Blinking red light, HELP!!!

This is a discussion on Blinking red light, HELP!!! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Okay, so I'm playing Assassin's Creed III, on Sequence 9 and doing a side-mission where I'm about to liberate my ...

PRO Member

Blinking red light, HELP!!!

Okay, so I'm playing Assassin's Creed III, on Sequence 9 and doing a side-mission where I'm about to liberate my 6th and last region, and the PS3 shuts down and starts flashing a red light on the front. I can get it to boot to the main screen for a few seconds if I turn off and on the hard switch on the back (I have one of the MGS4 fat-PS3's) but then it resets again and blinks red.

What do I do? Any help is appreciated.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    Band of Thieves, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves,
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, The Walking Dead: Season One
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

PRO Member

I believe (although not certain), that it is a hardwear malfunction with your unit. It could be anything fromoverheating to the blueray drive malfunctioning. Your best bet is to take it to a repair store that has worked on PS3 before and talk to them about it. They should be able to run a few diagnostic tests to figure out exactly what it is.

Hopefully this helps and you get your PS3 working again
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Ice Cream Firefighter

Even though it's red that is the dreaded YLOD your fatboy has come to it's bitter end. There are a variety of YouTube videos on how to fix it but it is a temporary fix you my friend need a new PS3

Your PS3 has the blinking red light error?

Here are three simple steps which might help you to fix your PS3 blinking red light problem:

1. Check if there is a loose cable. If not, restart your console.

2. Unplug all cables except the power cord, and plug them back in.

3. If that didn't work, then try to take out the hard-drive, and put it back in.

If none of these tips work for you and your console's warranty is still valid, you can send your console to Sony to repair it. But prepare to:

1. Pay $150 no matter if the error is Sony's own fault or not

2. Wait up to six weeks to do the flashing red light repair

3. Forget about all the content you stored on your PS3, it's all wiped off!

As you can see in the video there is a third option for a PS3 blinking red light fix: PS3 Lights Fix. This PS3 repair guide enables you to fix your PS3 yourself in less than two hours.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

The One and Only

Oh no, YLOD is on it's way!

Your PS3 has a bad sickness that would only get cured if you go to the repairs, if they can do anything about it. Otherwise, your PS3 si going to die from that sickness.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

illegal in 9 countries

You can't boot to the XMB with YLoD, it shuts down straight away. But that is symptomatic of YLoD and it may be on the way.

In any case, you have hardware failure. Leave the PS3 off before you kill it completely and take it to a repair shop.

I hope you have your Game Saves backed up.

Lvl 7 - Gold

it was a sad day as the OP has now found out that his PS3 is diagnosed with YLOD.

Latest : #112 / RAYMAN: Origins [VITA]

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by STRANGEgenius View Post
    it was a sad day as the OP has now found out that his PS3 is diagnosed with YLOD.
    You're not making me feel much better.
    My PS3 Plats:
    Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum, Beyond: Two Souls, God of War, God of War II, Heavy
    Rain, ICO, inFAMOUS, inFAMOUS 2, L.A. Noire, Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia: The Forgotten
    Sands, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus, Sly 2:
    My PS4 Plats:
    Apotheon, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Murdered: Soul Suspect

PRO Member

Alright does anyone here have any idea what they are talking about?

It isn't the YLOD...it isn't a symptom of the YLOD as the YLOD gives no symptoms.

It is simply this and I hate to say it. You PS3 has overheated...If got too hot for the fan to cool down the system and it has gone too far, notorious on the fat PS3s and I am suprised yours lasted this long.

You can try to wait a day or so to see if letting it cool down will allow you to restart it but I have never seen one overheat and make it out alive.

If you remember when you got your PS3 it came with a big yellow tag telling to make sure that you dust your PS3 and keep it off the carpet to prevent static build up in the system. The vents prolly got clogged and has been running with the fan on super loud.

There are a few fixes..You can do it yourself (not really recommended) or you can pay Sony 100 or 150 dollars whichever it is to fix it for you. But the best thing to do is go buy a new PS3...they are expensive and not everyone has the money, I know. But it will be the only thing that will be able to fix the situation rather then paying to get it fixed and running into the problem down the road again.

Retired Completionist

It's the YLOD but for the slim. My friend had his die on him one night when we were watching Netflix on his PS3 and it froze. Once we tried to turn it back on it just turned itself off and the light started blinking. It's from overheating.

Have you ever airdusted your PS3 before? Weird that you mentioned that it was the fat model though as my friend's PS3 was the slim model.
    Signature by ESYLD

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Warbear View Post
    It's the YLOD but for the slim. My friend had his die on him one night when we were watching Netflix on his PS3 and it froze. Once we tried to turn it back on it just turned itself off and the light started blinking. It's from overheating.

Have you ever airdusted your PS3 before? Weird that you mentioned that it was the fat model though as my friend's PS3 was the slim model.

Not the YLOD...two TOTALLY different internal problems...tell hi its the YLOD is like telling him to go look for the wrong problem if he wants to fix it himself. Yes the end result is that its a paperweight in both cases but completely different when it comes to fixing the problem.

Yes the fat PS3s YLOD and Overheat it is rather common in that version of the PS3. I have only heard few and far between of a slim YLOD or Overheating but is possible.

Ghost Assassin

Quote Originally Posted by tsuave View Post
    You're not making me feel much better.
    Well, you could try some fixes, but look on the bright side, if you need to buy a new ps3, you could buy the new classic white ps3. Where do you keep your ps3? If it was in an enclosed space, then i tcould have overheated. Also, try vacuuming the vents of your ps3 to remove dust that's inside.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post

It isn't the YLOD...it isn't a symptom of the YLOD as the YLOD gives no symptoms.

It is simply this and I hate to say it. You PS3 has overheated...If got too hot for the fan to cool down the system and it has gone too far, notorious on the fat PS3s and I am suprised yours lasted this long.
    Babow...overheating is symptomatic of YLoD in Fat PS3's.

I've had two different PS3's die from YLoD. Both rebooted numerous times either in-game or on-boot prior to the event. Neither just magically hit the YLoD and stopped working - there were telltale signs of overheating ie hard reboots, which is exactly what's happening here. I'm not suggesting it is YLoD in this case, but it is hardware failure.

As soon as you start getting hard reboots from overheating, start thinking YLoD, at least for Fat models. Back up your game saves at all times to protect yourself from a dying console and get it repaired by someone who knows what they're doing.

There are a few fixes..You can do it yourself (not really recommended) or you can pay Sony 100 or 150 dollars whichever it is to fix it for you. But the best thing to do is go buy a new PS3...they are expensive and not everyone has the money, I know. But it will be the only thing that will be able to fix the situation rather then paying to get it fixed and running into the problem down the road again.
    I agree that buying a new PS3 when the old one won't boot is the best option, but it's not an option if you want your saves back. Nor is sending it to Sony - you might as well piss your money up against the wall, your saves are toast as soon as Sony touches it (been there, done that) and their 3 month warranty is worthless.

The best option is to get it fixed by a third-party PS3 repairer IF you want your saves back. They'll diagonose the problem, suggest the appropriate fix, backup your saves if possible and send you home with a 12 month warranty. Sony won't do that.

If you've backed up your saves, DIY repairs won't hurt given it's a dead console anyway. Give it a bash, retrieve your saves (sometimes works, sometimes doesn't), then toss it and buy a Slim which is significantly less likely to die of overheating-related issues.

Venire, Videre, Vince

Did you see the ad on this site, try endless electronics.

Currently Playing:
    Cid's gaming activities

Rockstar | Bungie
    xEl_Cidx's La Conquista checklist

Unete al grupo: Jugadores Espaņol

Deathless Destroyer

The red light CAN lead to the YLOD, though not always so. My fat YLOD'd and it never overheated due to overuse - I believe something went wrong with either the motherboard, CPU, GPU, or power-box. Unfortunately I do not know exactly what the cause of the YLOD is, though it is an internal hardware error related to both.

While I may be headed off-topic, the red-light may be a problem relative to the CPU and/or GPU, which is located underneath the fan inside the PS3. I highly suggest that you do not fool around with the PS3 if you don't know much about computers and how they work, as you may end up damaging it more. Sending your PS3 to Sony or an experience "techie" is an option, though you must know that the fee is almost as much as paying for a new 120GB slim PS3 (AUD 200 last time I checked), so you may as well buy a new PS3 instead.

FINAL NOTE

If you do decide to open up your PS3, do note that the warranty will invalidate (if you still have warranty left) upon removing the warranty sticker located on the left side of the fatty models and (I think, though I haven't checked and have no reason to check) on the bottom of the slim models.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

You can try to wait a day or so to see if letting it cool down will allow you to restart it but I have never seen one overheat and make it out alive.

If you remember when you got your PS3 it came with a big yellow tag telling to make sure that you dust your PS3 and keep it off the carpet to prevent static build up in the system. The vents prolly got clogged and has been running with the fan on super loud.

Thank you. If it's dead, that's fine. I'm not happy about it, but at least it's an answer. I just wanted to know if it's something that can be repaired (reasonably) or if it's just time to replace it. If it could be fixed by me, great. If it could be fixed by a tech (and the fix would make it like new) for under $100, that'd be fine too. Or if it just has to be replaced, and it seems like that's my answer.

Again, thank you.
    My PS3 Plats:
    My PS4 Plats:

Lvl 3 - Bronze

It means your PS3 has been overheated. NEVER PUT YOUR PS IN A CORNER OF THE ROOM!!

I had the same thing on my old console 60GB and i didn't know what it was or how to fix it so i called the helpdesk.
    They said they can fix it for me but i would have to wait for few weeks. Anyway i just bought the new model few days later, i couldn't wait that long lol.

If i were you i would get/buy a new PS3.