Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS+ free games expire?

This is a discussion on PS+ free games expire? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I say false advertisement on this BS. They never say that it will expire. I feel cheated. >_>...

Angel of Death

PS+ free games expire?

I say false advertisement on this BS. They never say that it will expire. I feel cheated. >_>

Retired Staff Member

They do say that they expire if are no longer a PS+ subscriber.

> Restart Button <

Quote Originally Posted by Bounce View Post
    They do say that they expire if are no longer a PS+ subscriber.
    Thats's what happend to me after I canceled. I was only 1 trophy from 100% on Astro Tripper too.

TheMute's Sony Scout Badges

Sweet signature and avatar created by stupot00 @ ~Deja Vu Sigs ~

Gamers Couples platbar by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 4 - Silver

Are you sure your PSN+ didn't expire?

If your PSN+ hasn't run out then the same thing happened to me. You can fix it by re-downloading the game and it works fine again (At least it did for me).

Lvl 6 - Silver

Games do expire but if you are logged in and you're still plus it will check and you will be able to play, I had that problem before knowing about this

PRO Member

The expiration date of the game is the date your PS+ runs out buy another 6 months or year subscribtion and you have them back how is that false advertising???

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Dammit, just read up before signing up!
    I must have read a few dozen times before i even signed up for Plus that you have the games as long as your subscription lasts and if you sign up again, they are yours again as long as you downloaded them.

Lvl 7 - Gold

How do people still not know this? Of course they would expire, otherwise people would just sign up the the 3 months at $17 and snag a bunch of free games. Sony wouldn't make anything off of that at all. And I don't know what 'advertising' you read but it states clearly in the terms of the deal that the games expire with the end of your plus membership. Do some research fucko.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by juliuspleezer View Post
    How do people still not know this? Of course they would expire, otherwise people would just sign up the the 3 months at $17 and snag a bunch of free games. Sony wouldn't make anything off of that at all. And I don't know what 'advertising' you read but it states clearly in the terms of the deal that the games expire with the end of your plus membership. Do some research fucko.
    Sorry I lost you at the point where you called the guy a fucko..

I'm pretty sure he meant the free games you get expire, not that fact his PS+ subscription expired as he never said that? I'm also pretty sure he only signed up like 2-3 weeks ago so I don't see how that'd be anyway.
    Because Trophies are amazing...

Lord of all Goat-Men

Quote Originally Posted by leavingnoname View Post
    Sorry I lost you at the point where you called the guy a fucko..
    You got lost at the very last word in the post? Geez.

Anyway, yeah if your PS+ expires you lose access to those games. I wonder how it's going to play out when the next Playstation console is released. Will we have to have two PS+ subscriptions, or that encompasses all?

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    You got lost at the very last word in the post? Geez.

Anyway, yeah if your PS+ expires you lose access to those games. I wonder how it's going to play out when the next Playstation console is released. Will we have to have two PS+ subscriptions, or that encompasses all?
    I meant lost respect for him, sorry it's late lol.

Well judging the history of making money wherever possible I would guess it would have some totally new subscription, then again I think it'd be able to carry over quite easily if much about each users account etc, ID information and so on remain the same
    Because Trophies are amazing...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Doesn't it tell you that it is only valid as long as you are a PS+ right when you checkout at the PSN store?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think I know what he's talking about. He's not talking about losing access to the games after the PS+ subscription runs out, that's a given. He's talking about the games ITSELF expiring, which does happen, especially if you're on the PS3.

When you download a free game, it gives you a time limit until the day your PS+ sub end (for example: my PS+ will expire in April 18, 2013, so it will say that the game will expire in 90 days). Let's say my PS+ will be updated for another year, and will expired in April 18, 2014...The game you download before April 18, 2013, will still have the expiration date set for April 18, 2013, and say the game is expired. This is, unless, you play the game AFTER you updated your PS+ account information, which resets the expiration date of your game to April 18, 2014. (For instance: One of the free games, Comix zone, says EXPIRED. In order to reset it, all I have to do is click on the game and it will load up normally and play. Back out and check the expiration date again. It should now be reset for whatever the new expiration date is on your PS+ sub).

Now, there are some games which when they expire, even after you updated your PS+ information for the 2013-14 year, will not play any more. This tends to happen more on PSP games than PS3 games, I don't know why. The solution is simple: delete the game you have, then just re-download it. The expiration date will reset for another year, and you can play your game again.

I hope this helps, this has happend to me before.

Looks like you need my help--Again...
    Games Beaten: 434 (As of March 7, 2014)

Ghost Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by coenak View Post
    Doesn't it tell you that it is only valid as long as you are a PS+ right when you checkout at the PSN store?
    THIS. There's a clear pop-up that shows up every time you download a free full game from ps+. It's your fault that you didn't read it. It also makes sense business wise, since they'll get more people resubscribing to keep those games.

Quote Originally Posted by Currywrath88 View Post
    I think I know what he's talking about. He's not talking about losing access to the games after the PS+ subscription runs out, that's a given. He's talking about the games ITSELF expiring, which does happen, especially if you're on the PS3.

When you download a free game, it gives you a time limit until the day your PS+ sub end (for example: my PS+ will expire in April 18, 2013, so it will say that the game will expire in 90 days). Let's say my PS+ will be updated for another year, and will expired in April 18, 2014...The game you download before April 18, 2013, will still have the expiration date set for April 18, 2013, and say the game is expired. This is, unless, you play the game AFTER you updated your PS+ account information, which resets the expiration date of your game to April 18, 2014. (For instance: One of the free games, Comix zone, says EXPIRED. In order to reset it, all I have to do is click on the game and it will load up normally and play. Back out and check the expiration date again. It should now be reset for whatever the new expiration date is on your PS+ sub).

Now, there are some games which when they expire, even after you updated your PS+ information for the 2013-14 year, will not play any more. This tends to happen more on PSP games than PS3 games, I don't know why. The solution is simple: delete the game you have, then just re-download it. The expiration date will reset for another year, and you can play your game again.

I hope this helps, this has happend to me before.
    I think I've seen another thread on the site talking about this, so my guess is that you could be right about what the original question was. Although, if he was referring to game expiration after ps+ is over then my first comment applies.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Danko1900 View Post
    I think I've seen another thread on the site talking about this, so my guess is that you could be right about what the original question was. Although, if he was referring to game expiration after ps+ is over then my first comment applies.
    It's all good. I just wanted to cover all the bases...so that when the DH comes up to the plate, he can hit a home run to win the big game...I have no idea how I trailed off into a baseball metaphor. I dislike baseball.

But yeah...Just covering all the issues that I know of that could occur for this issue.

Looks like you need my help--Again...
    Games Beaten: 434 (As of March 7, 2014)

Rangers F.C

No shit Sherlock
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Angel of Death

My Plus didn't run out, certain games expire apparently. My Plus runs out in March. For example, Just Cause 2 and Warhammer no longer are playable. They have expired.

Also, thank you Currywrath for answering my question rather than just saying I'm an idiot.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    My Plus didn't run out, certain games expire apparently. My Plus runs out in March. For example, Just Cause 2 and Warhammer no longer are playable. They have expired.

Also, thank you Currywrath for answering my question rather than just saying I'm an idiot.
    Did you renew at or after the time the games expired?

I had a similar issue and redownloaded to reset the expiry date.

Angel of Death

So they are still in my download list? Good to know, thanks. I'll redownload them when I have the chance.

Legalize it...

My Marvel Pinball said it expired even though I had renewed my + before it actually ran out. But, when I went to play it, it worked fine and now has the new expiration date in the info...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast