Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Has your attitude about gaming changed?

This is a discussion on Has your attitude about gaming changed? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; From the time you first started playing up until now, has your attitude towards it changed? For me it has ...

PRO Member

Has your attitude about gaming changed?

From the time you first started playing up until now, has your attitude towards it changed?

For me it has in certain aspects. When I was you ger, I only played for fun. While I still play for fun, I now want to feel and do everything that a game has to offer. If that means trying out this mini-game, so be it. I also have to complete a game to feel like I got what I wanted out of a game. Before, if I didn't beat a game fully, it wasn't a big deal. With sequels almost being a constant, that isn't the case.

Also, multiplayer is something that has changed for me. Before, I just played to play. Now I find myself making more friends and not necessarily caring as much about my online stats or records.

And of course, the biggest change for me, which is why I am on this site, is wanting to hear the ding of that plat finally going off. As nice as it is to hear, it isn't the end all be all of me as a gamer though.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

The One and Only

Definitely.

When I first started playing video games years ago, I thought of it as an awesome hobby to have while at home, but it wasn't anything above other things I did like hang out with friends or even school work. Nowadays, everything has changed, since I got my PS3 almost three years ago. I got more addicted to it to where recently, about a year ago, I burned myself out and grew lazy to where I wouldn't play a game legitimately as much anymore. Hell, even trophies has changed the way I play PS3 games in particular, and it has influenced my experiences in the games I play.

After playing Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters for the PSP, the first Ratchet and Clank game I've really played, I started caring more about the story of games and became fascinated with them. Sure, the game isn't heavily story-based, but I was used to only playing racing games at the time, or Mario and Pokemon games on my Nintendo DS Lite. In most racing games I've played, it's you starting at the bottom and then reaching up to the top as the game progresses, and the games I've played on my DSLite wasn't very story-based at all either. Actually having some connections between characters in a video game wasn't something I was used to, not yet.

Multiplayer, my view of it has changed in just one year. I started online playing when I got my PS3, and a year later after trying to get online trophies, playing with people online, the lags, freezes, etc., it went from being a paradise to a mild annoyance overall. It's still fun to play though, depending on the game.

I noticed that when I go back to my PS2, my attitude towards gaming kinda reverts back to the old, the way it was before I got my PS3. I guess it depends on the system and games I play. The different atmospheres in gaming can definitely influence and change the way I think, react, or enjoy gaming.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 9 - Gold

yeah it was about the fun and i used to play a game for longer than i do now... once platted i find it hard to go back to unless its a reeely good game lol. but plats have made me a better gamer i NEVER used to play games on the hardest difficulty but now its what i start on!! still having fun with my games tho.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I've started to enjoy them much more then when I was a kid and my tastes changed too. But recently I've become more bored with games because I played a lot at the end of last year. It was overwhelming. But I still really want to play video games. I just never feel in the mood to but I make myself play them because I know I'll enjoy it.

Retired

Everything that DaRe said.

Plus, 'back then', when I completed a game, I felt a huge sense of accomplishment, now I just can't seem to care that much since there's multiplayer in almost every game.

illegal in 9 countries

My attitude to gaming has changed significantly in recent years. I still game for fun, but I pay for all my games now instead of downloading torrents and complete more of them, thanks in large part to trophies. One could say I'm a better gaming citizen these days...

Le Wild Trophy Hunter

I've been gaming for a long time and as I got older I started paying more attention to the story and was better able to grasp some of them as well. One of the biggest changes in the way I game came with the advent of trophies and achievements though. I have always been a completionist but would only 100% games I gave a shit about, now I'll try to 100% it if it's on my trophy list.

Lord of all Goat-Men

I grew up with dial-up, so for me gaming was always something done on my own, or split-screen with my brother. About 5 years ago I was forced to relocate because of my Dad's job, which dragged me away from my best friend and at-the-time girlfriend, which, for a socially-repressed introvert, was pretty soul-destroying. The upside was that we got broadband, and online gaming became a way for me to maintain my friendships; close to 700 hours of Counter-Strike: Source for two years!

Now I'm almost finished University and looking forward to the future, and gaming has taken a backseat. My standards have been raised (I can't tolerate sloppy writing or story-telling), and Nostalgia has lost its stranglehold on me. I play socially, or to experience something I can't with TV and Movies. I also seem to have lost my taste for FPS.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah, back in the old days, it was for fun. Then a few years later, it was about beating as many as I can. A few more years later, it was about getting trophies. Now, it's just to enjoy whatever game comes into my grasp. Gaming has changed so much and I don't really the general direction of where games are eventually going. After the PS3 run is done, I'm done with games (excluding any games left in my archive).

With all that's going on in my life, it's time for a drastic change. I'm gonna learn how to juggle for one, pronounce the word "aluminum foil" properly and not say "tin foil", and be the greatest BJJ fighter in the world!!! (semi-serious with the Brazilian Ju-Jitsu...I start monday...wish me luck...or not...you can hate but I'll will put a sleeper on you if I become good).

Looks like you need my help--Again...
    Games Beaten: 434 (As of March 7, 2014)

Lvl 7 - Gold

As a trophy hunter and whore, i experiment with games. I have found lots of good indie games that sadly get no good recognition.

I have changed as a gamer yes, i have become a better player and i have a more depth understanding for games, before it was just like beat the campaign on easy and move on to the next game, and that was fun. Now i challenge myself... Most of the time. But if i want to play a sequel i will usually play the first game before starting the new one, [KILLZONE, RESISTANCE; ETC] but sometimes not due to how awful the prequel was.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Game on....

I love gaming and i will never stop gaming. Sometimes i have a lapse in playing games but i never feel like i don't want to game. Earning trophies sometimes makes the gaming experience more annoying but at the same time more rewarding. I don't seem to game as much as i used to.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    As a trophy hunter and whore, i experiment with games. I have found lots of good indie games that sadly get no good recognition.

I have changed as a gamer yes, i have become a better player and i have a more depth understanding for games, before it was just like beat the campaign on easy and move on to the next game, and that was fun. Now i challenge myself... Most of the time. But if i want to play a sequel i will usually play the first game before starting the new one, [KILLZONE, RESISTANCE; ETC] but sometimes not due to how awful the prequel was.
    Other than the Indie games part this is exactly how i have changed

NSFW

It has changed, though I'm unsure if it's for the better. When I was a little kid, I took my games to a friend and played them and just enjoyed myself and the company. Now, while I still can squeeze fun out of the game, it's mostly used as a form of stressreliever and anti-depressant. Truth is... that I feel like that's what I have left. I'm not doing great in school, I'm slowly tearing myself apart having no social skills, and everybody else is having it so great... I've never been more alone in my life, and instead of cutting myself or doing some other stupid shit, I play video games.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    It has changed, though I'm unsure if it's for the better. When I was a little kid, I took my games to a friend and played them and just enjoyed myself and the company. Now, while I still can squeeze fun out of the game, it's mostly used as a form of stressreliever and anti-depressant. Truth is... that I feel like that's what I have left. I'm not doing great in school, I'm slowly tearing myself apart having no social skills, and everybody else is having it so great... I've never been more alone in my life, and instead of cutting myself or doing some other stupid shit, I play video games.
    Yeah, i have been there heaps of times, man. It does get fucked up, but it relaxes you like crazy. But i have overcome my depression, that may change when i start Tafe

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Haven't really changed much game wise, still love them. I have noticed I enjoy RPGs/JRPGs a lot more now that I understand the story more. When I was younger I would just be like: "SKIP ALL THE DIALOG SO I CAN FIGHT THE MONSTERS HUR HUR", or hurry to the boss or something. Now I really pay attention to the story and other things. I've also noticed I listen to game soundtracks more too. Some game OSTs are just amazing. Being older really adds to the experience now that I think about it.

Rangers F.C

Yes for sure , I started of gaming a long time ago and I used to only play for my enjoyment and would have many games going at once , if a game was no good it would get canned instantly , I honestly think online has ruined gaming because it was more fun without it and you used to meet up with friends and have a session but now there is no need to , online has made nearly ever game follow the same path to try and get the COD punks and is pushing up the cost of gaming for everyone , games were cheaper at the systems launch and have got more expensive towards the end of it which makes no sense at all , games like Far cry 3 going for 60 off PSN is a joke , I am very excited about next gen now but I think its going to be the biggest ass fuck in gaming history and sadly it will be us on the receiving end , once I got into the whole trophy hunting it was loads of fun at first , me and a old friend from collage started a platinum competition between us , he had like 5 and I had 1 , it was really enjoyable trying to catch him and eventually overtake but I think I got a little bit addicted to them and then began checking the trophies and stuff before I even began the game , I would check stuff so that it would prevent time wasting in my gameplay , this was fine at first but after a while it became a chore and me and my mate were having a drink one night and decided that the trophy hunting ruins gaming for us , since then I have on purpose never looked at the trophies since , it has made me really enjoy the games again , I have pretty much went full circle with it and ended up back at my roots lol , I have also joined Lovefilm and have not paid for a game in like six months which is also awesome , hunting is fine but I don't think I will do it again unless its a game like Skyrim , Fallout 4 and so on .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Platinum Procrastinator

I've definitely changed. When I was a lot younger, I played games for fun. Nobody had a big selection back then on the Atari 2600 and later NES so we replayed all of our games over and over. Bringing them to our friends house and taking turns. Later during the N64 era, I had my first job and disposable income. This is the time period where gaming started to change. Before my job, my parents would buy me and my two brothers a few games for Christmas and several more throughout the year. However, with my job,I was able to buy games almost every week. In fact, I remember buying five N64 games in less than two weeks at one point. This marked the first time I actually had more games than I had finished. Usually I would finish a game and then move onto the next one if I was lucky enough to have one.

