China considering lifting ban on video games

This is a discussion on China considering lifting ban on video games within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Found this interesting. I didnt realize it had been 13 years since the ban was put in The China Daily ...

PRO Member

China considering lifting ban on video games

Found this interesting. I didnt realize it had been 13 years since the ban was put in

The China Daily is reporting that the People’s Republic of China is considering lifting a 13-year ban on video-game consoles. Apparently, back in November, the PlayStation 3 received a certification from the Chinese safety standards. Rewind to 2000, and the government established the ban because according to their own research, it would jeopardize the mental stability of children’s minds.The China Daily, an English language newspaper in the world’s most populist country, quoted an unnamed source within the Ministry of Culture. “We are reviewing the policy and have conducted some surveys and held discussions with other ministries on the possibility of opening up the game console market,” said the mole. “However, since the ban was issued by seven ministries more than a decade ago, we will need approval from all parties to lift it.”Although, according to Reuters the Ministry’s Cultural Market Department denied it. “The ministry is not considering lifting the ban,” the official, who identified himself only as Bai, told the publication.Because of the report from The China Daily, Sony shares traded 8 percent higher, while Nintendo saw a rise of 3.5 percent in Tokyo.If the ban is lifted, and all signs are pointing to yes, even though the Chinese government is denying it, for now. But their credibility is sometimes questioned. And with the PlayStation 3 getting it’s approval from the country’s safety standards, along with a source within the leadership, it’s safe to say that some people over there will be playing video-games on their TV… Just maybe not Grand Theft Auto — but it’s a start, right?But the best news out of all of this, is the possibility of potentially millions of new gamers the industry could have. This could be especially useful right now because let’s face the facts, the console market has taken a fiscal hit over the last few years. And this could be an enormous economic boost for the industry.
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

Group platbar by DaRe_xLw

Saints Row IV

Are they out of their minds?
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Harvester of Souls

Didnt realize it had been that long either. That's pretty crazy. Hopefully for them it gets lifted. That'd be cool I guess, but online will suck more now haha. If they're allowed that. Everything is so restricted and insane with them.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by NeroRadec707 View Post
    Didnt realize it had been that long either. That's pretty crazy. Hopefully for them it gets lifted. That'd be cool I guess, but online will suck more now haha. If they're allowed that. Everything is so restricted and insane with them.
    I doubt that it will be that mainstream that quickly. It will more than likely be a "crawl,walk,run" type of thing. How much would it suck if this happened:
    1) China lifts ban
    2) Only games allowed in China ar Hannah Montana and Teminator Salvation
    3) Chinese ask to have ban reinstated

In all seriousness, could atleast help pump some money into the gaming market and who knows...few years and it could be huge over there
    My old (PS3) PSN trophy collection: http://psntrophyleaders.com/user/view/Jaggy2872#games

-i- love myself.

Wow they must be going crazy...

Deathless Destroyer

There was a ban on computer games??
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Rangers F.C

Never even knew they were banned , that is fucked up , no wonder there economy is doing so well , no gamers taking sick days for the new GTA
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 4 - Silver

Well, hey, it's a People's Republic, which means you gotta give the people what they do and don't want. Which means, no video games, because people definitely don't want video games.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

Wait I'm lost, hong kong has a Playstation store
    so I thought they had Playstation 3's there already
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    Wait I'm lost, hong kong has a Playstation store
    so I thought they had Playstation 3's there already
    Hong Kong is technically part of China but is it's own seperate entity. They have their own currency, legal system and parliamentary system so they abide by their own rules for the most part. And yes...I just looked that up for you

Lvl 5 - Silver

about time
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

13 years without a single video game.. or consoles? both? all? Jeez. No wonder we never come across Chinese on the gaming net. Vietnam on the other hand...

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Chocobo Master

If China going to be a nanny state with people importing certain games then we can expect to read how people will get 2 or 3 yrs in jail for smuggling in banned/playing certain illegal games. Think about how many games will need to get a remake because some Chinese people may feel it's being cruel towards them? Once China starts in on the market then that said product will definitely become watered down.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

Rangers F.C

Are they allowed unrestricted access to the internet ?
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Platinum Dohvakiin

One would think that the most counterfeit producing country on the planet, would be selling their own version of the PS3 and 360 buy now. Oh wait they probably are, just not to their own citizens. It will be interesting to see how strict the Chinese Government goes about approving which games are 'acceptable' and which ones are not.

Sig & Avi by:Stupot00
    PlatzReign Supreme
    MLB2K11 Trophy Guide

Currently Playing:Lightning Returns:FFXIII, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Call of Duty: AW

The One and Only

I never realized it was banned from China, I was hoping at least violent video games were banned, while the more mild and child friendly games were allowed. Hope their ban gets lifted.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig, Avy, and Bar Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist getting revived soon!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop, currently open!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Lvl 4 - Silver

Unrestricted access to the Internet? Not even close. All of that kind of stuff is heavily restricted in China. They even tell you how many children you can have.

PRO Member

LOL shit is not going to happen! If they are allowed to start playing video games again China will probly just start making theyre own games that comply with what they believe is OK. Online play on the otherhand will not happen! Censorship is a bitch. I would like to say that if consoles and some games are allowed in China in the near future, good for them its a start!