Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My 6 Year Old Son Finished Uncharted 3 by Himself

This is a discussion on My 6 Year Old Son Finished Uncharted 3 by Himself within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Some of you need to loosen up and get a grip. So, he let his kid play UC3, he didn't ...

PRO Member

Some of you need to loosen up and get a grip. So, he let his kid play UC3, he didn't give him a gun and tell him to go outside a kill stuff. Since he let his kid play a violent video game, his kids going to grow up and go on killing sprees or something equally crazy? Give me a &[email protected]$ing break! Games/guns don't kill people.... Crazy ass people kill people.

EDIT: also, congrats to your son. That is an achievement at 6 years old.
    Sig by Alison//Avatar by kid420247//PPS BAR by RaveNScythE18

Ice Cream Firefighter

My 9yr old late last year played & got to the end of Ninja Gaiden 2 couldn't get the plat but who cares she is so much better then I was at her age at 9 I hadn't even played a game that wasn't hand held I remember when my grandfather gave me my first handheld you had to jump back & forth between the turtles without them swimming down for food

Nintendo actually sold these to make the money to make the NES

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

So the people saying he shouldn't be allowed to play underage games, are also on the side that violent games are the cause of violent crimes?
    I think it's awesome that he's managed to beat Uncharted 3 at that age. I was just dying on Doom over and over (side note: I haven't ONCE, gone to a monster infested castle and killed anyone in real life )

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisValentine View Post
    So the people saying he shouldn't be allowed to play underage games, are also on the side that violent games are the cause of violent crimes?
    I think it's awesome that he's managed to beat Uncharted 3 at that age. I was just dying on Doom over and over (side note: I haven't ONCE, gone to a monster infested castle and killed anyone in real life )
    I said that he shouldn't play these type of games yet, though I never said games are the cause of crimes...
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Chocobo Master

Not necessarily, I feel he can do whatever he wants as a parent with kids but if his choices being bad or good later on his child life will draw attention to his parenting skills. Most people with kids take this very serious where most people without sees it as an achievement for a young gamer. I see it as we can't predict the future.
    Avy, Group Bar and Sig done by DaRe
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -- Martin Luther King Jr.
    Come and Join Us!!!

PRO Member

If he's intelligent enough to get through a game like that, I'm under the assumption he knows pretty clearly what's right or wrong in real life.
    Who knows, he might grow up to be a badass treasure hunter/explorer now

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    There are some super-fags all over this thread.

Congrats to your kid. All I had at that age was Donkey Kong and Asteroids.
    I know my opinion comes off as conservative, but as a life-long video game addict, I don't want the same for my kids, so I control and limit their exposure like a prison guard.

I've also seen first-hand what exposing young kids to violent games and movies can do to them as adults. My best mate's kids are all great gamers who were pulling off point-blank jumping AWP headshots in Counter-Strike at age 8, which admittedly was awesome at the time, but in their 20's they're emotionally-detached fuckups at real life. You can put that down to bad parenting by letting kids do adult things before their time and to being their mate instead of their parent. Choosing the parenting path of least resistance by letting them do what you do is just plain lazy.

Violent games don't necessarily lead to violent acts (I've never known a violent gamer), but they can be a catalyst for an unhealthy mind. If you're desensitised to violence, you seek out ever more graphic depictions of violence. These same 20-something kids I know don't bat an eyelid at Internet videos of suicides, accident & murder scenes, rapes and beheadings and it is linked to their father exposing them to it at a young age. Aside from being just plain fucking wrong, they've lost a good chunk of their humanity and I won't do that to my kids.

I also don't think kids should be wrapped in cotton wool and should be prepared for the shit life can throw at you like violence, sex, drugs, strangers and death. But there's no need to rush them into adulthood by deliberately exposing them to adult life concepts at a very young age. Whether that's video games, movies, music, magazines, comics, web sites or books is irrelevant.

If the dude wants to let his 6 year old play Uncharted and feels he's mature enough to handle it, then good for him. There are huge fine-motor control benefits to letting kids play video games at an early age, eg many surgeons put their steady hand down to gaming as a kid. But there's a tonne of good age-appropriate games out there that my kids will be playing instead of M15+ titles at age 6.

As Jay said, you don't know what's in store for your children in the future, nor do you know how your own actions will negatively impact their lives. As a parent, you do your best to protect your kids and let them just be kids. I want my kids to enjoy my favourite hobby with me, but it'll be Lego, Kinectimals and Skylanders, not Halo, Call of Doody and Uncharted.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-29-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think this topic has probably been blown a little out of proportion, due to all the recent events... but I think this is really about parenting styles.

My parents were really strict - I wasn't even allowed to watch the Simpsons!

Ultimately, it comes down to life experiences: as a parent, what kind of life lessons would you want to teach your child as they are growing up? At what age do you let them go out to the movies with friends? At what age would you expose them to alcohol? At what age would you talk to them about sex? At what age would you let them start dating someone? How do you control their internet usage? Would you strictly/loosely follow the age rating systems for games/movies/tv shows/toys?

It is the parents' job to make these tough decisions (but I guess even if parents do take a stand, sometimes the child will go against it - but that is part and parcel of being a responsible and caring mother/father).

I really respect the parents of today because there are so many more things to worry about... Personally, I'm not sure I'm ready for parenthood yet!

God of War (2010/08/29) God of War II (2010/09/06) FIFA10 (2010/09/16) God of War III (2010/09/18) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2010/10/05) Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (2010/10/11) Assassin's Creed II (2011/07/11) Trine 2 (2013/05/27) The Walking Dead (2013/07/15)

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by brotherfranciz View Post
    Would you strictly/loosely follow the age rating systems for games/movies/tv shows/toys?
    The guidelines are made for the lowest common denominator, ie stupid people. The kind of kid who eats paste and shoves crayons up their nose.

I reckon they should be followed loosely, within 3 years of an age bracket. For example, my 3 year old does 6+ year old stuff with ease and my 1 year plays with 3+ toys without issue, but leaping from aged 6 to M is a bridge too far. Aged 12 or 13 is more appropriate for M15, most of us have our shit together by then. Aged 15 or 16 for 18+, depending on experience and personality.

Let kids be kids...most of adulthood sucks.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-29-2013 at 06:56 AM.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Kids often understand more than we think, but intelligence doesn't always translate to emotional maturity. A kid can understand the motions and making a strategy for the game, but may not be able to fully process the complex emotional and societal issues that are raised by the topics and scenarios presented in the game. The guidelines are there for a reason-- MA Mature audiences means that there is content contained that is generally expected can only be handled by someone who is of a well, mature audience. It may contain graphic violence, drug usage, sexually suggestive themes, harsh language and other content that would not be appropriate for someone who doesn't have a maturely developed mind. Sure, there may be an exceptional kid here or there who may be able to handle it, or it may simply seem like they're handling it, but in fact rather they simply don't understand it but are nevertheless being subtly influenced by it, or are having trouble dealing, but don't want to admit it.

Even Final Fantasy VII I wouldn't let a kid play. That game got away with so much crap, that I think it's almost lucky it managed to slip by with only a T for Teen. Threatening "I'll chop them off"? A heroic character who's a chain-smoker? Characters who regularly swear? A cross-dressing sequence complete with an adult-themed inn and a Group Room and #@%# Room? Yeah, none of the later Final Fantasys got away with anything close to that.

Since Aug. 09

There are some super-fags all over this thread.

Congrats to your kid. All I had at that age was Donkey Kong and Asteroids.
    lol i agree...i have a 7 yr old, she new the difference between real and fantasay at 3. comments in this thread are the reason people blame video games on everything now. kids that grow up shooting schools have screws loose in their head. not Nathane Drake.

Dominate!

PRO Member

You know what I, changed my mind reading this thread. My parents wouldn't even let me watch Dragon Ball because they thought I'd become a violent beast or something, so I don't want to be that guy.

It is pretty impressive that he finished Uncharted 3.
    Last edited by annare41; 01-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Wow thats really good kids these days suck at gaming. At least the ones in singapore my neighbour who is 10 coulddnt beat Arkham city without my help. And i have seen many other kids who are bad at gaming also

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by kiona05 View Post
    lol i agree...i have a 7 yr old, she new the difference between real and fantasay at 3. comments in this thread are the reason people blame video games on everything now. kids that grow up shooting schools have screws loose in their head. not Nathane Drake.
    Exactly so annoying to see comments saying oh u let ur kid play a violent game.

Lvl 4 - Silver

uncharted is rated teen for 13 year old.
    Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games
    Are awesome

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Randy66 View Post
    13, really? Is that the age that teenagers start being teens?

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

That's good for your son. I wish I was growing up with today's technology at that age. Hope they have a wonderful gaming life ahead of them.

Nope...at eleven-teen
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Naughty Dog need to step up there game then. I remember me as a six year old playing Crash Bandicoot 1 and nearly tearing my balls off. It's impossible. Still is now... That's how kids learn man, that's how they learn.

Good on your kid though man, pretty awesome.

PRO Ninja

yes in Norway

check my awesome plat list if you dare: CLICK ME!

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Randy66 View Post
    It's MA15+ in Australia for Strong Violence.

Yeah it is. 10-12 are tweenies as in between children and teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by kiona05 View Post
    The reality is video gaming can be a contributing factor to a nutball losing a screw. The recent school shooting where the kids were shot is proof of that. But it's no more a contributor than TV, movies, comics or music before it, so we can't and shouldn't blame video games.

The blame lies with the parents for not doing their job, or for failing to recognise signs of mental illness, or no blame can be apportioned to them at all because sometimes people just flip their lid.

The point is kids at 6 or 7 aren't emotionally mature enough to handle the content, whether you think they are or not. Exposing them to violent games leads to desensitisation to real-life violence, increased aggression and decreased helpful behaviour. That's a fact, just as video gaming improves hand-eye coordination is a fact, gaming improves mental acuity is a fact, and the link between childhood obesity and video gaming is a fact.

Disputing these facts is ignorant, just as blaming video games for mass murder is ignorant. You need to research the other side of the fence before you can categorically call it bullshit.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 01-29-2013 at 07:03 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast