Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sony Fined $395k for PSN hack

This is a discussion on Sony Fined $395k for PSN hack within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony fined $395,000 for 2011 hack of its PlayStation Network | Ars Technica A UK government body has fined Sony ...

INTJ

Sony Fined $395k for PSN hack

Sony fined $395,000 for 2011 hack of its PlayStation Network | Ars Technica

A UK government body has fined Sony 250,000 (about $394,570) for the devastating 2011 hack of its PlayStation Network, which resulted in one of the largest online breaches ever.

The Information Commissioner's Office announced the fine on Thursday, a little less than two years after Sony officials first disclosed the criminal intrusion into the online game platform. The breach exposed names, addresses, e-mail addresses, dates of birth, and cryptographically hashed passwords associated with some 77 million accounts. It also put credit card data at risk. The hack resulted in Sony shutting down the network for more than three weeks as engineers contained the damage and rebuilt the network.

"There’s no disguising that this is a business that should have known better," David Smith, deputy commissioner and director of data protection, said in the statement. "It is a company that trades on its technical expertise, and there's no doubt in my mind that they had access to both the technical knowledge and the resources to keep this information safe."

A separate breach of Sony's online computer games service in May 2011 exposed data for another 25 million accounts.

The PlayStation Network attack "could have been prevented if the software had been up-to-date, while technical developments also meant passwords were not secure," the ICO statement said without elaborating. The ICO also issued a report detailing some of its findings. Although key passages were blacked out to redact sensitive information, one part that remained intact said a "data controller failed to take the action required [redacted] to address the vulnerability even though appropriate updates were available."

According to an article published by IDG News, a representative for Sony Computer entertainment said the fine was undeserved.

"SCE disagrees with the ruling and is planning an appeal," the news service quoted spokesman Satoshi Fukuoka as saying.

The agency gave Sony until February 13 to pay a reduced fine at a discount of 20 percent. It also gave Sony the option of appealing the ruling. The ICO has the authority to levy fines as high as 500,000.

justice.

too bad sony loses more than 395k a day so this isn't as bad as the freefall they are doing right now.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I've always wondered where that money goes, though.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 4 - Silver

wtf? this is almost 2 years after the incident, why fine them now? i thought this to be long resolved... and i really find it odd that more people blame sony for it rather than the group that actually hacked it and disabled us from being able to use the PSN for 3 weeks and the PS store for even longer! anonymous, those fucking bastards

yet again the system is probably a lot safer now because of it

Signature Created by Bladia

The only sane person here

And yet another fap story for PS360 to jerk off to.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Justice???

It wasn't even Sonys fault. Jesus Christ.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by KingLazy View Post
    And yet another fap story for PS360 to jerk off to.
    Hehehe, that's true.

Anyway, considering their security was never hacked before, this isn't justice, it's BS.

Lvl 4 - Silver

What a load of horse shit.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Sony are going to appeal.

Sony to appeal 250,000 fine for hack into PlayStation Network - Marketing news - Marketing magazine

Also, ICO were pretty hypocritical in their statement so, yeah I'm all for Sony appealing the fine.

The One and Only

Welp, more money being flushed down the toilet over something that happened almost two years ago...

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    Justice???

sony didn't properly protect themselfs. they are a fucking tech company and they had outdated security.

it's their fault it was broken into. Just like it was valve's fault for having the source code leaked because they had a backdoor.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by canadian94eh View Post
    wtf? this is almost 2 years after the incident, why fine them now? i thought this to be long resolved... and i really find it odd that more people blame sony for it rather than the group that actually hacked it and disabled us from being able to use the PSN for 3 weeks and the PS store for even longer! anonymous, those fucking bastards

yet again the system is probably a lot safer now because of it
    You are kidding right? This shit takes time it won't resolve overnight, eh?

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    Justice???

It was their fault, and your personal nformation, went god knows where, that was fucking outrageous that their where hacked

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    sony didn't properly protect themselfs. they are a fucking tech company and they had outdated security.

it's their fault it was broken into. Just like it was valve's fault for having the source code leaked because they had a backdoor.
    How in the fuck is it their faults? That's like saying a murder victim is at fault for being killed because they are able to be stabbed and killed.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Justice?

You just love seeing Sony fail don't you ps360. Does it make you happy? Is it the best news you've ever heard?. Btw having over 7000 posts do you actually do anything else with your time

Why two years later though... just move on already everyone else has.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    How in the fuck is it their faults? That's like saying a murder victim is at fault for being killed because they are able to be stabbed and killed.
    lol exactly...

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

arrghhargahragharahg

That's pretty stupid.
    Extremely busy at the moment. I have not forgotten those that I am helping, so fear not!
    Sig by DaRe_xLw
    !!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Luckay View Post
    they painted a giant sign on themselfs that said "HACK ME YOU DUMBFUCKS" when they removed linux support on PS3.

It's like going to a biker gang and fucking with their bikes in front of their face. what do you think is going to happen?

Lvl 9 - Gold

It's like going to a biker gang and fucking with their bikes in front of their face. what do you think is going to happen?
    is that your "clever" response... pathetic

Legendary...Nuff Said

they painted a giant sign on themselfs that said "HACK ME YOU DUMBFUCKS" when they removed linux support on PS3.

Well you could run before they beat you.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

Change is mediocre

Definitely not the same scenario. Making yourself more vulnerable =/= fucking with others' stuff and asking for a beating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast