Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

PS4 Abandoning Dualshock Design

This is a discussion on PS4 Abandoning Dualshock Design within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PlayStation News: CVG sources: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com A senior games studio source working on ...

INTJ

PS4 Abandoning Dualshock Design

PlayStation News: CVG sources: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

A senior games studio source working on an upcoming Sony game says the new system's controller has undergone numerous iterations, few of which resemble the DualShock build that has become synonymous with PlayStation.
    Experiments within Sony's R&D department are thought to have been extensive. Versions of the new PS4 pad include biometric sensors on the grips and an LCD touch screen, the development source claimed.

A second source, working in a separate part of the industry but still connected to Sony, said PlayStation engineers are "trying to emulate the same user interface philosophies as the PS Vita". This is likely a reference to the touch-screen capabilities of the PlayStation handheld, and a suggestion that Sony will tightly integrate its portable and home systems.

The new console - codenamed Orbis - will be revealed in a matter of weeks, not months.

Sony has declined to comment.

While the DualShock will not be a primary controller for the next PlayStation, it is likely that the range of PS3 controllers will be compatible with the next-gen system. There is a possibility they could be used as secondary controllers, much like with how Wii Remotes interact with the Wii U.

One potential stumbling block is Sony's complex partnership with Immersion - the patent-holder of the rumble tech used in Sony's pads. In March 2007, Immersion settled its patent infringement suit with Sony, after claiming that the company had used its technologies without permission.

CVG understands that Sony has paid Immersion more than $150 million in damages, license fees and other costs since the settlement. However, a small portion (initially $20 million) of this was redirected to Microsoft, which owns about 10 per cent of Immersion.

Sony's licence agreement with Immersion ends in 2017, SEC documents show, but as part of the deal Immersion has given Sony an option to expand the scope of the licence for future consoles. However, the complications of the deal may have convinced Sony that it should seek different designs and ideas for its next controller.

The new PS4 controller design, which remains a closely guarded secret across the PlayStation organisation, is expected to break new mould for Sony. The biometric tech, in particular, is something games studios such as Valve are interested in due to its function as a heart beat sensor.

thank fuck. now lets hope the the controller is actually good this time.

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    PlayStation News: CVG sources: Sony to abandon DualShock design for PS4 - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

thank fuck. now lets hope the the controller is actually good this time.
    PS360 the controller RULED! I understand most of your points but the CONTROLLER?!
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Legalize it...

Quote Originally Posted by brAvEhEaRtDC View Post
    PS360 the controller RULED! I understand most of your points but the CONTROLLER?!
    Agreed. Ive always loved the PS controllers. I say keep things the same and stop with these stupid gimmicks...

> Restart Button <

XBox's controller is one of the main reasons I stay away from that system. Nintendo just always has some interesting wacky "look what I can do" controller.

but the PS controller is bad? WTH? I think its fine the way it is. I can only hope for upgrading with the PS4 and hopefully (just in case they fuck the controller up) I can still use a PS3 controller.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Rangers F.C

There is nothing wrong with the PS3 controller but I liked the feel of the 360 one better , just my opinion .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

Sony has always had the best controller. If they feel as though they must change it some then thats cool but I wouldnt go reinventing the wheel here stick with what works.
    Ps 360 what would you know about a good controller nintendo had a goofy stick with 2 buttons that was make so old woman could get excercise along with obese children but atleast theyre rechargable . Dont get me started with the Xbox controller ther thing is big as shit for no reason it looks like you should be able to steer cars and shit with motion control and it takes Fucking AA batteries hahahaha. It reminds me of the dreamcast controller but atleastt that had a memory card with a screen on it

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by brAvEhEaRtDC View Post
    The PS Controller design was made before N64 Rocked the waves with thumbsticks.

The thumb sticks are simply tacked on.

The wii u pro controller is a beautiful thing though. when your Playing FPS Games you never use the buttons unless you switch a weapon or jump, so all of it is on the bottom while your hand naturally goes for the thumbsticks.

But lets say you wanted to play a fighter, or a SNES Game on the wii u. the bottom part is a perfect fit for Classic controller play.

the 360 controller is just as nice too, but at that point it just depends if you want your ABXY buttons on top or bottom now.

the dead don't speak

The PS3 controller is the best handheld device since the SNES one. I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it. Mine is still operational after five years and a dozen throws off the wall. I even forgot it a whole night in the freezer and it still works fine. I don't get the vibration though. Basically useless and it drains the battery in a jiffy. But I am curious about eventual PS4 changes though.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Wtf... PS controller is good, I have a friend with a 360 and the controller is shit.

Beast Incarnate

I suppose it had to evolve at some point. But to say the Dual Shock wasn't good is just idiocy, or a statement to get attention. Its been a solid control pad for well over a decade and I'll miss it. I wouldn't say its the reason I've stayed with Sony, but its helped. Its iconic

the dead don't speak

Xbox controller is okay but awkward compared to the PS3. But it runs on batteries. BATTERIES. Gimme a break.

Lord of all Goat-Men

Whatever it is, I hope it has more heft. I prefer the 360 controller over the PS3 for its weight and its size. Having said that, the original Xbox controller was monstrous.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

An LCD touchscreen? FFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I want to use a controller not an ipad when I'm playing a game. And yes, I've played with the WiiU controller, and it isn't near as natural to play with as a gamepad.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Gourdz View Post
    Xbox controller is okay but awkward compared to the PS3. But it runs on batteries. BATTERIES. Gimme a break.
    I used rechargeable batteries , so it never made any difference
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gourdz View Post
    better than a battery that can die out easily in your controller after a few years thats irreplacable.

good thing nintendo was smart enough to put a battery cover on the wii u pro incase that happens.

Beast Incarnate

better than a battery that can die out easily in your controller after a few years thats irreplacable.

good thing nintendo was smart enough to put a battery cover on the wii u pro incase that happens.
    2 of my 4 contollers are over 4 years old and still last as long as my newer ones

Where The Wind Blows

Change is good, I suppose... but we'd better not get any chunky Playskool crap like the 360's controller.

And fix the lower "triggers"!

Click for some context for this signature. It rotates the lyric every time it's reloaded!

the dead don't speak

Easily? So far, I haven't heard of any PS3 controller battery dying out. Mine is on about 18 hours a day since 2008 and still works great. That doesn't mean they're invincible but I think that the probabilities of rechargeable nickel batteries leaking out or simply wearing out with use make a PS3 controller more cost efficient in the long run, plus the bore of changing, recharging, buying them...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Dualshock is one of the best controllers I've used. The Genesis and Saturn controllers were good too.

the dead don't speak

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I used rechargeable batteries , so it never made any difference
    Again, rechargeable batteries wear out with time and some leak. My former room mate had to dump a Xbox controller because the batteries leaked and ruined the controller.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast