is this the right HDD for my PS3?

This is a discussion on is this the right HDD for my PS3? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm going to be buying a 500gb PS3 HDD since I've been using the same 80gb HDD for 4 years. ...

iwasbornintheusa

is this the right HDD for my PS3?

I'm going to be buying a 500gb PS3 HDD since I've been using the same 80gb HDD for 4 years. Yeah, me and my fat ps3 have lasted very long and I need to give her the respect a man should give her; buying her a new HDD. I just want to know if this is the right HDD i should be buying.
    Newegg.com - TOSHIBA MQ01ABD050 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    Thanks for your help, guys.

Thank you to DaRe_xLw for the signature

illegal in 9 countries

Yep, it'll work fine. As long as it's SATA, 1TB or less, 2.5" and 9.5mm high, any HDD will do.

Don't give RPM or cache a second thought, it's irrelevant for PS3 usage. If anything, 5400RPM is better than 7200RPM due to less heat generation. YLoD in Fat PS3's is cause by overheating over a prolonged period of time, so the less heat you add into the system, the better.

iwasbornintheusa

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Yep, it'll work fine. As long as it's SATA, 1TB or less, 2.5" and 9.5mm high, any HDD will do.

Don't give RPM or cache a second thought, it's irrelevant for PS3 usage. If anything, 5400RPM is better than 7200RPM due to less heat generation. YLoD in Fat PS3's is cause by overheating over a prolonged period of time, so the less heat you add into the system, the better.
    After an hour, my ps3 starts making alot of noises and starts getting hotter overtime. It doesn't help my brother plays black ops 2 24/7.
    So if I add this HDD to my PS3, It'll stop overheating or overheat less?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Like an1th3s1s said it basically just has to be the right size and a SATA, the lower RPM can definitely help with the heating issues also.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Parasoul View Post
    After an hour, my ps3 starts making alot of noises and starts getting hotter overtime. It doesn't help my brother plays black ops 2 24/7.
    So if I add this HDD to my PS3, It'll stop overheating or overheat less?
    Being a higher capacity disk, it'll probably run hotter than your existing HDD during read/write operations.

If you've got a Fatty that runs hot, the best thing to do is to subscribe to PS+ and backup all of your game saves. You never know when that thing will blow, I've lost two Fat boys to YLoD.

iwasbornintheusa

I got plus, I'm going to buy another 3 months tomorrow since my last day for plus is on the 22nd.
    Alright, thanks for your help, guys. <3