The second biggest change to affect me gaming wise was with the introduction of trophies and achievements. After playing a Navy based MMO for around five years, I returned to console gaming and bought a 360 and later a PS3. Just like with the N64 era, I started buying more games than I could play and eventually started trophy hunting. Because of this, I would play a game, finish it and get the platinum trophy and then move onto the next game. I can't even recall if I ever went back and replayed a game after earning all of the trophies for it with the exception of maybe Battlefield 3. Part of me wants to earn every trophy possible for all of the games I play, while another part of me wishes they never even existed. Ive found myself playing a game without enjoying it many times in the past just for stupid trophies and I've really struggled with the idea of giving it up. There will always be a part of me that wants to be a completionist and because of this, I've been holding out on playing games I know I'll love like Borderlands 2, the Assassin's Creed series, and Dead Space to name a few just because I'm using my time to finish off older games or go for annoying online trophies.
    Like TV shows, join the Small Screen Gossip group!

Up the Irons!

Most definitely. When I was younger, I barely played any games. Even though I had a PS2, my younger brother was the one who used it. I would just play from time to time. I started playing games more often once I got my PS3.

Trophies being the other because they made me try out different things that otherwise I would've never thought of, let alone tried.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

PRO Member

I still remember the day...24 February 1991.It was the first time I saw a computer game that wasn't an " insert coin to play " game.I was 10.
    I remember I visited my cousin and since his parents had always been pretty wealthy, they managed to buy him an ATARI 130XE.
    The game I saw was called " Drop Zone " and I'd instantly fell in love with it and gaming as a whole.That was the day when all I could think about was playing games.To this day I remember long nigth sessions playing river raid,road race,ghostbusters etc.I still remember how even a small bend or scratch on a kasette would mean that the game would not load properly, so the whole hour waiting for it to happen was a waste.
    Atari was replaced by commodore 64, then Pgasus, Amiga 500 , PS1, PS2,PS3, XBOX 360, PC...you name it and I had to have it.

Gaming has always played a huge part in my life.I still remember months spent playing Gothic or Morrowind just for the fun of it and to this day I kinda curse the moment when online gaming became so common.
    I used to play for fun, for myself. Finishing a game was a must but was also a reward in itself and I loved it.Ever since online gaming was introduced and trophies along with it, I realised that the fun factor was somehow gone all of a sudden.
    Pure joy of play has been replaced by rivalry of any kind.It went from " just for fun, just fo myself " to " I need to show off, I need to be better than the next guy, I need to show the world how great I am by getting a gold trophy or a plat here and there ".
    I started checking trophies before I even started a game to know which ones I could get in my 1st playthrough.
    Online rivalry also stands behind me quitting the career mode in FIFA.Now what matters is UT mode and kicking someone's ass while beign underdog.
    I started buying crappy games because they had trophies, games I wouldn't have bought otherwise.
    I have hundreds games on STEAM but if the don't have achievements and I can't compare myself to others, I consider it a waste of time.

I know I lost something somewhere.I recently started thinkking how I can fix it, how can I get back to the roots when gaming was pure.
    Because honestly, is wasting 10 hours looking for those orbs in Enslaved really worth it? I got the plat for that game so what? It's not like anyone made an interview with me afterwards.No one even mentioned " wow! you got a plat for that ! "
    Collecting those damn orbs would never even cross my mind had I not known there was a trophy for that.Because of all that, gaming started feeling liek a chore, like a second job and I don't want that. I want to go back to the roots so I stopped caring about trophies and all I really want nowadays to find the same joy that I had while playing Warlords on Amiga 500 or Gothic.I finished Gothic 8 times and not once had I thought back in 2001 that I needed a plat for that.Playing that game was rewarding enough....

I'm fighting with the plat rat chase.It's not what gaming should be about.Trophies should also be more sensible.Getting a Gold trophy for finishing a game on hard is cool.Getting 200.000 miles on your horse or collecting 1000000 packages isn't.
    It's also been proven that only 20% of all gamers finish any given game so I think rewarding finishing the game itself should do it in the first place.

I'm 34, have a wife, a job and not much time on my hands.I used to play 15 hours a day.Now it's maximum 3-4 a day ( if even that ).Spending that time chasing a trophy no one gives two dimes about isn't worth it.I just want to have fun.
    I owe it to the gaming ancestors and old school of gaming .
    ALD

worlds biggest welch fan

Mine has changed a little @ age 29.
    It's mostly towards fighting games, I could play mortal kombat and Street fighter non stop in elementary school and high school.

I still get stoked to play new games and look forward to getting task complete, and with trophies it has helped keep track of them

When your a kid you have a different mind state with only school and skateboarding/gaming to keep track of.

I remember waking up at midnight in 4th grade to get the rats tail in Final Fantasy by using the boat instead of the airship because it was so much faster.

The good ol 8-bit days then came along.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast