a month later is RM 380 ($116), which compared to the normal price in Australia is still a pretty damn good offer IMO ($160].

The guy who I was dealing with told the things it came with and some information I gathered through questioning (some of the answers he made about a few questions I asked did not match up with a google search a couple of hours later, though in my current gaming place it made no difference really). The information he said was:

Sony Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Box Comes with:

- the headset
    - a largish USB stick used to make the headset connect to the device
    - a USB cable used to connect from the PS3 to the headset, which I presumed was the one used to charge it
    - a smaller cable used to apparently connect with devices like PSP, iPhone/iPad, mp3 players etc

Additional information while questioning:

(???) - headset has a battery-life of 24 hours - takes 3 hours to fully charge. (a few google searches says the headset has a battery-life of 4-6 hours [WTF]) - either way, I sit close to my PS3 so no difference really (have to sit 1m from ps3 (normal spot) when battery gets low.
    - provides proper 7.1 surround sound, as compared to the first model which he said was 6.9 SS
    - relatively easy to set up
    - ONE YEAR INTERNATIONAL WARRANTY (basically means that if by some randomness the headset gives me problems in Australia I can just replace it there - phew).
    - the first model was apparently unclear and had signal issues, the pulse didn't

Upon having a look at the headset and wearing it to try, I had a few minor problems which after a quick reporting was fixed (well, I call them problems). Nethertheless, the headset proved to be both comfortable and I had no sound problems listening to the software he loaded up (demon's souls if I remember correctly). The problems were:

After the guy took out a Super-Slim PS3 (which even he admitted the disc reader was a piece of crap after I asked him whether the rumours were true that the disc reader was flimsy), he did the initial language setup on the TV (meaning he probably never set it up, haha) and placed a copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 in the reader for me to test out the sound. This is where the first minor hinderance comes in - the disc wouldn't load due to requiring to update the software. He took out the disc and put Demons Souls in, which after it loaded up didn't have any sound when I put the headset on, which he fixed by turning up the TV volume which was set to 8/100 or something.

My initial thoughts were that the headset was amazing. The sound was crystal clear and while I watched a short 2 minute or so clip of a fight or something I could hear every scream, every sword on shield, and every footstep as clearly as I'd probably hear it IRL.

I bought the headset and later placed it in my trusty backpack ready to go home in a few days, though what I'm wondering about the headset is this. Was getting the headset worth it?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Deathless Destroyer

Comments on this thread would be nice.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Rangers F.C

I have never used a headset , I got a surround sound system and like to feel the base through me lol
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

illegal in 9 countries

Yes, absolutely worth the purchase.

Headsets provide a far richer game environment and a deeper sense of immersion. Demons Souls is the perfect game to test because there's so much depth to the the audio that you completely miss unless you have a surround sound setup. It's like a whole new world opens up and you get a better sense of craftsmanship when you can hear the full soundscape of a game.

For the price, the Pulse headset can't be beat. The battery life is not 24 hours, it's more in the 8-ish hour range, depending on volume. They also seem to take far longer than 3 hours to recharge. Connect a USB cable and problem solved, but then you've defeated the purpose of it being wireless.

You'll probably end up turning off the bass-enhance-vibraty-thingy because quite frankly it gets annoying and doesn't seem to differentiate between left and right, instead adding artificial booming noises to both ears. The headset also hurts the top of my melon pretty quickly and is not as comfortable as it could have been. Aside from that, no major complaints.

Deathless Destroyer

When I was testing it out on my iPad overseas (properly testing it out today - got back to my house in Australia today) the sound sounded much better and I remembered most of the headphone settings within an hour (I'm quite poor at remembering most things so that was an accomplishment, or maybe because the headset was interesting).

The BassImpact thingy when I set it at mid-high when testing with a few iPad games (Mirrors Edge, Slot Machines, Doodle Jump and some other random game) hurt my ears after a short while and I was forced to take off the headset and clean my ears

Hopefully the virtual surround sound will sound similar to my 5.1 Home Theatre setup (I have two extra speakers I can set up but I never set them up since most movies and videos are in 5.1, so it would make no difference), though I'm currently just using default TV speakers (2.1).